Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 07 Tacoma about 2 months ago and it has 6000 miles on it. On windy days, there is a horrible wind noise coming from (what sounds like) the top of the windshield. It is a very loud, high pitched squeal.

So here is the problem. I live in San Diego and it never gets really windy here. I only hear this noise on roadtrips or if I drive it at 85-90 mph. But it starts making the noise at 65-70 mph if it is windy enough outside. I took it to the dealer and since they can't reproduce the noise, they won't fix it. They drive at 65 mph on the freeway so of course they won't hear the noise. I told them they need to drive it faster to simulate the headwind but they won't do that either.

I took a video of the noise and they watched it. So they acknowledge the sound but can't fix it unless they can reproduce it themselves, which seems nearly impossible considering it might never get windy enough here and they refuse to drive it any faster. :mad:

Does anyone have this problem with their Tacoma? How do I get them to fix it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do a SEARCH on this forum for "Wind Noise". There's PLENTY about your particular wind noise and what the dealers will, and won't do about it. The fix seems to be removal of the windshield and replacement of the gasket with a new one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dosn't work. TacoGuy

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What he said -- this problem appeared with the introduction of the '05 Tacomas. I thought Toyota would have had it solved long before now.

Talk to a different dealer, or a zone rep.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just purchased my 07 Tacoma about 2 months ago and it has 6000 miles on it. On windy days, there is a horrible wind noise coming from (what sounds like) the top of the windshield. It is a very loud, high pitched squeal.

So here is the problem. I live in San Diego and it never gets really windy here. I only hear this noise on roadtrips or if I drive it at 85-90 mph. But it starts making the noise at 65-70 mph if it is windy enough outside. I took it to the dealer and since they can't reproduce the noise, they won't fix it. They drive at 65 mph on the freeway so of course they won't hear the noise. I told them they need to drive it faster to simulate the headwind but they won't do that either.

I took a video of the noise and they watched it. So they acknowledge the sound but can't fix it unless they can reproduce it themselves, which seems nearly impossible considering it might never get windy enough here and they refuse to drive it any faster. :mad:

Yep, it sounds like a high power Kazoo. Scared me good the first time. Dealers don't seem to help on this one. Some have taped off the area and siliconed the gap. Good Luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine has 7800 miles on it 2007 drive I 20 east bound and back west bound Monday thru Friday. I average around 65-70 mph never heard any noise at all

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yotalover, you won't hear it at those speeds unless you have a tremendous headwind. I only heard it on one trip to SoCal, driving into a very strong, gusty quartering headwind. My speed was 75-80 mph, and with the winds, the airspeed against the windshield had to be well over 100 -- quite possibly close to 120. Sounded like a banshee moaning and wailing around the windshield, very freaky. My dealer said he had heard of the problem and offered to reseal the windshield. I haven't heard the noise since, and have not yet taken him up on his offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spoken with 2 dealers and both told me the same thing; they won't fix it until they hear it, which seems impossible with how and where they want to test drive it.

I have opened a case with "Toyota Customer Experience"; not sure what this will do.

I read the threads about the 05-06 having this problem but can't seem to find one about the 07. Yes, you would think they would have fixed this by now. There is no TSB for this problem on an 07 but I never asked if they had it for prior years. Not sure if this will make a difference but I will try.

I will keep bugging them until they fix this...it's just not going to be a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have spoken with 2 dealers and both told me the same thing; they won't fix it until they hear it, which seems impossible with how and where they want to test drive it.
Offer to take a service manager for a ride, with you driving. You don't have to let him look at the speedometer... :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I just got back from my shake down cruise... 1400 miles in 4 days... and I'll try to keep these comments in the right threads :)

First of all, I have a new Prerunner Access Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed... if any of that is pertinent.

Wind Noise... As I was nearing the end of the first tank of gas, I heard this weird moan/humm... or as someone else described it, kazoo sound, coming from the dash area in front of me. I looked down at the gauges and saw that the low fuel light had just come on. I thought... interesting, they've now incorporated a warning noise to go with the low fuel light. I was driving about 75-80MPH when it happened, and it just kept coming and going erratically for a few miles, then I turned off the freeway and filled up with gas (23.2 MPG that tank, BTW).

Didn't hear anything the next couple days, but I wasn't driving very fast, slow surface roads, intown, etc.

Then I started south on 101 along the Oregon Coast. I was driving about 55MPH or so and this big semi passed me going the other way... big gust of wind... and the kazoo was back for just a couple seconds. It then dawned on me that this noise might be wind related, even though it sounds like it's coming from the dash.

Next day on I-5 driving about 75-80MPH again... the kazoo was coming and going again, only at that speed.

So is this the noise you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, that's the sound. When I take Ocean Parkway, which literally runs parallel to the ocean, my kazoo starts playing when I get hit with what feels like a gust of crosswind. It can happen at 60-60 mph. When I'm doing 80 it can be startling, especially if I'm zoned out, on auto pilot. I suppose it's a quirk I'll have to live with given that Toyota hasn't made any changes to the newer model year trucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I just got back from my shake down cruise... 1400 miles in 4 days... and I'll try to keep these comments in the right threads :)

First of all, I have a new Prerunner Access Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed... if any of that is pertinent.

Wind Noise... As I was nearing the end of the first tank of gas, I heard this weird moan/humm... or as someone else described it, kazoo sound, coming from the dash area in front of me. I looked down at the gauges and saw that the low fuel light had just come on. I thought... interesting, they've now incorporated a warning noise to go with the low fuel light. I was driving about 75-80MPH when it happened, and it just kept coming and going erratically for a few miles, then I turned off the freeway and filled up with gas (23.2 MPG that tank, BTW).

Didn't hear anything the next couple days, but I wasn't driving very fast, slow surface roads, intown, etc.

Then I started south on 101 along the Oregon Coast. I was driving about 55MPH or so and this big semi passed me going the other way... big gust of wind... and the kazoo was back for just a couple seconds. It then dawned on me that this noise might be wind related, even though it sounds like it's coming from the dash.

Next day on I-5 driving about 75-80MPH again... the kazoo was coming and going again, only at that speed.

So is this the noise you guys are talking about?
I have same problem with my 2007 tacoma 2by4 prerunner. I video taped oncoming tractor trailer trucks and the noise could be heard clearly as they passed by. I took it to my dealer and show them the video. They just stonewalled me. Told me to bring it in some day and they would have to drive it and hear it for themselves. 20,000 Dollars of my hard earned money and now I have to deal with this CRAP!! Toyota says they care about there customers. I did not get that feeling when I brought the truck in and told them about this DEFECT!! I'm sure more owners would notice this problem if they would turn down there radios & MP3s. This is my first Toyota Truck. To say I'm dissappointed is an understatement..

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have an 05 tacoma, live in san diego, and have brought my car to the dealership numerous times for this kazoo sounding problem w/ no soloutions. The dealership has resealed the windsheild, removed the tab.. or just ignored it saying they can't duplicate the problem. I've been to kearny mesa, toyota san diego, and el cajon. I haven't seen the tsb from the post ahead of me... maybe I'll try again. But this problem really makes me want to sell the damn truck. I recommend printing the tsb and bringing it to the dealer. That's what I have been doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had this problem in my 07 DC. It took 4 trips to the dealership (I made sure it was windy each trip). They performed the TSB, then replaced the molding, then finally replaced the window. Mine was happening sporadically at freeway speeds, but the Service Manager was flexible enough to get it up around 80MPH to verify the problem before calling in the Regional Rep to approve the windshield replacement. Persistence pays off!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I am having now. I'm searching threads here to try and kill the wind noise I was getting on my first road trip with my new Tundra.
I figure I'll have to find it and fix it myself with the impression I get at my Dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just had the Dealer fix mine. The TSB just uses 3M sealant and it turned out messy. I complained to the Service manager and he's putting a whole new windshield on my 2007 DC with 5200 miles. I guess the seal comes with the window.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have this prob as well, however I have a new spin on it. Since my noise seemed to be coming from the DASH area.. or more specifically, it sounded as if coming from the very base of the widshield at the dash... I figured it might be wind as I was at about 75-85 MPH. IF I shut off my blower (I had the AC on at the time) the sound stops. I was wondering if anyone getting this sound could tie it into the blower motor... Based on facts on this thread, I would have to say it sounds unlikely, or maybe when I was leaning forward and listening my foot came up off the accelorator enough to stop the noise... I'll be on the highway for a couple hours this weekend, will test then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found the form today... I've had the wind noise ever since I purchased the '05 DC 4 wheel drive in November 2004. it only makes noise when I'm at freeway speeds or passing a large truck or if the wind is blowing very hard sideways ... I have tried to turn the blower fan on and off (it worked at first) so if you think its the blower or in the duck work you are kidding yourself. it sound like its in the middle of the dash but it's not.
I talked to Toyota today becauce the problem is getting worse.
I have in my hand the TSB from toyota...They said they will not fix the problem because I waited too long, I dont drive it on the freeway unless I'm going on a trip.
The technical service bulletin tell's you to place masking tape across the top and down the sides of the windshield molding where it meets the body then drive the truck at highway speeds if the noise is gone proceed to the repair procedure. all of you should be able to get a copy of this TSB from your dealer ( they didn't know anything about the bulletin till I forced them to look the TBS) it is the latest revision... August 29,2007 and it is for 2005-2007
Tacomas.
I have not had time to do mine but I'm driving to the coast this weekend and I will have tape on the windshield for the trip.
I talked to a glass shop today about the repair and they said they thought they could repair the problem... hope I was some help...most of you were when I found that I was not the only one with the same problem, that's when I got into high gear with Toyota.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts