Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the JBL system sound really good with the sub that it comes with? Is it really worth it, and how much is the option? I was trying to see if I should have ordered it in my DC. If it is ok I can still add it at the port.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Search the forum, there are many threads with comments. Search on JBL.

I have designed and installed many custom stereo systems in dozens of homes and vehicles. IMHO: no factory audio system will ever compare with the quality that can be obtained by installing your own custom after-market solution, however many factory systems will be a good value for the money especially if you don't pay the MSRP price.

My Tundra DC Limited has the NAV package with 440w 10-speaker JBL sound and it is awesome. Very clean and clear, no real distortion until you get way above the normal levels even when you like it loud and thumping. A big plus is that it is factory installed and all components are nearly invisible yet it has a powerful sound. If you want to install your own system be prepared for many hours of disassembly and reassembly and you will have to spend at least as much if not more than the factory discount price to get a system which sounds better (including head unit, speakers, amp, wiring kit, mounting kit, etc.)

Sure, the highs and mids aren't pristine on any factory install but in reality this is a waste of money since road noise will cancel out even the best high-mid quality so no sense going overboard unless you plan to sit in your driveway and listen. You can install expensive sound damping materials to help but no need for this unless you are an audiophile and plan to go to competitions, in which case you wouldn't have even asked about the JBL system in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The JBL system sounds very good (not great). The bass could be a bit stronger and the controls are a bit limited but the sound is clean. It does take up space under the rear seat. The best feature of this system is the fact that it plays wma and mp3 CDs. I ripped about 28 CDs to wma format and burned them on to 2 discs. With that ratio, I could keep about 80 CDs worth of music in the 6-disc changer. I no longer have to carry around a big CD case with all my CDs. The Text feature allows you to see the song name as well as artist and album name on the display. I'm very pleased with the system overall and would recommend it unless you are a real audiophile.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Does the JBL system sound really good with the sub that it comes with? Is it really worth it, and how much is the option? I was trying to see if I should have ordered it in my DC. If it is ok I can still add it at the port.
I have it and i think it sounds good. I do want to upgrade the sub without a major overhaul though.

What are they? 8" ?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I have it and haven't heard it yet as my damn ordered tundra isn't here yet.:cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts