Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would give my 2 cents ( My opinion only of course ) after test driving the new Tundra access cab long bed, big engine. I own an 04 double cab SR5 v8 2wd by the way. Anyway, a view from its exterior says I AM BIG AND BAD ***! I love the 8 foot 1 " bed length and the bed depth. I am a house flipper and this means a lot for picking up materials. I also like the tie down system inside the bed rails. I guess you either like the new look or not.I happen to like it very much. Shame on the critics who rag on the body lines and fake air intake on the grill.Who cares anyway. This new truck gives the driver a new set of functional tools not offered previously before 07. Without going into too much detail about the exterior, let me tell you what I really like about this truck. The side mirrors of my tow package equipped tester, the sweet v-8, back up video assist is very cool (although the video screen cuts off if you have to go back into drive to adjust your hitch alignment ) and the towing capacity.The interior in the LTD is of course more tricked out but thats not what blew me away. This truck finally has a great powerband to torque ratio.I mean that the motor finally feels strong enough to pull the truck effortlessly through any daily driver condition as well as conditions under load.The tranny (6 speed ) shifted oddly like it was trying to find the right shift point at WOT, but since the test vehicle had only 148 miles on it, I am hoping the seals and or clutch packs might still not be broken in, or the tranny was not yet warm enough. From a stand still to 60 it felt more like a big powerfull BMW.Its so big you don't realize how fast you get to 60 until you see it on the speedo.By the way, I did squeel the tires.It sounded great.My 04 though not a slouch to say the least, did not like towing a bobcat and I always felt like I pushed my truck to the limit every time I hauled a maximum payload or a heavy trailer. I still love my truck but I will be getting this new big boy toy.

Thanks for the helpful information and posts by the way.
Jamie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 2 I have driven have been Limiteds (both DC 4X4) no LB I have orded LB SR5 4X4. Both have been very smooooooth on the shifting. I was most impressed w/ the acceleration from 65 mph + to when I looked up & I was doing 90. It seemed it was 2-3 seconds. I found no hunting of gears in any mode (0-60 or 60+). My mother-in-law has an 04 Highlander 2 WD. The 07 Tundra 4X4 is just as smooth. There may be some trannys out there that may not be up to par (being new). What I have driven has been smooth as silk. You must have one of the trannys that aren't shifting properly (for whatever reason -I'm not a technition or engineer)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts