Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom has an 07 Tundra crewmax 5.7L For a while we have had brake issues with violent vibration when hitting the brakes. So I pulled the brakes apart since toyota says theres nothing wrong. I took the rotors to get turned. The fronts were so warped Napa says they could not get a straight cut. So I bought new fronts rotors for it. But the rears they were able to turn. I got new pads all around the napa ultras. I went to the test drive and found the front driver side caliper was sticking and smoke coming off the brakes. So I purchases a new front driver side Caliper today. Drives a little better no smoke or anything like that. But I have this rough front to back vibration when I touch the brakes the harder I press the brakes the worst it gets. The truck is no longer under warranty so stealership is not an option. Any other thoughts? Im stumped on this one

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bent rim? Issues with your wheel bearings? Tire very out of round? Any wobble or noise or anything when you are not braking? How many miles on this truck?

Maybe something "upstream" from the breaks...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Take the wheels off and reinstall the lug nuts to hold the rotor to the hub. Don't tighten them too tight. Use a dial indicator to measure runout while you rotate each rotor. You may have a bent hub or the rear rotors were not chucked properly in the lathe when they were machined. Also, since the fronts got hot enough to smoke, you may have warped a front rotor. A runout test like I described will tell you if you have a rotor with radial runout or thin/thick spots. It's not likely that they have thin spots because that usually is a result of driving with warped rotors over a long period of time.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
This is measuring the runout... http://www.carquest.com/common/downloads/partsTechBrakeCQB 03-02.pdf
Excessive runout is not as easily masked in our trucks because of the design of mounting the caliper to the knuckle or axle. In the past, calipers have been mounted on guide pins to allow the caliper to move back and forth with the rotor. Our calipers are rigidly mounted which does not allow them to move with a warped rotor.

If you lived a little closer to Oceanside than Ontario, I'd take a look at it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
They have had problems with the pads not sliding back and forth and sticking in agianst the rotor causing overheating and pad wear.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My Mom has an 07 Tundra crewmax 5.7L For a while we have had brake issues with violent vibration when hitting the brakes. So I pulled the brakes apart since toyota says theres nothing wrong. I took the rotors to get turned. The fronts were so warped Napa says they could not get a straight cut. So I bought new fronts rotors for it. But the rears they were able to turn. I got new pads all around the napa ultras. I went to the test drive and found the front driver side caliper was sticking and smoke coming off the brakes. So I purchases a new front driver side Caliper today. Drives a little better no smoke or anything like that. But I have this rough front to back vibration when I touch the brakes the harder I press the brakes the worst it gets. The truck is no longer under warranty so stealership is not an option. Any other thoughts? Im stumped on this one

if your in los angeles area bring it by my shop and i will check it out for you free no strings attached but to me it sounds like something isnt installed right ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it for a test drive pulled the abs fuses still does the same thing. Toyota kept telling my mom that the abs system was sensitive but if i disabled it by pulling both fuses it shouldnt work.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
The sticking shoes were factory, I don't know what they replaced with . I had no problems after replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I not one to go to a shop. I feel all shops are a joke and corrupt. I have no trust in taking car to a shop. The rear rotors were still warped. Napa did a ****** job on turning the rotors. I guess they were to big for the machine and they could not get them straight. I went to another shop and it took the guy 4 passes to get them straight. so problem is fixed

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I not one to go to a shop. I feel all shops are a joke and corrupt. I have no trust in taking car to a shop. The rear rotors were still warped. Napa did a ****** job on turning the rotors. I guess they were to big for the machine and they could not get them straight. I went to another shop and it took the guy 4 passes to get them straight. so problem is fixed
Damn if they were already turned once and napa messed that up and you had them done again with 4 passes, I would be worried they will last long at all. I would get new rear rotors too if it were me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After the guy turned them he double check to make sure they is enough meat on them to be safe. They won't be able to be turned again but that's fine. I guess since i really don't have an option

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The rear rotors were still warped. Napa did a ****** job on turning the rotors. I guess they were to big for the machine and they could not get them straight. I went to another shop and it took the guy 4 passes to get them straight. so problem is fixed
...or the rear rotors were not chucked properly in the lathe when they were machined.
:D
Do I get a cookie or something?

Oh, and I am not a "joke" or "corrupt" as you put it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
if you would have taken it to the shop in the first place you probally wouldnt have needed a caliper but i understand you think all shops are corrupt and a joke :td:

there has got to be more to this story ... if napa turned the rotor and it was still warped you would know it right away before even leaving the store i have turned enough rotors in my life to know this .. i will try to take a picture of what a rotor would look like if it was still warped after turning it so you guys can see..

also if your second guy had to make 4 passes on that rotor AFTER napa got done with it then i would bet your rotor is already undersized and pretty much trash ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts