Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 07 5.7 Crewmax 4x4 brand new, love this truck, but ever since I have hit the 50 000 mile mark things have been going wrong.

1. The vinyl cover on the large center console came apart at the front edge, looks like it shrank, because it is a shaped cover cannot be re-stretched got to be recovered.

2. When changing from 4 wheel to 2 wheel dive while driving a large banging sound occurs as it transfers, can actually feel the thud sometimes in the cab. It makes no sound when changing from 2 to 4 wheel drive.

3. The volume control now has gone on the radio, can't turn it up or down.

Must be bad luck all these things start in a couple of thousand miles of each other, still love my truck, but with the cost of these trucks new I would have thought Toyota would have been more careful with the quality of there product.

:frustrated3d:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you accelerating when going into 4-HI ? You should be at a constant speed or decelerating when going into 4wd. That's the only time I have heard the banging sound you speak of. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Foot completely off the accelerator when switching, only started happen in the last couple of weeks, I run it in 4 wheel drive each month as per the owners manual for about 10 miles, if I have not used in during the month at the house in the country.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If you continue to have issues with the radio and want to upgrade I have a Kenwood I had in my 2007 CM I pulled out before I sold the truck for sale in the classifieds.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Bought my 07 5.7 Crewmax 4x4 brand new, love this truck, but ever since I have hit the 50 000 mile mark things have been going wrong.

1. The vinyl cover on the large center console came apart at the front edge, looks like it shrank, because it is a shaped cover cannot be re-stretched got to be recovered.

Mine just started too. I had a Wet Okole cover on it that I took off to wash and never re-installed.....I need to find it again.

2. When changing from 4 wheel to 2 wheel dive while driving a large banging sound occurs as it transfers, can actually feel the thud sometimes in the cab. It makes no sound when changing from 2 to 4 wheel drive.

No noises here

3. The volume control now has gone on the radio, can't turn it up or down.

Your platinum warranty would cover that.....you did buy one; right???

Must be bad luck all these things start in a couple of thousand miles of each other, still love my truck, but with the cost of these trucks new I would have thought Toyota would have been more careful with the quality of there product.

:frustrated3d:

And Toyota is thinking you should be more careful with your spelling......:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Foot completely off the accelerator when switching, only started happen in the last couple of weeks, I run it in 4 wheel drive each month as per the owners manual for about 10 miles, if I have not used in during the month at the house in the country.

Are you switching into 4 wd when it is wet or on dirt? If it is dry pavement most 4wd systems will make a noise when you disengage due to the tension that gets built up and then released from being on dry pavement.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I dunno. People always go on about 'how much these trucks cost'. Really, for what you get, not at ALL expensive. If you want craftsmansship, then you need to spend many many times more. If you want reasonable quality (and an iffy volume knob and a loose cover is hardly earth shattering), then we're right at what we should be paying.

Hell, I paid 22499 for mine brand spanking new. Thats like $4 a pound. Cheaper than a mediocre steak, and it lasts longer too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dunno. People always go on about 'how much these trucks cost'. Really, for what you get, not at ALL expensive. If you want craftsmansship, then you need to spend many many times more. If you want reasonable quality (and an iffy volume knob and a loose cover is hardly earth shattering), then we're right at what we should be paying.

Hell, I paid 22499 for mine brand spanking new. Thats like $4 a pound. Cheaper than a mediocre steak, and it lasts longer too.
I think what he was trying to say is the newer Toyotas just aint the rock solid vehicles of the past....and they aint gettin any less expensive.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I think what he was trying to say is the newer Toyotas just aint the rock solid vehicles of the past....and they aint gettin any less expensive.

Exactly how far in the "past" do you want to go???

My '07 Tundra is far beefier/more solid/stronger than my '95 T-100.......You know, the truck that Toy dealerships actually stock a firewall re-enforcement plate to keep the paper thin firewall from cracking.

Maybe you mean the 1st Gen Tundra with tiny brakes and basically tacoma sized running gear???

Or are you comparing our current trucks to the sludging V-6's where Toy lost a class action suite??

Enquiring minds want to know.:beatsme:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The vynil trim on the console is odd to do that in my opinion. The clunk I think just happens over time, but would definetly have it looked at. As for the radio, should never have kept it. Those are the biggest pos toyota could buy. Everyone seems to have issues with it, but usually faster, within the first few months.

Ditch the radio, its junk. The rest I would look into.

enjoy the drive!!

chucky

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The vynil trim on the console is odd to do that in my opinion. The clunk I think just happens over time, but would definetly have it looked at. As for the radio, should never have kept it. Those are the biggest pos toyota could buy. Everyone seems to have issues with it, but usually faster, within the first few months.

Ditch the radio, its junk. The rest I would look into.

enjoy the drive!!

chucky

How do know which radio he has??? Aren't there 3-4(?) different head units.

Are they all junk??

Mine's fine.....(it's the 6 disc unit) actually don't mind the sound at all considering it's a factory piece.

Again, my center console is doing the same as the OP.......but my dogs are back and forth over it all the time. It's certainly better than a buddies GMC truck and another friend's Dodge Charger where the side bolster of both drivers' seats is completely worn away.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Exactly how far in the "past" do you want to go???

My '07 Tundra is far beefier/more solid/stronger than my '95 T-100.......You know, the truck that Toy dealerships actually stock a firewall re-enforcement plate to keep the paper thin firewall from cracking.

Maybe you mean the 1st Gen Tundra with tiny brakes and basically tacoma sized running gear???

Or are you comparing our current trucks to the sludging V-6's where Toy lost a class action suite??

Enquiring minds want to know.:beatsme:
No problems with my 96 T-100 (2.7) and I had a 95 T-100 (3.4) I wish I had back, talk about tough. Oh and by the way I've had 1st gen. Tundra, tacos, regular Toyota trucks (22r) , (22re), (3.0),(3.4), and I love my 07 crewmax but believe the quality is not as good as most of my previous year trucks!:eek:

·
Registered
330 Posts
How do know which radio he has??? Aren't there 3-4(?) different head units.

Are they all junk??

Mine's fine.....(it's the 6 disc unit) actually don't mind the sound at all considering it's a factory piece.

Again, my center console is doing the same as the OP.......but my dogs are back and forth over it all the time. It's certainly better than a buddies GMC truck and another friend's Dodge Charger where the side bolster of both drivers' seats is completely worn away.

Started having problems with my so called 6 disc unit, so I replaced it with an awesome Kenwood!:tu:

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
No problems with my 96 T-100 (2.7) and I had a 95 T-100 (3.4) I wish I had back, talk about tough. Oh and by the way I've had 1st gen. Tundra, tacos, regular Toyota trucks (22r) , (22re), (3.0),(3.4), and I love my 07 crewmax but believe the quality is not as good as most of my previous year trucks!:eek:

Well, I CURRENTLY have the T-100 and the '07 in the driveway......absolutely no comparison in quality. The T-100 is literally a tin can. I love how the hood looks like a bowl of jello at 65MPH...LOL!! The 2.7L will last forever no doubt, but the rest of the truck not so much.

Grew up in So.Cal and remember the Toy pickups of the 70's/80's with beds literally rotting off of them.....I remember the two latches for the tailgate. Rangers of the era (early 80's) were much thicker/stronger mini trucks.

What's a "so called" six disc unit"???

Hope Kenwood has improved their rep.....one of the worst for reliability not too long ago.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Didn't know TS had spelling police! :D

Had to pick out sumpin' since the OP had such little substance.

"Waaaaaaa..........my vinyl center console is tore." :baby:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, I CURRENTLY have the T-100 and the '07 in the driveway......absolutely no comparison in quality. The T-100 is literally a tin can. I love how the hood looks like a bowl of jello at 65MPH...LOL!! The 2.7L will last forever no doubt, but the rest of the truck not so much.

Grew up in So.Cal and remember the Toy pickups of the 70's/80's with beds literally rotting off of them.....I remember the two latches for the tailgate. Rangers of the era (early 80's) were much thicker/stronger mini trucks.

What's a "so called" six disc unit"???

Hope Kenwood has improved their rep.....one of the worst for reliability not too long ago.
Drive my 96 T-100 every day 2.7 runs good with 100k plus (hard job site miles). Back fender wells starting to rust but she still has a lot left in her. Had 90 model 2wd with 22r , probably best truck ever owned!

Kenwood works just fine!

You know that 6 disc unit!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't worry about the clunking noise thats normal. Ever Toyota I owned has done that except my 88 pickup. The 01 tacoma, 06 tacoma and now my 09 tundra does the same thing. Took the 01 and 06 back to the dealership when i heard that noise and they said thats a normal for toyota transfer case to make that noise when disengaging out of 4wd.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Drive my 96 T-100 every day 2.7 runs good with 100k plus (hard job site miles). Back fender wells starting to rust but she still has a lot left in her. Had 90 model 2wd with 22r , probably best truck ever owned!

Kenwood works just fine!

You know that 6 disc unit!

Oh, I'm sure the motor will last forever......I'm just always questioning this so-called "quality" some are always whining about.

My T-100 was bought with about 100K on it......paid $500 for it because the previous owner thought the clutch was gone. I replaced the clutch and could still not engage 1st gear.

Started doing research:

The T-100's are well known for cracked clutch pedal brackets AND cracks in the firewall.

The "seam" between the wheel wells and the bed floor is separating......it does look like the same tech Toy used on early 2nd Gen. tailgates.

The before mentioned hood jiggling.

In the 30K miles I've owned it, I've replaced the A/C compressor and a starter.....not complaining, but certainly not the holy grail like some people claim.

I MADE my little sister buy a Toy pickup in the early 80's........when the Ranger came out in '83 there was no comparison. Everything from the double walled bed to door hinges were beefier on the Ford. I know most people would rather have a 22R over a Pinto motor, I can accept that, it's the "quality" BS that leaves me perplexed.

Toys had always been tinny, cheap, utilitarian transportation with bullet proof drivetrains.

The 1st Gen. Tundra was certainly more refined then previous Toy trucks for sure, but at 7/8ths the size of the comp, it was still lacking.

Needless to say, I'm not a Toyota fan...........but I am a Tundra fan. In '07, the comp wasn't close for the features I wanted. And so far for me the "quality" and reliability of this truck has been the best I've ever owned.......including the "so called" six disc unit.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Ya, I pretty much sum up all the radios in these vehicles as "iffy" at best. Seems like many people I have read here, have problems with them all. If yours works, great, but as for me, i swapped it out. Ya had the 6 disc, just I trade out all my radios.

I just did some reading here when I got my tundra and had thought about leaving it in, but I saw soo many posting of issues with the radios, none spacific, I just went ahead and swapped them out and gave it away.

But thats just me. If you look around the posts you will find lots of unhappy folks with the radio. Usually in the first few months of owning it. I just avoided the issue. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts