Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows where the headlight adjustments screws are located. I can't find them anywhere. I noticed my left headlight is slightly higher than the right and I just want to crank it down slightly. I know I can take it to the dealer, but would like to take care of it myself being such a minor thing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows where the headlight adjustments screws are located. I can't find them anywhere. I noticed my left headlight is slightly higher than the right and I just want to crank it down slightly. I know I can take it to the dealer, but would like to take care of it myself being such a minor thing.

Any ideas?
if i remember correctly, i saw it but it's not a screw, more like a worm gear. you use a philips screwdriver and insert it into the opening and turn it. there are two openings, one for left/right and the other for up/down. it's easy to find since everything around the headlight housing is black plastic and the worm gear is galvanized. open the hood, look down, and there it is.

PS if you do the adjustment, please reply to this post with which direction you turned the screwdriver to move the headlight aim up, down, left, and right. thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I had another look and lo and behold, I found the adjustment wormscrews. I only could find the vertical ones however. The left/right adjusters must be well hidden or I am blind.

Behind each headlight assembly towards the fender, there is a vertical slot that a long handle phillips slides down and the adjuster is at the bottom. It is clearly visible. Turning the screw right or clockwise raises the beam, turning it left or counter-clockwise lowers it. I have them adjusted nicely now.

BTW, it was a very easy process. The headlight beam has a fairly sharp horizontal cutoff pattern. However, the beam pattern doesnt slant up to the right like my Highlander did to catch roadsigns. Instead, the Tundra has a flat beam that does not slope up on the side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I had another look and lo and behold, I found the adjustment wormscrews. I only could find the vertical ones however. The left/right adjusters must be well hidden or I am blind.

Behind each headlight assembly towards the fender, there is a vertical slot that a long handle phillips slides down and the adjuster is at the bottom. It is clearly visible. Turning the screw right or clockwise raises the beam, turning it left or counter-clockwise lowers it. I have them adjusted nicely now.

BTW, it was a very easy process. The headlight beam has a fairly sharp horizontal cutoff pattern. However, the beam pattern doesnt slant up to the right like my Highlander did to catch roadsigns. Instead, the Tundra has a flat beam that does not slope up on the side.

and thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah thanks Seadragon. I gotta lower mine since I added the 2in level to the front. Get the high beams from incoming traffic a lot.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the adjustment is only vertical.
There is a horizontal adjuster too that is located near the top of the headlight assembly. You have to remove a plastic cap to expose the adjuster. I guess it is used far less often so it is hidden by the cap.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I guess I was speaking for my model year. Good catch. In any case the headlight adjustments are not as straight forward in the horizontal plane as they are vertically. There are specific photometrics on each sides lens. If you ever look at the beam profile of the two headlights you will know what I mean. They are not just mirrored beam profiles. THere is a specific procedure to align the headlights. Improperly aligned headlights not only can be dangerous but they are less performant for your night vision as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts