Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a glitch in the automatic shift logic with the 5.7/6spd? Sometimes when in 'D' it will get stuck in 4th or 5th and refuse to hit 6th no matter how light the engine load is. If you kick it over to 'S' and back to 'D' it seems to reset and act normally.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't done enough highway driving to even figure out what gear I'am in. 5 miles highway and 5 miles city each way to and from work. I assume you are using the tach as a guide? What rpm's are the gears coresponding to? Also, I thought the tranny had a type of adaptive learning to conform to your driving. Maybe that has something to do with what you are incountering.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done enough highway driving to even figure out what gear I'am in. 5 miles highway and 5 miles city each way to and from work. I assume you are using the tach as a guide? What rpm's are the gears coresponding to? Also, I thought the tranny had a type of adaptive learning to conform to your driving. Maybe that has something to do with what you are incountering.

Yeah, I'm using the tach for reference. At around 65mph in 6th, rpms should be just under 2K. When it has seemed too high I will kick it over to S (which defaults to 4th gear) with either a single downshift or none at all. Then when kicked back over to D it will shift to 6th. Not a big deal, but strange.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a glitch in the automatic shift logic with the 5.7/6spd? Sometimes when in 'D' it will get stuck in 4th or 5th and refuse to hit 6th no matter how light the engine load is. If you kick it over to 'S' and back to 'D' it seems to reset and act normally.
I have noticed that when the tranny is still cold it will not shift into 6th until its good and warm. Keep an eye on your tranny temp gauge when this happens.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have not noticed this on mine. You are not in Tow/Haul mode are you. I have noticed ahard shif every now and then but that is at low speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you be going slightly downhill?

My '06 AC (4.7 V8) delays upshifts when I'm gently accelerating going down hill.

I know the '07 + 5.7 V8 + 6 speed transmission is all different than my setup, but maybe, just maybe the shift logic was programmed by the same team.

The way to "force" the '06 to upshift was to press the OverDrive button on the end of the shift lever to take it out of overdrive and then immediately press it again.

The '07 doesn't have the OverDrive button, but it does have the Tow/Haul button. Try pressing it twice.

Congrats on your new Tundra.

·
Registered
28 Posts
RunnerBiker may have a point, here in Utah with all our hills mine will down shift when I'm headed downhill and stay in 5th until I'm back on level ground or give it some gas and the engine actually has some load on it.

I know in the owners manual or on the website somewhere it mentions something about it has logic to detect if you are going downhill and will downshift for engine braking accordingly.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Mine will not shift into 6th until the engine warms up but I think this is by design. I have not noticed this issue any other time.

Are you using tow/haul mode?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aw common, you know that south forida has some massive hills...of course you got to be in a submarine to see them.

Sounds like its not something you are doing, or something the truck is supposed to be doing, might be time to go see the dealer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts