Toyota Tundra Forums banner

'08 2WD Regular Cab 5.7L 6-Spd AT 'GRADE'

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  H2O_MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
I was out looking for a newer pre-owned Toyota V8 truck/suv to replace my totally practical '10 4 cylinder Camry LE when I stumbled upon an '08 Regular Cab, short bed, 2wd 5.7L 6-Spd AT 'GRADE' truck. It's the first 2nd generation Tundra I have driven, and I loved it.

After looking around online, it appears that these are kind of rare... do any TS members own one of these? What should I be aware of if I pursue buying one?

I would use it as a daily driver and back up for my '02.
No towing, or hauling big loads.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think the relative rarity is mostly because the bulk of demand was for the Crewmax and Doublecab models.
If those tow side mirrors are not just add-ons by the previous owner, then you have the tow package - upgraded cooling, battery and charging system.
Also, there will be a nice fat trailer hitch out back, good for tailgater defense. Click the thumbnail to see what could live there. It's not mine, but a photo of another Tundra owner's tow setup.

Steve

Attachments

Reactions: H2O_MAN
#4 ·
That appears to be an SR5, that should mean that it's nicely equipped relative to how stripped down some of them are. Mine came with intermittent wipers, bucket seats, floor shifter, carpeted floor, etc. The certain way to know if it's endowed with the Tow Package is to look for a Tow/Haul button in the dash forward of the floor shifter. The things that I would investigate are the Air Injection Pumps (AIP). On cold startups below a certain ambient temperatures, the AIP pumps extra air into the exhaust stream to get the catalytic converters to "light up" and begin burning unburned fuel during rich conditions, like startup. Apparently they are ingesting water and the valves are getting stuck either opened or closed. Toyota will often only fix this once per vehicle but it has happened more than once to some owners. Toyota has also put out a reflash of the ECU to run the pump on shut-down to eject or dry out the system to ideally keep the system dry. There is also a company on this board that makes a bypass for this system. This would not turn me off from potentially purchasing this vehicle were I in your shoes.

Some early 2007 models had an issue with a valve spring breaking. You'd have to get the VIN and check it against the TSB list to determine if this truck is at risk.

Some owners have noticed that the Cam Towers leak oil. These are a few inches below the valve cover gaskets and can sometimes are mistaken for a valve cover leak. Stick your head in to both front wheel wells to look for oil on the block and/or the exhaust heat shields. If it's bad, it will probably smell when hot too. There is (not enough from the factory) grey RTV at these mating surfaces, if there's black RTV there, then the repair has already been done and should not be an issue. I've not read of anyone having further leaks after repair.

I've done the bypass for the AIP on my truck and have had the dealer sort the Cam Tower leak. No regrets, I really enjoy mine. My truck falls outside the valve spring VIN range. I'm pretty sure it was only some really early 07s.

Enjoy!

#9 ·
I purchased a bone stock RWD 2007 RCSB SR5 with the 5.7L & 6 speed column shift today, and I bring it home tomorrow evening. It's not the bucket & console model that I was looking for, but it has everything else I wanted... yes it's White.

For starters, it will need new shocks & tires, interior detailing, and a rear sway bar...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.