Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fuel pump right off the bat because i could not hear it pressure up when key turned on still no start. Have checked fuses, swapped relay. Looking for more ideas. Can evap pump module cause a no start?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Loose gas cap will do it. Possibly no tank vacuum or a leak. You will get dash error lights. Cam.
Would a bad evap module do it?
NO and NO.. nothing to do with it people.

The Control for the fuel pump power involves several relays and fuses. If you turn the ignition on and can probe the #3 terminal of the C/OPN Relay or the Black/White wire of the 4 pin fuel pump connector at the Fuel Pump Control ECU that will tell you if it is getting power like it is supposed to. If you have power there it is in the Fuel Pump ECU or you have another reason the ECM is not turning the fuel pump on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had the same issue for years. I've replaced all the parts mentioned here, and more. What I have found is if you tap the gas pedal as it is trying to crank, it will start. So it seems to me everything is working, except occassionally (maybe one in 50 starts) the fuel pump fails to turn on, and tapping the gas re-sends the message to the pump to wake up, which it then does. So I think a new ECU should fix this, but not sure which one yet. Haven't got that far yet.

Parts replaced to date with no change in symptom:
1. Fuel pump
2. Evap canister
3. Fuel pump relay
4. Starter
5. Crankshaft position sensor
*some of these parts truly went bad, so replacing them served the purpose of ruling them out as culprits as well as correcting another issue
2009 5.7, 283,xxx miles

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sounds like you missed replacing the fuel pump ECM and that may be where the problem is or it not getting the signal from the main ECM. Was it a flex-fuel? There were issues with the alcohol sensors but I don't know if that caused a fuel pump not to run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey really appreciate your response. Mine is not Flex fuel. I'm ready to try a fuel ecu. I'm having trouble finding a part number for it...if you or someone else would be kind enough to share a part number or a source for finding it I would be extremely grateful. I called a local dealer's Parts Dept and they said their system shows more than one ECU which impacts the fuel system, and they do not know which of the two would cause a fuel pump to not turn on with the key in the ON position when bad.
Additionally, do you think replacing the ECU is an easy DIY project or more involved?

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree that one seems more relevant. But I would like someone who is more knowledgeable in this than me to confirm it is not one of the many that says: Computer, Engine Control. They are too expensive for me to simply make an educated guess.
It literally says fuel pump control computer assembly and there is only one on your vehicle and one on the list. If you have any doubt find the part, get the part number off of it and look it up.
If there is anything that says superseded use the superseded part number to replace it.

REMOVAL
1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
NOTICE:
  • Some systems need to be initialized after the cable is reconnected 2009 MY Tundra [08/2008 -        ]; INTRODUCTION: REPAIR INSTRUCTION: INITIALIZATION .
  • After the ignition switch is turned OFF, the navigation system requires approximately 90 seconds to record various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the ignition switch OFF, wait 90 seconds or more before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal.
2. REMOVE FUEL PUMP ECU
(a) Disconnect the 2 fuel pump ECU connectors.

(b) Remove the 2 nuts and fuel pump ECU.

It is a

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you very very much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts