1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
feels more like a titan to me. i am definately happy with what i have

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven’t driven one, but my impression from looking at a bunch of them at the local dealership last week was “too big, too expensive and not particularly impressive”. It’s definitely “not the truck that’s changing it all” like Toyota likes to boast, since I can’t see how it’s all that different from the comparable GM, Ford and Dodge offerings. Like 90% of truck owners, I don’t need one that can pull a horse trailer or haul logs, or go from zero to sixty in six seconds. I need something just like the 2006 Tundra, which is what I already own. Although it’s still pretty early in the game, I’m thinking Toyota might have blundered in trying to go head-to-head with GM, Dodge and Ford in the “full size” truck arena. That market’s already saturated, and with the rising cost of fuel, people are already looking for smaller, more economical vehicles. Sales figures for the new Tundra so far have been less than stellar, and Toyota’s already offering rebates on some models. I think most truck buyers, unless they’ve had a bad experience with a particular brand, will stay with the brand they feel most comfortable with when it comes time to look for a new vehicle. If the new Tundra was less expensive, maybe more die-hard Chevy, Dodge and Ford owners would consider a switch. I bet we’re going to be seeing more incentives on the Tundra in the upcoming months.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I went and drove the BIG AND CRUDE truck this weekend and posted "over there" my feelings about it. Whoa, how dare I slander the mighty BIG AND CRUDE truck!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

SHeesh. What wusses. :D
I know what you mean :D. I had to babysit a thread over there last week :td::td:...buncha people were getting their panties all wadded up because a couple guys stepped off the party line :rolleyes:.

Six second 0-60? Yes, I need that :devil:. I'll be waiting patiently for a 5.7L to hit the skids, then I'll pick up the drivetrain and be on my way with a 5.7L in my 00 Access Cab :D.

-Sean

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've been posting over there a lot too, and oddly enough I've been finding myself sticking up for American trucks (even though I own an 06 Tundra and an 05 4Runner). Some of the posts over there are so ridiculous, like the Tundra is just so far and away the greatest vehicle to ever be built. I understand being happy with what you own, but it seems some people are trying to convince themselves as much as they are everyone else. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is like this, but some are. You'd think that 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times are what makes a truck capable over there.

It's gonna be funny in a year or two when one of the other trucks takes the Tundra over in something like 0-60 or 1/4 mile or whatever, to see how everyone reacts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
With props to Emo Phillips for the original routine which sums up most discussions where enthusiasts cling-on just a little too hard and lose sight of the bigger picture. Just replace the religous references with, "do you like cars & trucks?", import or domestic, Toyota or Nissan, Toyota cars or trucks, SUV Trucks or Pick-Up Trucks, the Tundra or Tacoma, the new Tundra or old Tundra....

"I was walking across a bridge one day, and i saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. so i ran over and said "stop! don't do it!"

"Why shouldn't I?" he said.

I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"

He said, "Like what?"

I said, "Well...do you like cars or trucks?"

He said, "Trucks."

I said, "Me too! Import or Domestic?"

He said, "Import."

I said, "Me too! 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?"

He said, "2 wheel drive."

I said, "Me too! SUVs or Pick-Up Trucks?"

He said, "Pickup Trucks!"

I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you a Toyota truck guy or a Nissan truck guy?"

He said, "Toyota Trucks for me!"

I said, "Me too! Are you a Toyota Tacoma guy or a Tundra guy?"

He said, "Toyota Tundra for me!"

I said, "Me too! Are you a 1st generation Toyota Tundra guy or a new, 2007 Toyota Tundra guy?"

He said, "Why a 2007 Toyota Tundra guy!"

I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off."

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have a 2003 AC. I drove the 2007 a few weeks ago. I liked the truck, but it's not the earth shattering revolution that some would like to assume. It does run well and stops better than my truck. However, I really like the size of my AC. I'm not sure that I could fit the 2007 in my garage w/o some work. If Toyota would stick the 4.7L in the Tacoma, I think that would be my next truck.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I will add that the brakes on the 2007 are soooo much better than my '03. That was one thing that I would really like to have, but I'm not going to pay that much for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I looked at them last weekend. Seems way too big. Its looks as big as a dodge, like they are bringing back the real "full size" like the trucks in the early 70's or something. Just too big for me. I would be happy with a single cab though.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Six second 0-60? Yes, I need that :devil:. I'll be waiting patiently for a 5.7L to hit the skids, then I'll pick up the drivetrain and be on my way with a 5.7L in my 00 Access Cab :D.

-Sean

This is EXACTLY what I am waiting for. I want to fab one of them babies in my 00 and peel out a 35" tire down the dry pavement. That power to weight ratio is going to be STOOPID :D:devil:

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I was a kid my Dad told me NEVER to buy a first year model. He's right and the statistics are astounding. The second year model has half the problems of the 1st. The 3rd and 4th year bottom out.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Bought my first Toyota in 1970 and have purchased ten or twelve new Toyotas since then. Currently own an 05 4Runner SE V8 4X4 and about to aquire a LOW milage 92 Camry LE V6 that will be my daily driver. I quess you could consider me a Toyota fan. I to am not that impressed with the 07 Tundra. In my opinion the only thing lacking in the first generation Tundra was towing power. The size of the truck was perfect, easy to drive and park. Two weeks ago I traded my 01 Tundra A/C 4X4 for an 07 Silverado Classic Duramax/Allison ext. cab 4X4. I paid less out the door then I would have for a comparably equipped 07 Tundra. I hope it will provide me with the same reliability I expected from my Toyotas.

·
1,768 Posts
I know what you mean :D. I had to babysit a thread over there last week :td::td:...buncha people were getting their panties all wadded up because a couple guys stepped off the party line :rolleyes:.

-Sean
Who cares about a 5.7L when you can upgrade the 4.7L's rods and pistons. The most critical and failing part when going over 450 HP at the rear wheels and then put A Single or Twin Turbo Application on it. Pushing it to 800-1000 HP. 0-60 will be 3 secs. or less.

AGAIN here is what I'm talking about:Pics of my 4.7L TT build up for the MKIV swap - Page 9 - Supraforums.com
Be sure to upgrade the Transmission and get a Standalone ECU.

Do Transmission Adapter Swaps like a Tremec 6 speed/German Getrag 6 Speed (Toyota Supra 6 speed) / Ford or Chevy 4 speeds with a Transfer Case keeping 4X4 operations. LEXTREME is doing this and have vendors to buy from.

Would be cheaper than buying from Toyota or a wrecked 2007 Tundra

You're the chop shop man Devin, get to it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
James got a good point. The trans swap would be impossible to do without the standalone ECU though.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Yeah you'd pretty much have to gut the truck, and swap the complete electromechanics from a wrecked 07. It'd be a project for sure.

The Lextreme stuff is REALLY top shelf...great stuff :tu:. It's tempting...honestly tho what I'd like more than messing with the engine is a manual valve body on a 6-speed auto tranny.

We'll see...I've still got at least 70K before I even consider messing with the engine...and probably 270K before I need to mess with it.

·
1,768 Posts
James got a good point. The trans swap would be impossible to do without the standalone ECU though.
Well that's what he's running over on his Project for the 6speed supra manual Getrag (V160)

With an old auto 4 speed I see no problem unless its electronic.

Elaborate for me please.

Honestly I want to do this for a used Tundra and pimp it out:
4 link'd, Front coilover 3 link SAS Caged fully, full rear cage, Engine moved back and Twin Turbo'ed when I get some money together. Like an extra$50K:D total

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the shop getting my ball joint recall done and strolled around the parking lot, looking at several different versions of the 07. The front end did not appeal to me and the silver looking dash did NOT look good with any color other than dark charcoal grey. The tunnel look of the instruments is just wrong and also, they've redone the knobs of the a/c panel to a cheaper looking one. All in all, the interior now looks like a hybrid of the Titan and a Dodge which is to say, like S#*t. Before I bought my 04 DC, I shopped around and looked at the Titan but the blocky, plastic look of the interior (not to mention 1st year rule) dissuaded me from pulling the trigger on that truck. You buy a Toyota expecting quality, not quantity.

·
Registered
387 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts