Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Tahoe 23' Toyhauler next week and just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. The specs are here:

Tahoe Lighthaulers & Wide Bodies: Don't Settle for Ordinary. (23FS)

I have a P3 brake controller, a 2007 DC Limited 4x2 with the full tow package and have towed a race car on an open trailer (6k lbs) with this as well as my small kart trailer. The cargo in the trailer is light (shifter karts) and I shouldn't need much water if any where I'll stay so I figure 6500lbs of weight loaded (800-900lbs of tongue weight by guess). The TH comes with a WDH with friciton sway control (not sure of the brand/model when I looked at it). I'm due for some new tires this year so I'll replace them with E rated just to make life easier though I won't do it before trying it once due to timing. I'm thinking I won't need airbags at that tongue weight but I'll get them if I feel I need it. I'll also pick up a TRD rear swaybar since everyone seems to swear by them.

Anything else I'm missing or should consider? I know the Tundra won't have a problem towing it power-wise, just wondering since I've never owned a trailer of this size or any RV I'm missing something despite hours and hours of reading on this and RV forums.

Side question: Is there something that you can do to make the generator automatically come on if the batteries get low and then shut back off when they are charged?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
415 Posts
A 23 footer is small. My old trailer was 27ft and the Tundra didn't know it was behind it....the 37 footer I pull now....you know it's back there. I'd say that trailer is a prefect match for your truck.

As for setting up a generator to come on, you can do it but its gonna cost money. You will need a battery monitor with a programmable controller that when the batteries get to say 11.75V ( http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/voltchart1.gif ) then you would want the controller to switch on a relay connected to the on switch on your generator set and leave it on until the voltage reaches 12.6Vs. As long as your generator can auto start itself and will turn on. I've not seen any products that will do this but it wouldn't be hard to build.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for both bits of info. I figured I'd ask about the genny starter, if they can make a sat dish that auto-tracks satellites, I figured it would not be too hard to do a battery top-off controller.

So I suppose my check list covers everything? Anything else for the RV itself I should consider such as wheel chocks, something for the trailer jack (its manual), etc?

·
Registered
415 Posts
You gotta have wheel chocks unless you want to learn a hard lesson ;-) I have a power tongue jack but had a manual one for years, makes it easier to hook up WDH's. Basically accessorize the RV however you see fit. Some people put out lights on the awning, some put down fake grass, they even make inflatable hot tubs complete with filter systems. I have my RV setup like a second house so when we go out it's ready, has clothes, food (minus spoilables like milk) and everything we have at home that we like to have in the RV

·
Registered
513 Posts
their is a million things you can have for an RV. as someone that grow up in RV's i will say this, you will never have enough water, sewer, and electrical lines. if you think you have enough then 2X it. carry some 4x4, 2x4 and even some 2x6 they will help you level your trailer. to stop the RV from moving when parked it's good to have the back jacks down. if it does not come with jacks in the back get some.

when i was young my parents had a 42 foot elkhart traveler. one of those round ketchup bottles fell out of the fridge. the cap fell off. the ketchup bottle emptied its self all over the floor. as we stopped it rolled froward, as we accelerated it went back. get the picture? good, now get a million budgie cords and tie everything down, including the cupboard doors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, really good info. Is there a good primer somewhere for this stuff for newbie RVers? My parents had an RV when I was in the military and I traveled with them in it some so I'm remotely familiar with what it takes. However, they weren't very savvy and since I'll be doing a lot of dry camping at racetracks, I'm not sure how much water I need since I know I want to take the minimum for weight reasons. Stuff like that I'm sure I'll learn but I would love to know before I use it for the first time in a couple weeks. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Not sure I've seen a comprehensive primer consolidated in one location. rv.net/forums is a large crowd of rv'ers that love to talk. Best thing to do is try driveway camping first, then go somewhere local with a Wal-Mart close by. After that, you should have a good idea of what you need (vs. what someone else needs).

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, I bought the TH last week and am taking it to a race this coming weekend. I had the axles flipped to its been lowered to stock height since this pic was taken:

Towing The Toy Hauler - Photo Gallery

Just towing it around town it should be no big deal for the Tundra, I'll just have to get used to going slower than I normally do.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks good, go have fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tow 32ft (with tongue) 28ft KZ MXT266 8,000 lbs loaded with two quads and plenty of beverages and snacks, clothes, etc and have absolutely no issues. I do make it a practice to load the TH correctly and load heavy to the rear end to reduce tongue weight. I use an Equalizer branded WD setup. I just returned from a 600 mile round trip and the tow could not have been easier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already towed it nearly full of water (roughly 80 gallons) and 25 gallons of gas and loaded for a weekend of racing probably around 7000lbs for 350 miles. It pulled fine though more power would have been nice (I'm over 5k feet and towed over 7000ft passes). The WDH and sway control did great in 30mph winds so overall a great success. This weekend we are taking it camping at the lake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts