Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've driven both and it's a toss up. I actually found the Titan more fun to drive and I can get an LE (top of the line ) for about the same price as a SR5 5.7L Tundra. Also considering an 06 Tundra which should be bulletproof.

I've researched on various Titan forums and it seems like all the problems were 04 to mid 05 but of course they are biased opinions on there and anyone who posts problems tends to get shouted down.

Is there any good info on reliability of first year production model Toyota's, specifically trucks.

How was reliability of 1st year T-100, Tacoma, first gen. Tundra ?

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually this thread probably fits better here because I am interested in first year reliability of the T100 and First Gen. Tundra.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra and the only problem I had was the fuel pump went out at 37,000 miles. Besides that nothing really major. The other problems have been minor (brake TSB, and the O2 sesors) compared to that one. My signature tells the rest...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Actually this thread probably fits better here because I am interested in first year reliability of the T100 and First Gen. Tundra.
I bought a 1993 T-100, the first year they came out. I drove it 12 years. There was a recall on the headgasket. I never did anything but routine maintenance and had no problems. It was however, built in Japan.

·
Registered
425 Posts
tundra vs. titan
titan vs. tundra
is the tundra better than titan?
is the titan better than tundra?
Which gets better epa titan or tundra?
Which will sell better, titan or tundra?
Which is faster, tundra or titan?
Which is more reliable tundra or titan?
which looks better, titan or tundra?
and on on on on on on on on on.
this has been done to death!
I thought I wouldn't have to read threads like this again, once the gen1 forum came.
Yeah, and I really believe you accidentally posted in the wrong forum.
Yet, you managed to correctly put your other threads/posts in the gen2 forum.

Anyone else feel this way?

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I figured. I had an early Tacoma (second year) and first year Avalawn and neither gave me any problems. I think Toyota has a good record w/first year production models.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with Cali. This whole Titan or Tundra "Which Should I Pick" thing is getting old. If you want a Tundra then buy a Tundra and the same goes for the Titan. I knew what truck I wanted when I went shopping for my 06 DC XSP and that was that. The point of these forums I thought was for people to talk about their Tundras and for advice when problems arise. Lately all I see are useless and ultimately wasted posts about who is better,faster or better looking in the truck lines. Anyway that is my two cents.

P.S. "TUNDRA ALL THE WAY"

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up w/an 07 CM.

All three were great trucks (Titan, 1st gen. Tundra and 07 Tundra) but I have to admit, the wife made the final decision. She wanted the backseat room of the CM.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Just got my April Consumer Reports mag. The 04-06 Titan is on the list of vehicles to avoid. Their reliability ratings, however, have gone from a much worse than average in 04 & 05 to a worse than average for 06.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an early 97 T-100 and one of the very first Tundras sold at the dealership I bought it at. It was on the first truckload of them that come in and I picked it up the vary day they went on sale.

I ran the hell outta both and never had any issue's with either truck. ;)

Oil and a set of tires for each in About 110k miles combinded between the two.

I personally have NO concerns with the new generation Tundra. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just got my April Consumer Reports mag. The 04-06 Titan is on the list of vehicles to avoid. Their reliability ratings, however, have gone from a much worse than average in 04 & 05 to a worse than average for 06.
I don't disagree with anyone who would avoid the Titan, but I wouldn't do it because of what Consumer Reports says. After all, they also say the Honda Ridgeline is the best truck on the road.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Again, avoid the Titan. I had an 05' and 07'...both were POS! I only bought the 07' early last fall because my salesman said the bugs were worked out....NOT!!!!!! The rear diffs are HORRIBLE, the rattles are everywhere, and build quality is horrific...this coming from a 2-time owner. It does have a nice drivetrain and good storage....BUT THATS IT! Nissan missed the boat big time, and they are not fixing any of the problems on the 08' models (same rearends).

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Titan reliability has been overblown. I did tons of research after reading the Popular Mechanics shoot-out and other excellent reviews of the truck.

I don't live and die by CR and all my research leads me to believe the problems are history.

There's always 1 or 2 guys who get a bad one and then spend the rest of their lives bashing the truck online.

I ended up w/the 07 Crewmax because of the extra space but I would have had no hesitation purchasing the Titan.

AutoPacific Announces 2005 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan with over 40,156 miles and no problems except rotors and pads replaced per tsb. This is a great truck & remember people usually don't post on the internet about all of the non-problems they are having, only people seeking advice or solutions usually do. Not to mention all of the Chevy/Dodge/Ford trolls that come and post negative comments about our trucks!

I hope you have fun in your new Tundra!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan with over 40,156 miles and no problems except rotors and pads replaced per tsb. This is a great truck & remember people usually don't post on the internet about all of the non-problems they are having, only people seeking advice or solutions usually do. Not to mention all of the Chevy/Dodge/Ford trolls that come and post negative comments about our trucks!

I hope you have fun in your new Tundra!
Like I said, if it were not for the poor build quality (rattles, squeeks, etc) and the nissan frontier rear differential placed in the Titan, I would have loved the trucks. That is why i tried an 07' even after the horrific events of my 05'. And, maybe it was bad luck, but both of my Titans were horrible! That is a fact....but, I did appreciate the drivetrain and storage bins and user friendly interior. If Nissan would spend a little money and use a bigger diff in the 08's, I would take another look. But, I have seen pics and they are sticking with the crappy rear diffs even after all the reported problems...and there are alot. Why do you think Toyota put a 10.5" / 4:30 geared rearend in their trucks? Because it can handle the abuse of towing and working (the little rearend of the Titan can not). I hope you get continued good use out of your truck...I just hope you bought an extended warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts