Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this truck last fall and it came with the pictured head unit which I have deduced as a sort of generic upgrade. CD slot just gathers dust and all my tunes are on a micro SD. The only button available for this is the second in from the right which brings up the folders menu. The card is 32gigs with about a quarter space left. When I scroll the menu folders it stops at the Js. The rest is not available. I have removed the card and checked it and it's all there. I haven't replaced this because it works fine, is powerful and suits my needs. There seems to be no other settings to access my tunes. Is this limited access because it is caching the tunes and that's all it will hold or am I missing something? If I can't access all my music on a long trip then I will go for an upgrade but don't really want to. Info on this unit seems to be very limited.
Plant Automotive design Gadget Personal luxury car Cameras & optics

· Registered
409 Posts
I put a Sony XAV-AX5000 last year in my 01'.It took me awhile to realize I wasn't able to see/access all the MP3 music/folders on the 256G thumb drive. Crutchfield (where I purchased the unit) couldn't help and directed me to Sony. Sony told me the unit was limited to the # of folders it could " see". (Wish I had know that before buying the unit) I originally set my folders up with " artist" and then that artist's CD's in sub folders. I thought about setting up main folders, "A", "B", "C", etc. then putting the artists names under those folders alphabetically. Never got around to that. Last week I picked up a 2023 Subaru and put the thumb drive into it's USB. So far it appears I can scroll through " Artist" and then chose any CD's under that artists name.
If you buy an upgrade, and I would suggest Crutchfield, I'd be absolutely clear with them what you expect the ne HU to do. Good luck

· Registered
679 Posts
I usually bluetooth from my phone on my BOSS head unit and can play everything just fine. Some electronics have a micro sd card size limit? Can't tell you why, but it may be the same issue with your HU. Try putting as much of your tunes as you can on a smaller capacity micro sd card and see what happens. I am still trying to find my old car record player in my garage. Who remembers those...lol Chap

· Registered
409 Posts
So just last year that unit displays the same problem? Something I will be sure of before buying is the ability to play all my songs.
Yes and they discontinued selling the XAV-AX5000 within a few months of me purchasing it. I have to add, on the Sony you can go to the flash drive with the MP3's while Apple Car Play is connected but not so on the new Subaru I'm driving. You have to unplug Car Play to see the thumb drive. Might be another feature to ask about when you buy a new HU. Seems like they could have had all this stuff worked out a long time ago.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see the reason for any big name brands any more. Have had 3 Atotos and another one all around the 100 dollar + mark and they did everything and more. Dasaita with a 10 inch screen is supposed to fit right in but I am not going for their 800+ (Canadian) price. Probably go for a top line Atoto 10 inch if I can figure out the fit. Have loaded all my songs on a USB stick and will see what happens when I plug that in. They are also on my phone (Android) and will see if I can play by Bluetooth.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am replacing this unit with an Atoto A6 PF 9inch. The old unit has a canbus module. The question is what exactly does it do and will I need to replace it. I put an Atoto in two of my previous vehicles and I don't remember ever plugging in a canbus module.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question for the aficionado stereo guys. The Atoto is installed and working well. I have however noticed the driver side door speaker occasionally buzzing and cutting out. This after I had to pull the door apart to replace the door stopper and the speaker took a tumble still attached which I think maybe at least cracked some solder joints. With the price of speakers these days it is worth my while to pick up a pair and replace them as they are old OEMs. The Atoto says 45W total per and 24W RMS per speaker. Everything I look at seems to be 50W RMS and above per. Will they still work/sound good with the much lower power coming out of the HU? I am an old fart and am way past 'cranking' it and only need enough clear volume to drown the Tundra drone at highway speed. And I don't want to add an amp. Not sure how these numbers relate to each other so a clarification would be totally appreciated. Totally, dude!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts