Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the oppurtunity to buy a platinum edition sequoia with 210,000 miles. immaculate condition for 9k

been to kelly blue book and edmunds and having a hard time getting a used value, there is no option to pick platinum!

one owner, dealership serviced whole life, regular oil changes.

it has the 5.7l engine. i can't figure out if it is a first gen or second gen

how long can i expect engine to last,,,, is a preventative timing belt change needed or water pump

what are common probs with these?

Bookmark
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/12-07-sequoia-info-please.205630/reply?quote=1979247

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Rust, depending on geography. You didnt say where you are or what year the truck is but if you live in the salt belt its not the miles, its time.
Also, do a search on this site about problems with Sequoia's, most of your questions have already been answered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rust, depending on geography. You didnt say where you are or what year the truck is but if you live in the salt belt its not the miles, its time.
Also, do a search on this site about problems with Sequoia's, most of your questions have already been answered.
it is in a very dry southwest climate, the manufacture date is 12/07 ( i put that in the subject) but i think it's a 2008 gen 2. no rust at all. garaged entire life.
i thought there were different probs for different gens.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Sorry, didnt really put it together what you meant with the title. I believe Tundra's were gen 2 starting in 2007 and Sequoia a year later but not sure. Pretty sure the 5.7 only started with second gens. As for problems, yes, different models will have different issues. See the top of any page where it says "Search Community"? Type anything you want in there and hit the enter button on your keyboard to do a search of this site. So in your case type in something like known Sequoia issues. When the page opens change the drop down tab to most recent from most relevant. That should give you an idea of what problems people are seeing come up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i can't figure out is the manufacture date is 12/07 on door, but if i put in 2007 in kbb or edmunds, the platinum option doesn't come up, it only comes up in 2008.

are the 5.7's long lasting engines? been having trouble getting real info on here

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Thats because cars built in December of 2007 were classed as 2008 model years. Usually manufacturers change years in about September, they dont follow a calendar year.
As for problems, they are typical Toyota engines. Pretty much bullet proof. You will always find someone who has had some problems but its not like people go onto a forum to say there's nothing wrong with their vehicle. Cam tower seals or air pumps seems to be a recurring theme but again, not like its that often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats because cars built in December of 2007 were classed as 2008 model years. Usually manufacturers change years in about September, they dont follow a calendar year.
As for problems, they are typical Toyota engines. Pretty much bullet proof. You will always find someone who has had some problems but its not like people go onto a forum to say there's nothing wrong with their vehicle. Cam tower seals or air pumps seems to be a recurring theme but again, not like its that often.
thanks cheapskate, i just remember some of the older toyota engines back when i grew up in the 70's andnd 80's 20r and 22r and others and i think the big killer back then was the timing chain and tensioner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look up the cam tower leak problem. I have a 2011 Sequoia that had it. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. Great way to bring the price down.

Otherwise. the 2nd gen Sequoias are essentially problem free.
The only other problem I can think of with my 2011 (owned since new) is at 140k miles, the torque converter input sensor went out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look up the cam tower leak problem. I have a 2011 Sequoia that had it. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. Great way to bring the price down.

The only other problem I can think of with my 2011 (owned since new) is at 140k miles, the torque converter input sensor went out.

thanks, appreciate. i just bought this one. i am going to start a thread asking about the starter. it has 211k miles on it and still on original starter. i d on't want it to strand me somewhere out in the mountains, thought about replacing it just to be sure. good idea or bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn’t worry about starter. Usually you can hear them start to fail.

Have you done all other maintenance? If you don’t have all the paper records you can check them on https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/service-history

At 211k you are ready for another set of plugs, trans fluid, diff fluids, coolant, belts, hoses, shocks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it has been maintained by the dealer it's whole life,,,what does the starter sound like prior to failing? i have been on that sight and have the service history. sadly no camtower fix, air pump, or starter,,,,, only water pump and they resealed the front timing cover

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
rockwind1
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing