Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I drive a 2006 Tundra 4x2 double cab SR5 with factory installed Enkei wheels. This is the story...

1. bought it with Pirelli Scorpio Zero tires. Two months into it vibration was horrible.
  2. took it to dealership and they installed 4 new Falken tires.
  3. had to go back after installation 'cause it pulled to the right
  4. at service time a little after, got another two new tires when they could not align\balance tires properly. It was a 3 day ordeal until they were done.
  5. back for more scheduled maintenance a few months later a got another set of 2 new tires. Same story with balncing and pulling to the right.
  6. so far I've gotten the 4 original irelli's plus 4 new Falken.
  7. Today I went for the 15k service and SAME problem. Rotated tires pull to the right so I'm told they need to call toyota DSM (dist serv mgr) to get ANOTHER 2 new tires approved.
Anyone any idea of what's going on? Have you heard of something like this?

Dealerhsip keeps putting new tires BUT... what do I do when do refuse to in the future, let's say 2 years into the truck?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Maybe the problem is with the wheels?

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've asked them several times if it could be whe wheels and they have said no. I asked them today one more time and the answer was no.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it came from factory with 20 in Enkei wheels and pirelli's Scorpio Zero's. two months into it they were replaced due to vibrations. new tires are same size but Falken.

actual tire size is P295/45 R20 114H M+S. Dealersip had a big wall poster showing all sizes for my truck and both, Pirelli and Falken were there.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
according to window sticker, original before dealer upgrade were
P245/70R 16

·
Registered
528 Posts
Custom wheels from the factory......hmmm dont know about that cause I have never seen it. Are you sure those wheels weren't added on at the dealer when they took delivery?

Even BMW doesn't offer custom wheels...what you see on their site is what they have BUT the dealers on the other hand like to offer different wheels but they are not covered by BMW. The carved wheels...thats a Toyota part and is warrantied by Toyota.

I have been wrong before but...I am sticking with the wheels not being true. Since you have gone through so many sets of tires and allignments...see if they will toss on a set of steelies just to make 100% sure that wheels are not the issue. If that does not solve the issue...they can have there steelies back. I am sure they have several laying around the shop.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe I didn't say it properly... when I bought it brand new from the dealership, it already had the Enkei wheels. It even states that on the window sticker.

·
Registered
528 Posts
maybe I didn't say it properly... when I bought it brand new from the dealership, it already had the Enkei wheels. It even states that on the window sticker.
Then those wheels did not come from the factory therefore Toyota is not liable for them....the dealer may be but not Toyota USA. Have them swap the wheels...you have absolutely nothing to lose at this point. At this point they should be kissing your @ss and be more than willing to do wheatever you ask of them.

You may want to research your consumer rights in your state in regards to the lemon law.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funny u say that... I asked them today to print for me the entire service history of my truck thinking of talking to a Lemon Law attorney.

Too bad I'm gonna have to give up my wheels. They we a big selling point for me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
funny u say that... I asked them today to print for me the entire service history of my truck thinking of talking to a Lemon Law attorney.

Too bad I'm gonna have to give up my wheels. They we a big selling point for me.
I went through the lemon law process with a 2002 Mazda Miata....its not a fun process at all and its not something I would wish upon anyone. If you have any questions though...just let me know.

Your owners manual will tell you exactly what you need to do to get the lemon law process started. Usually its a certified letter to the automaker, once recieved they have 2 weeks to contact you and schedule a last attempt repair of the vehicle. Research your rights and make sure you meet at least one of the requirements. If you happen to meet them all like I did with the Miata...the dealer nor the automaker will have a leg to stand on if the process goes all the way through.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
halem, check out the 1st gen Tundra forum (2000-2006 Tundras). There are many posts regarding the trucks that came from the factory with the 20" wheels and their vibration issues. Here's a link for you, you'll see on the 1st page there's already a few posts about the 20" Enkei vibration. Good luck.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/?daysprune=365

·
Registered
11 Posts
the wheels and tires that came on your truck were port installed in Jacksonville by Southeast toyota. They're our regional distributor .I have the same wheels with Continental
tires. I get a little vibration between 50 and 60 mph. With almost 20k miles
so far tire wear seems reasonable ( I'm guessing 40 to 50k before replacement) . As for the pull to the right, you've got a LOT of rubber on the road and roads here in Fl. seem to be crowned quite a bit . Try driving down the left side of the road and see if the pull changes to the left. If so , it's the road. I've learned to live with these quirks because the alternative is installing
factory stock wheels and tires and I personally like the looks of the 20" Enkei's
I've never had a vehicle that didn't have at least one quirk and and I still don't regret buying an otherwise great looking and running truck. For me at least,
I can't be bothered with continual visits to the stealership or my grossly overpriced attorney contemplating legal action. Life is short... time to play:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had issues with vibration of my Tacoma rims.Learned here that Toyota balances there rims off the lugs if I remember right.That means for Toyota rims a special wheel balancing machine is required since rims need to be mounted differently in it.Went to Toyota dealer and had them balanced and they were perfect.Now knowing this what if the Enkei rims are opposite and balanced off the center hole?Going to a Toyota dealer they may be balancing them like Toyota rims which might be wrong for those rims.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ksdad:

even driving on the left side, where the road's curvature is visible still pulls to the right. I'll check the other forum. thanks everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts