1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I believe that they are wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The guy at the dealership that I bought my Tundra from told me that Toyota had bought the rights to the Duramax diesel from GM. That's all that I have heard of it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The guy at the dealership that I bought my Tundra from told me that Toyota had bought the rights to the Duramax diesel from GM. That's all that I have heard of it.
I'd think that would make sense for Toyota. Toyota has already spent a lot of money on the Tundra, between redesigning it and building an entirely new factory for it, and designing a diesel engine and transmission to handle the power would only add to that. That seems like a big investment for a vehicle that they are only planning on yearly sales of around 200,000. Toyota has partnered with GM in the past with engines and vehicle programs.

However, the "I heard it from..." thing adds no credibility at all.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
There are many different possible suppliers including CAT. My guess though is the acutal model year will be at least 2009 if not 2010...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Toy needs to spend money correcting the dash layout first before doing anything else.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Toy needs to spend money correcting the dash layout first before doing anything else.
There's nothing to "correct", it's just personal taste. If they did some market research and found that the dash layout was actually hurting sales significantly, they'd re-do it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I read somewhere that Toyota has spent about 7 years talking and showing prototypes to construction workers, farmers and other truckin' guys to get their input on the design. It certainly is personal taste, but I think they would have researched every aspect of such a new design.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The guy at the dealership where you bought your Tundra is full of sh!t. :)

My ex-gf(we're still good friends) works for Toyota North America in Torrance pretty high up in the accounting dept. and the word from her is that Toyota WILL release a diesel Tundra in mid '08. She said it's already complete, but hidden deep in the bowels of TRD. She's trying to get more info, but certain tech is proprietary, even for Toyota employees. She's been correct on almost everything else she told me about the '07 Tundra, soooo...Now if I could just get some pics, lol!

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeah really. It's attractive, well laid out, big knobs etc. they should just sh*tcan it & start over. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are many different possible suppliers including CAT. My guess though is the acutal model year will be at least 2009 if not 2010...
Agree ^^^

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Toyota has a big investment in Isuzu which helped develop the Duramax so why is so hard to believe the Tundra will not see that type of motor?

·
Schumacher! Need I say more?
155 Posts
I bet it will be badged "CAT"

I have a theory that the new diesel will be badged a Caterpillar. My reasoning? Watch the video clips in the Tundra website for one. The photos and vids have some pretty gratuitous Caterpillar product placements in them. Plus, it just makes sense. Where would Dodge have been without the Cummins name to put on their engine-but that is really a Cummins. I think it is just smart marketing on Toyota's part especially since that market segment (hd diesel) is going to be even tougher to crack. IMHO

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Re: I bet it will be badged "CAT"

I have a theory that the new diesel will be badged a Caterpillar. My reasoning? Watch the video clips in the Tundra website for one. The photos and vids have some pretty gratuitous Caterpillar product placements in them. Plus, it just makes sense. Where would Dodge have been without the Cummins name to put on their engine-but that is really a Cummins. I think it is just smart marketing on Toyota's part especially since that market segment (hd diesel) is going to be even tougher to crack. IMHO
I have been saying this from day one, it will be a CAT or Deere. Mark my words, no doubt in my mind.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts