Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 sequoia platinum 210k miles, one owner, dealership maintained, very good shape in non rust state (nv).

has nitto crosstek normal load range tires about halfway worn down.

it has this almost turbo prop hummm,,,or whine sound that starts at about 20 mph and goes up to 80, increasing slowly all the way, it is speed related, not rpm related, in otherwords, it stays the same when the tranny shifts, does it whether i am off the gas or on the gas,,,, seems to be dependent on speed so i figure it is the rear end or u joint or possible the end of the transfer case. underneath is super clean, u joints are perfect, drive shaft is perfect,,,,, there is a little rotational play in the end of the transfer case or trannny but didn't seem out of line. however, after jacking up the rear, and turning a tire back and forth, it seems kind of tight to turn and also seems like a lot of play. i am not familiar enough with these rear diffs to know how loose they should be. the third member had some clunking in it when turning tires back and forth.

has anyone encountered a similiar issue and just curious how hard it is to go thu rear end, is it a repair that is financial armageddon?

seems to drive fine, just went on a 1000 mile trip. but the sound is pretty loud, bit worrisome.

thanks for any responds, crossposted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is the rear diff, I think replacing it with a salvage yard unit would be the easiest and least expensive way to go.
yeah, i did stuff like that when i was younger but these days, at our local salvage yards, if a toyota vehicle shows up,,,there are like 50 people that descend on it like pirahna's, and strip the flesh from it in a hour. i am not kidding, it is stripped down to the frame. crazy. especially the old taco's

·
Registered
84 Posts
How certain are you that it's not the tires? My 11 had a very loud sound that I couldn't isolate on my own. It was speed dependent. Ultimately I replaced the tires (with about 1/2 tread left) and the noise vanished. If you're sure it's coming from the rear end, maybe swap front/rear wheels?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How certain are you that it's not the tires? My 11 had a very loud sound that I couldn't isolate on my own. It was speed dependent. Ultimately I replaced the tires (with about 1/2 tread left) and the noise vanished. If you're sure it's coming from the rear end, maybe swap front/rear wheels?
well, i am not certain, that's for sure. just going off how aggressive the tread is, which is not very agressive so i sorta ruled out the tires. it's a hard thing to rule out as i would have to essentially put on new tires to check,,,, and tires are darn expensive these days. not sure if rotating the tires would help as they are the same tire front and rear,,,, but i guess it is something easy to try so i might do that. i am starting to think maybe wheel bearing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
well, i am not certain, that's for sure. just going off how aggressive the tread is, which is not very agressive so i sorta ruled out the tires. it's a hard thing to rule out as i would have to essentially put on new tires to check,,,, and tires are darn expensive these days. not sure if rotating the tires would help as they are the same tire front and rear,,,, but i guess it is something easy to try so i might do that. i am starting to think maybe wheel bearing.
Well, if you have the wherewithal, I'd rotate the tires front/back. At a minimum if the sound is different, louder, quieter, then that pretty much confirms at least some of the noise is tire related. It sucks, I've been there. When I first bought mine, it sounded like a wheel bearing was going. I took it to the stealership, and they said bearings were fine, and the "suspected" it was the tires. I don't recall the brand that was on there, but they looked fine. The noise wasn't so bad that I'd consider dropping $1k on new tires, so I just dealt with it.

Then, a few months ago, after having my Tundra tires replaced, I couldn't believe how much a set of 20" tires had dropped in price. Came out to about $115 per tire, installed. My first 20" tires cost me nearly $900 - but apparently the tire size is much more common now and the pricing has really dropped. So, a few days after doing the Tundra, I took the Sequoia in to have them "looked at". The tire place immediately found part of the radial had started separating. They showed it to me on the tire. Dead center, it was actually bowed in with the tire inflated. Quite scary to know that could have blown out at any moment.

Anyway, I plunked down another $560 and got all new shoes. She runs SOOO much quieter and smoother now. So... If you haven't taken tires out of your differential, definitely invest a little time into swapping them. May be a much cheaper fix (vs. differential work) than you're worrying about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts