Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the the 5k oil change on 2010 5.7 and added AMSOIL 0w-20 Synth and it's pretty quiet. In the driveway, I rev'd her slowly and at 1500 rpm there is a little vibration feel untill about 1700 then smooths way out. Has anybody experienced this or is it normal ? I know I went to a way thinner synthetic and thought maybe that was the feeling of it compared to 5w-30.

Thanks for any input.

Also, she shifts a lot sweeter into gear and into reverse.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
0W20 is the correct weight for the 5.7L. Which Amsoil did you use? I am coming up on mine and am not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The performance difference between 20w and 30w is night and day,the 5- verses 0- is ridiculous.
With oil the way it is here in 2010 just about any full synthetic"brand" will perform well above the "needs" of these motors. For "proven" reliability Mobil1 and Penz Platinum are both excellent full synthetic,easy to find products.

Paying extra for brands like Royal Purple,Redline and AssOil* only pads the advertisers
market accounts.
You can run M1 or Penz-Plat for 10K under heavy duty cycles with no ill effects to the rotating assembly and still not pay what the "flashy folks" want for their brews .
Ask any of the "flashy folks" for independent UOA data and what they provide as "proof" still doesn't cover the added expense the low guy on the "PYRAMID" has to shell out for their stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0W20 is the correct weight for the 5.7L. Which Amsoil did you use? I am coming up on mine and am not sure which way to go.
Just the AMSOIL 0w20. I have been using amsoil for about 5 years in everything. I got tired of going to the store when wanting to do a change and they don't have enough stock of what I need, so it works for me and I like it. Next I'm putting 0w30 in my FJ, it has 50k, so we'll what it does to it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Just why would the engine oil make the transmission work sweeter?
wouldnt. just someone's imagination running away again.

:)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I run amsoil 0w-20 in my truck. When are you guys changing it out at? I did my first oil at 5,000 and put in amsoil. The next one was at 20,000. Is 15,000 too long. I was thinking I should do it every 10,000, what you think? I know they say it is good for 25,000 miles or 1 year, that is too long for me.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
wouldnt. just someone's imagination running away again.

:)
Hey Now....I dont know about youse guys, but MY truck runs better and smoother and all that just after a good car wash!!! When shes clean, shes proud and perky!!! :becky:

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I run amsoil 0w-20 in my truck. When are you guys changing it out at? I did my first oil at 5,000 and put in amsoil. The next one was at 20,000. Is 15,000 too long. I was thinking I should do it every 10,000, what you think? I know they say it is good for 25,000 miles or 1 year, that is too long for me.
Hahaha I have a hard enough time accepting that 5000 is okay. I started to sweat just before my last change.. I was at 5300! I would LOVE to know that I can take my Mobil 1 synthetic (0w20) closer to 10k... Input appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Im at 5026 on Mob1 and am trippin. Cant wait till saturday so I can change it. Ive gone WAY over 3k on Dino in my Tahoe and its fine. Im being a worry wart im sure!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But has anybody felt the vibration at 1500-1700 rpms ???

And as far as my imagination goes, going from P to D or P to R and I here a clunk through the drive shaft and rear end, and then when I put 0w20 in and it's way smooth with no clunk I'm stoked. :tu::tu:

·
Registered
270 Posts
But has anybody felt the vibration at 1500-1700 rpms ???

And as far as my imagination goes, going from P to D or P to R and I here a clunk through the drive shaft and rear end, and then when I put 0w20 in and it's way smooth with no clunk I'm stoked. :tu::tu:
Totally off subject but you "hear" not "here" a clunk...and changing your ENGINE oil will not make the transmission or rear end clunk go away...

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Since we are on the 0-20w oil subject. Does anyone know why Toyota states that the new 4.6 has a recommended oil change at 10,000 miles where as the 5.7 is still recommended at 5,000? I just did 4th oil change and i am using the 5w-20 mobile 1. The service manager told me that if i was using the 0w-20 I could go to 10,000. He stopped and then said. "Oh you have the 5.7 you will have to go 5,000 with either weight oil. It is just on the 4.6 that we recommend going 10,000" What is up with that?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

I change mine out at 10k miles or 1 year. Yes, 15k is TOO long on a new motor; and it's too long without steady used oil analysis reports to keep an eye on the oil's condition. The 5.7L isn't showing signs of being broke in until 22k miles; so i would go 10k for a while before i tried to go longer.

You will be totally safe going 10k mile intervals, but anything over that you need to do a UOA to be sure you're safe. A lot of it has to do with driving style ie; all city/ all hiway/ short trips/ long trips. If you're doing all city, 10k miles is pushing it. But if you do all hiway, 15k is easily attainable. NEVER will you be able to go 25k on ANY oil; period. I know, they CLAIM you can and some people do. But the oil is way over done at those miles, and the TBN is gone.

I run Amsoil in all my stuff, and i like it. But i just did a UOA on my wifes 4runner on the ASL 5w30. 9200 miles, 1 year, OEM filter, K&N air filter and the TBN was 1.88 while 1 is considered SPENT. A lot of this is her driving style ie; all city, lots of starts and stops, motor not totally warmed up to temp, etc... The important thing here is; i know where i'm at with it so i can base my next OCI off it.
All the other wear metals weren't too bad, but silicon read high at 30ppm but otherwise the UOA wasn't too bad.

Well here, take a look. Amsoil ASL--07 Toyota 4-runner--9200 miles/1-year - Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hahaha I have a hard enough time accepting that 5000 is okay. I started to sweat just before my last change.. I was at 5300! I would LOVE to know that I can take my Mobil 1 synthetic (0w20) closer to 10k... Input appreciated!

Stop and think for a bit. Growing up in the 60s/70s the recommend interval was always 5K, then suddenly one day the oil companies were all saying "change your oil every 3K!!!!!!" My 98 Dakota has a recommend interval of 7500 (dino oil) unless lots of harsh driving - like towing.

Now we have even better syn oil and people are all brainwashed into thinking over 3K and their engine will sieze.

Here's a little story for you. Long long time ago toothpaste came in tubes with a little tiny hole in the end of the tube. A genius went around to all the toothpaste companies and told them that for $50K he would tell them how to double their sales. They didn't bite, but finally one did. With 50 Gs in hand, he told them "Double the size of your hole".

People will basically squeeze out the lenght of the brush and if twice as much comes out, they'll have to buy twice as much toothpaste.

Want to know the next biggest marketing genius idea in toothpaste? The Aquafresh triple swirl with 3 neato colors. My god, just think of the number of kids that must have wasted tons of toothpaste trying replicate that triple swirl.

Now back to the oil, the 3k interval was just marketing to get you to buy more freakin' oil!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stop and think for a bit. Growing up in the 60s/70s the recommend interval was always 5K, then suddenly one day the oil companies were all saying "change your oil every 3K!!!!!!" My 98 Dakota has a recommend interval of 7500 (dino oil) unless lots of harsh driving - like towing.

Now we have even better syn oil and people are all brainwashed into thinking over 3K and their engine will sieze.

Here's a little story for you. Long long time ago toothpaste came in tubes with a little tiny hole in the end of the tube. A genius went around to all the toothpaste companies and told them that for $50K he would tell them how to double their sales. They didn't bite, but finally one did. With 50 Gs in hand, he told them "Double the size of your hole".

People will basically squeeze out the lenght of the brush and if twice as much comes out, they'll have to buy twice as much toothpaste.

Want to know the next biggest marketing genius idea in toothpaste? The Aquafresh triple swirl with 3 neato colors. My god, just think of the number of kids that must have wasted tons of toothpaste trying replicate that triple swirl.

Now back to the oil, the 3k interval was just marketing to get you to buy more freakin' oil!
LOL, great analogy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts