Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing an 07' Tundra SR5 TRD DC V8 SB 4x2 and I'm wondering if going with the 4x4 is a better choice for resale purposes down the road or if there are other advantages. I can honestly say I probably will never put it in 4 wheel low because we don't get snow where I live. Also would the 4x4 use more or less gas.

Secondly is there a smoother ride between the 4x2 and 4x4? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

And I was also wondering if the there is a significant difference between the TRD ride and the non TRD ride. I would think the TRD ride is a little stiffer with the shocks and all but I'm coming from a 96' Tacoma and I thought the ride in the TRD 4x2 was incredible. Thx.

·
Registered
281 Posts
4x4 will have a higher resale value. It will also use more gas. 14-18 MPG (City-Highway) in a 4x4 and 16-20 MPG. From other threads its seems that the TRD suspension is a little stiffer than the regular.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I just sold my 2wd DC, it took much longer than I thought, but I had several calls from people asking if it was 4wd. There is good demand in this area for 4WD. Unless you really use it, I wouldn't pay the additional price up front, plus the increased cost of fuel.
I had the TRD package on my 05 DC also, my '07 does not, but my 07 is has a MUCH firmer ride!
SG

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just sold my 2wd DC, it took much longer than I thought, but I had several calls from people asking if it was 4wd. There is good demand in this area for 4WD. Unless you really use it, I wouldn't pay the additional price up front, plus the increased cost of fuel.
I had the TRD package on my 05 DC also, my '07 does not, but my 07 is has a MUCH firmer ride!
SG
So your 07 without TRD has a much firmer ride than the 05 with TRD? Just wanted to clarify. I guess I can't justify paying 3k for the 4x4 when I know I'm not going to use it. I'd rather put that cash into accessories and add ons. When I'm ready to sell my 4x2 I'll trade it in and get another Tundra. Thx.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definately easier to sell a 4x4 when it comes time to do so. My last two pickups would've sold right away had they been 4x4. However, I do not want the added cost per month to have 4x4. I'd only use it a handfull of times per year, so it's simply not worth it.

An extra $3k could be $75/month extra depending on your loan. If you keep it two years you'll have spent an extra $1,800 to have it, which I'm guessing is about what you would gain in resale.

Also gas is $3 we'll say. 24,000 miles @ 14MPG is about $5142. The same @ 16MPG is about $4500. So overall it would cost you $2442 in two years to have a 4x4. As gas prices go up, the more that gap will widen. I hate math, but I think this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Yes,
I've had my 07 for only 2 days, but I'm really surprised how firm the ride is. I don't know if the 20" wheels have that much effect or not.

So your 07 without TRD has a much firmer ride than the 05 with TRD? Just wanted to clarify. I guess I can't justify paying 3k for the 4x4 when I know I'm not going to use it. I'd rather put that cash into accessories and add ons. When I'm ready to sell my 4x2 I'll trade it in and get another Tundra. Thx.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definately easier to sell a 4x4 when it comes time to do so. My last two pickups would've sold right away had they been 4x4. However, I do not want the added cost per month to have 4x4. I'd only use it a handfull of times per year, so it's simply not worth it.

An extra $3k could be $75/month extra depending on your loan. If you keep it two years you'll have spent an extra $1,800 to have it, which I'm guessing is about what you would gain in resale.

Also gas is $3 we'll say. 24,000 miles @ 14MPG is about $5142. The same @ 16MPG is about $4500. So overall it would cost you $2442 in two years to have a 4x4. As gas prices go up, the more that gap will widen. I hate math, but I think this makes sense.
Yeah, I just sold my 96's Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 that I had owned for 11 yrs and did very well becuase guys were looking for the V6 5spd 4x4. I just can't justify going for the 4x4 this time around when I only used the 4x4 on the Tacoma less than a dozen times. I just don't need it.

Do the 18' TRD tires give a smoother ride than the 20's? Thx.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the 18" upgraded alloys and it rides very smooth. Don't know about the TRD's but I'm guessing the different shocks and tires on the TRD will have more effect then the rims.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i work at a dealer and drive lots of tundra everyday. i could not tell that much of a difference between my 07 4x4 SR5 5.7 DC and the same truck but with TRD package when crusing. it is a tad bit stiffer but not a whole lot. maybe the softer michelin tires vs. the BFG is the main difference. i did notice that the TRD package does not lean as much in the corner as my SR5. i ordered my rear sway bar and should get it in a couple of days and will see how it helps my SR5 in the corner. i would love to get the TRD shocks but waiting for someone to lift there tundra and buy the shocks from them at a deeply discount price rather then buying them brand new or wait for Rancho to come out with the RS9000 adjustable shocks.

20 inch rim is very different front the 18 inch rim. not a very harsh ride but you will feel the road more because of the shorter side wall. handles alot better and is responsive too. i prefer the 18 inch rim for the higher side wall so i can run things over (curbs, rail road tracks and man hole) and not worry about damaging the rim.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you don't need a 4X4 and you don't think you are going to use it then don't get it IMO. I don't follow the train of thought to buy an option to help on the resale value. You will not get you full cost of the 4X4 out of the truck when you sell it. The math just doesn't work. Whatever you decide take very good care of it, keep it clean and maintained and resale value will take care of itself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree with the others in that the 4x4 will have the better resale value.
But if you do the math, it's not a good investment upfront unless you need the 4x4.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the others in that the 4x4 will have the better resale value.
But if you do the math, it's not a good investment upfront unless you need the 4x4.
Exactly. It is by no means an investment that will make you money. It is only an option that depreciates less than other options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts