Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Not a fart's chance in the wind....You're joking...I know that;)

It can pull an empty 53' sea container though:D
Haha...I just saw the very end of that commecial, any idea where that commercial may be on the internet??:D

·
Registered
621 Posts
If I did that I would have to wear a paper bag over my head while driving. I wouldn't want anyone to see me with my house behind me on wheels.:eek:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I should add that I have personally seen mobile homes being moved. Keep in mind that they were using a truck that was specifically designed to pulled these homes. Point is, when they hooked up the house, the truck squated (sp?) a good 6". It is physically impossible for a Tundra to tow a mobile home.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I should add that I have personally seen mobile homes being moved. Keep in mind that they were using a truck that was specifically designed to pulled these homes. Point is, when they hooked up the house, the truck squated (sp?) a good 6". It is physically impossible for a Tundra to tow a mobile home.
I guess there is a slight possibility that you might exceed the Tundra's payload and tow rating by a "few" thousand pounds.

Jim

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Try a Ford F150 as they have a fully boxed frame. As their commercial says its hard to drive two of those other trucks at once.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My friend towed his single wide with a regular cab 2wd 6.0L flat bed, 2006 I believe. But of course... it is a diesel.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My friend towed his single wide with a regular cab 2wd 6.0L flat bed, 2006 I believe. But of course... it is a diesel.
Do you know the dimensions of the single wide? I find this hard to believe if it was the standard 14'x70' but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you know the dimensions of the single wide? I find this hard to believe if it was the standard 14'x70' but I could be wrong.
I can't say exactly how long as I'm not really familiar with mobile homes particularly, but I can tell you the following:

#1 My friend is one of those super ******** that will die with the words, "Hey ya'll watch this."
#2 It was OLD, he gave the guy $500 + a gokart for the entire home. I was amazed the tires still held air.
#3 They used his friend's 6.0L, red with a flatbed & dually.
#4 Pulled it about 50 miles down the highway over like 4 hours, I was sure they'd either get pulled over, or it would fall over.
#5 It seemed SOOOO unsafe.

So what's the shortest single-wide from like the early 80's? It was a 2 bedroom 1 bath, with a small kitchen & living room.

Amazingly they pulled that thing all the way from north MS to near Oakland, TN in Fayette County, and even by some miracle pulled it up a gravel road on their farm.

Note: The 6.0L went into the shop shortly after, but that was nothing new, I think he said it was like the 3rd time, and he was a diehard Ford guy. :confused:

Oh, and the house has sat there for over a year and hasn't been touched. That's my hick neighbor, gets stuff and doesn't do anything with it. 23 years old and on his 24th vehicle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think they usually weigh around 30,000lbs. Why do you need to know?
I'm not joking! Just curious. I had no idea how much they weigh, and no one in the mobile home industry could tell me. So I had to ask.

I'm planning on purchasing a trailer sometime this year, and the place I need to haul it from is about 30miles from my family farm. I see these small diesel trucks pulling these trailers everyday in Alabama where my farm is located, and when I purchase one, I was trying to come up with a way to save some money to see if I could haul one myself instead of paying a towing company. But if your telling me these type of trailers weighs over 30k lbs, then yeah my question is funny!:D

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm not joking! Just curious. I had no idea how much they weigh, and no one in the mobile home industry could tell me. So I had to ask.

I'm planning on purchasing a trailer sometime this year, and the place I need to haul it from is about 30miles from my family farm. I see these small diesel trucks pulling these trailers everyday in Alabama where my farm is located, and when I purchase one, I was trying to come up with a way to save some money to see if I could haul one myself instead of paying a towing company. But if your telling me these type of trailers weighs over 30k lbs, then yeah my question is funny!:D

Thanks!

Matt

Don't do it. It would make for a great picture though. I can't even imagine the amount of trolls that would pop up if a picture were posted. Is this the kind of truck you are seeing (see picture)? They're small to make them more maneuverable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I've seen 1ton duallys straining to pull those. Don't know where they were going but they may have been Katrina homes as this was on I-10 in Lousiana.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

Thanks!

Matt
Contact the manufacturer of the mobile home. There's a metal plate affixed on the home with these infos. I'm sure they know. Or contact a trucking company specializing in moving mobile homes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts