Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years I've owned this truck and have been underneath it more times than I care for and I just now noticed that there appears to be no starter motor. I was under the truck the other day replacing the O2 sensors and noticed on the passenger side that the starter motor is not where I'd expect it to be. So , now curious , I start looking around for it and can't seem to locate anything that resembles a starter motor. I've been around and worked on plenty of vehicles of all shapes , sizes and makes , but I'm stumped. Where the heck is it?:confuseda:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
80 Posts
pray to god you never have to replace it. Its smack dab right on top of the engine under the upper intake manifold. It usually takes a top tech about a few hours to replace or it could be an all day affair if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
pray to god you never have to replace it. Its smack dab right on top of the engine under the upper intake manifold. It usually takes a top tech about a few hours to replace or it could be an all day affair if you do it yourself.
Took me about an hour to do. Its really not hard at all.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Took me about an hour to do. Its really not hard at all.
LOL, thats if you know where to find it. When mine went out the first time, i was 17 and went to shmucks and bought one. Took it home got under the truck and went....wtf? truck hit the flat bed the next morning. The second time it happened, it was finals week and i needed it done quick. If it happens again I will definitly do it myself. After investigation it seems like it is fairly straighforward.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been there, done that. It's a nightmare - the kind that makes you call Toyota engineers everything in the book. An all day event for me - I can't fathom how one could do it in an hour.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
How many miles have you all had on your trucks when it failed? Seems like a lot of issues out there with the starter going bad. Just reconfirms why I will keep the Toyota Platinum extended warranty. I am covered until 132K, 0 deductible, just fix it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Had 83k miles on my old motor and never had one fail, and the new motor has 55k and haven't had one fail. I had to however take the intake off and replace the wire harness on the starter when I put in the new motor, which required removing the starter, thats how I know how long it takes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine failed at 98k. It kicked my butt replacing it. Everything about it was a pain, including getting it bolted up to the frame/behind the firewall. It's in such an awkward spot that being quadruple jointed at the elbows and wrists wouldn't be enough. No problem since though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
mine was on its way out when I got the truck with 105K on it. Took me a little while to figure out where the heck the starter was too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts