Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this guys sub job has already been referenced then I appologize, but I could not handle spending all the time to search back through posts. I think this is probably the most space efficient set up I've seen on an '07 DC, I'll definitely be taking some design cues from this guy for my sub box. 4 JL 10s is no joke, I'm not sure if they are W7s but still bad a$$ just the same.

maximus7479 Gallery - Toyota Tundra Photo Gallery

·
Registered
48 Posts
That box looks like what I had in mind only a single sub on one side and an amp rack on the other. I noticed Metra already has a dash kit for the 07 but none of the installers around here say they can get it yet. Not to thread highjack but does anyone know the stock speaker size and if it is deep enough to put after speakers in without alot of trimming away plastic. Looks like possibly 5x7 and 6.5 in the back?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I noticed Metra already has a dash kit for the 07 but none of the installers around here say they can get it yet.
I spoke with a Metra sales rep last week and he stated that they were in production and would be a few more weeks before they are available. He also stated that the wiring harness is the same as last year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I'm still waiting for the delivery of my truck I thought I might head over to the dealership today to take some measurements if they'll let me. I'm sure I won't be able to remove any speakers to check the speaker well depths but I'll at least get theyr size and some other measurements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just went and checked it out and it looks like:
51" across
28" deep to the back of the cab
8" high to the front and closer to 6" in the back

Factor in at least 1" total width of material for the box and you're looking at some pretty shallow subs unfortunately. The guy on ToyotaTalk.net had JL 10W1s which are fine but I love the W7s which unfortunately don't look like they're going to fit. I might have to start asessing how much I'm really going to use that center console;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I might have to start asessing how much
I'm really going to use that center console;)
I was already thinking along those lines. I am also considering doing some type of box that would be quick to remove that would go under the narrower portion of the back seat and just leave the seat always up.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Those are 10w1v2's. Definatly no where close to W7's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was just looking on the JL site and those shallow mount 10W1V2s really kind of suck. I mean I'm sure the system sounds clean but kind of flacid on the power meter. You could MAYBE fit some 8W7s facing the rear passengers heels under there and obviously you would have to shield them from getting kicked but 300w per sub aint bad if you had 4 or something but then with that kind of price including amps you whish you just had one 12 or 13w7 in there. I'm no audio guru but possibly you could build a fiberglass box which was seprated into 4 compartments for each 8w7. If you ported the box you could set up a "snaking" air system kind of like what bose uses. Basically your making the air flow a great distance to the port which give sound a little more bump. I might be talking out my *** right now so someone please stop me if I am but its just thought. Or you can just tear apart the mediocre rear center console and do something really cool with a bigger sub.:D

After thought: I took a seat riding b*tch in the DC today just to check on the leg room and it seems that unless your like 12 your going to have to stradle into the leg area of either side seats anyway. In which case, you could just build something off of the back of the center console which the person riding b*tch would just have to straddle. It's no hot blond but I can think of worse things to have to put your legs around. Plus, it's not like we're ever going to be back there.;)

Another viable option, Alpines Type S series
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SWS-1223D

·
Registered
91 Posts

looks sweet I was looking doing one under the rear passenger seat

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Definatly not going to fit any W7's under there. Also, the W7's may move more, but arent going to be a replacement for displacement. The 4 10's are going to move much more air.

If you are going with 8's, look at Image Dynamics for a fantastic 8", going with 10's, look at Elemental Designs Shallow 10", or the 11kv.2. A pair of either of them would get silly loud in a ported box tuned to 33-35hz and with about 500-600w going to them.

My point is, there is more out there than some W7's. They are great subs, but dont limit yourself to just choosing them. People hear W7 and instantly think "best". There is better out there, just have to know where to look.

Either way, I am jealous that all of yall have 07's:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts