Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2008 tundra double cab 5.7 with 140k on it. Had a transfer case leak, mechanic, who I've known for a long time, said sell it or fix it. So, he replaced transfer case, now have a vibration at 60-70 mph. Gets worse the longer i am at highway speeds. truck was smooth as silk before the repair. Mechanic dropped driveshaft and lubed. Said it looked good, but didn't check the balance. Still have the issue, although not as bad. This didn't happen before he replaced the transfer. This guy is like family at this point, but I need to figure this out. Before I go to another mechanic, any suggestions as to what to check? I'd hate to have to replace driveshaft only to sell the truck - i don't want to sell with a known issue. I've been reading the forums for info.

appreciate it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It sounds like he didn't align the driveshaft back to it's original position. You have to mark the flanges before you remove it so it gets put back the same way. That's the only thing that makes sense if it was perfect before. The only other thing is the driveshaft bolts are loose. You have to put RED Loctite on those bolts and torque in sequence as well. Unless the weight fell off. Hope this helps, and if you do end up removing it, I would get it balanced just in case. My local driveshaft shop charged me $80 to balance, after installing new U-joints and a center support bushing. Well worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I am going to have it balanced. I looked at it pretty closely yesterday; a weight did come off. I wouldn't think that could cause this, but it looks like it did. appreciate it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like that could be it. At this point maybe consider new u-joints and carrier bearing, and quality parts matter. Then you are set for the life of the truck. Of course it's a Tundra, and you might have to do again at the next 300,000 mile mark. (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reattached missing weight and switched old u joints for better/upgraded ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts