Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for a while with maintenance help. But, I have a problem that I'm not sure others have posted about or I can't effectively enough search for them.

I have a 2007 SR5 with 218000 miles on it. I've had it for about 4 years and one problem I've had pretty much the entire time is that the door locks seem to have a mind of their own. Probably 10% of the time, if I lock the doors with the fob and walk away, the truck beeps, doors lock, and doors remain locked and are still locked when I get back. Most of the time, I hear them lock and truck beeps but when I come back to the truck its open. Sometimes the locks open immediately, sometimes its longer. Also, when driving, the doors auto lock when I take the truck out of park. Frequently, I drive a little way down the road and the doors will unlock. There seems to be no pattern (not tied to time, speed, etc.).

A few things I have tried. Door lock actuators are fine, no degradation in performance with many consecutive unlock/lock cycles. The problem is with all doors, not just one. No link to specific doors being problems

Question is: What is the likely cause? It seems to me that it isn't a door sensor. Maybe a short somewhere? Fuse?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Subscribed! My door locks do strange things too. I am often concerned it will lock me out. You've done a better job at clearly identifying the symptoms than I have. Next time they act up I'll pay better attention to the sequence I did before they went wonky.

From memory I believe what's happening is an additional delayed lock or unlock cycle perhaps 10 seconds after I press the FOB. So it locks or unlocks when I press the FOB, then 10 seconds later it does it again and I get worried I will be locked out, or leave the vehicle unlocked. I dunno.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've learned some things about my 08 tundra DC that may be of some help or maybe you already knew. Anyhow...

I've found that if a door isn't completely closed, any attempt to lock the doors using my FOB will prompt an attempted initial lock and then a second later unlock. it could be a short or sensor somewhere or even something to do with the child locks on the rear doors. although that solution is beyond my knowledge.

As for the moving, once you put it in gear and roll away the doors automatically lock at ~12 mph. When I put it in park the doors automatically unlock.

Hope i'm not telling you something you already knew.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That helps. I know for a fact my passenger door sensor doesn't work consistently, evidenced by the dome light coming on intermittently while driving. Fixed with a piece of electrical tape placed over the door sensor in the door jamb. The extra thickness keeps the sensor engaged better with the door closed. If the vehicle is parked and the sensor if right in between open and closed status I could see how the system might react with random locks/unlocks. I'd actually expect the alarm to go off if the doors are locked and the system thinks the passenger door has been opened, so that's probably not the same issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. A few other things I've noticed.
1. I have door locks set to lock when I go out of park and unlock going back into park. Sometimes when I am driving down the road, they will just randomly unlock and sometimes re-lock. No correlation to speed or time in drive.
2. I don't have dome light issues, so that seems to me to rule out bad door sensors.
3. One other thing I've noticed. When the locks are working correctly, when I lock with fob there is a beep, then like 10 seconds later the locks cycle and beep again. When they aren't working right, there is an initial beep but no second lock cycle/beep.

How would I go about checking for a short? Or is there a lock "controller" that might be bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. I had my truck in for service the other day and mentioned the lock issue. Service tech (non-toyota shop) said I had a code for passenger door latch stuck open. So, I need to replace the latch which shouldn't be a problem. I've previously replaced the door checks and have had the whole rear hatch door apart several times for the motor, ecu, handle, latch, and window guides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever resolve the random door unlocking problem? I think the same thing is happening to my 2006 sequoia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts