Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 07' a couple nights ago. I got the factory remote start with it and I cant stand how the truck shuts off when you unlock the doors. Isn't there a way to reprogram this or something so that it will stay running when the doors are unlocked?

·
Registered
595 Posts
That would be annoying!

I'd like to have that done. What did that run you?

·
Registered
528 Posts
My remote start does not work like that at all. I press lock, unlock, and lock...the engine starts. At this point, the key fob is disabled. You enter the truck using the key. Once inside, place the key in the ignition and turn and then scoot down the road. If you press the brake before putting the key in and turning it...the vehicles shuts off.

If you want to keep the truck running while you hop in the store to get some coffee.....use the key fob just like above and remove the key...truck will remain running and will lock the doors when you exit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mln,

Its like $500. It was part of the deal I got on the truck, They threw it in... So I basically paid invoice. I would not spend $500 out of my pocket for the factory remote start. I bought an aftermarket unit for my wifes car and the range is a LOT farther. It also just works better.

Cooper,

Mine is lock twice within 2 seconds then hold the lock for 3 more seconds.
Either way I unlock the door, remote or the key, it shuts the truck off.

What is key fob?

The unit on my wifes car, you just hold the start button down for 3 seconds, It locks the car and starts the motor. You can unlock the car and it stays running. It only shuts off if you put your foot on the break with out the key in the ignition. Her range is 1/4 mile. Mine says 80' but it hardly works from my front door. I have to point it out the window and the truck is only 30' away. She can start her car from her desk at work, From anywhere in the house or in the check out line at the grocery store, with the car across a very large parking lot.

I wish I had this to do over... :rolleyes: Could have saved some money and had a lot more range!

·
Registered
528 Posts
mln,

Cooper,

Mine is lock twice within 2 seconds then hold the lock for 3 more seconds.
Either way I unlock the door, remote or the key, it shuts the truck off.

What is key fob?
/quote]

The key fob is the small control pad that you use to lock, unlock and put the truck into alarm. I have not tried the range out but I will give it a try and see how far I can be.

·
Registered
595 Posts
CoopS

Is your factory?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the remote starter installed at the dealer a week after i got my truck for $600.. The Toyota web site clamed it work up to 80 feet but that's bull..... Mine works up to about 35' I tried to take it back today but dealer said they can't..... Just ordered a New VIPER 5500 SST that works up to a mile from for $500.00 Viper - Remote Start - Viper 5500

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
here in NM you are asking for a broken window if a crackhead figures there is a running truck with no one in it!! do not know how many a year are stolen cause people wanta warm their cars prior to driving but they mention it a lot on local news!! DO NOT DO THIS unless ya wanta come outside and be missing a truck and f-150's #1 stolen truck here in NM!! no big loss!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn, I'd move if it's that bad.

The beauty of the remote start is the keys are still in your pocket. ;)

The truck is no easier to steal running vs non running.

Read up. If you put your foot on the pedal (or just open the doors in my case) without the key in the ignition, The truck shuts off. :)

Walk out and start the truck with the key and leaving it running to warm up, then you have a case.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
still going to have broken window! nothing wrong with my reading skills lately!! thief will just have a big oops on his face when it dies!! this is not the only city where this crime goes on by the way!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok my question is can you install an aftermarket starter on a new Tundra??? When my 07 Silverado work truck came in I tried to get a remote start (needed for -40 winters!!) but the shop said there was no aftermarket units availible that would work because GM had set up the wiring harness in a funky way since they sell their own over priced starter.....suspect they wanted to force you to buy their system instead.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
My remote start does not work like that at all. I press lock, unlock, and lock...the engine starts. At this point, the key fob is disabled. You enter the truck using the key. Once inside, place the key in the ignition and turn and then scoot down the road. If you press the brake before putting the key in and turning it...the vehicles shuts off.

If you want to keep the truck running while you hop in the store to get some coffee.....use the key fob just like above and remove the key...truck will remain running and will lock the doors when you exit.
Cooper,

Can you confirm that you have the factory (Toyota branded) remote start. Or was it some aftermarket add on. Mine works like the others, not like yours.:cry:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought Coop's was aftermarket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts