Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering if I'm getting taken here. I bought a used, LTD 01 Tundra recently and some things have gone wrong already.

Keep in mind, there is only one Toyota dealership on the island and they told me parts cost more here. I'm going to read off my "diagnosis" invoice:

Front left power window mounting motor bracket bad. They recommend a new one for $355 and also a new regulator for $123. ALong with labor, 2 hrs for $196. TOTAL $710.

The man did say I could go without the regulator but recommended against it (I think it was the regulator. Either that, or the motor.).

I paid $72 for the diagnosis.

And my engine light problem was an "oxygen sensor, heater circuit" which will cost $180, along with labor of .9 hrs for $88. TOTAL $290

I paid $98 for this diagnosis.

So, if I get everything done, it adds up to almost $1200 and that seems exorbitant to me, but I wouldn't know.

Also (not as important) my AC doesn't work, and when I asked the guy that sold it to me, he said it had never really worked well (cold), even though he bought a higher powered one, supposedly. By the way, he told me to come here because you all know everything, haha.

Mahalo for listening, I will take your advice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go online for the o2 sensor. Denso is the brand. They're about 65-70.00. Not so sure what he means by a mounting bracket but
you can buy toyota dealer parts online for 25% off or go the used route. Labor on the window should be about an hour not two.
and the o2 sensor can be done in 15 minutes. Try a body shop for labor on the window. They'll use a mitchell manual for the
time and their rates are usually much less than mechanical rates. Hope this helps. just looked at online prices.... 78.00 for
the regulator and 226.00 for the motor. If a body shop tells you the glass channels are torn up replace them too, they can
cause a lot of wear and tear on the regulator and motor if they bind the glass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go online for the o2 sensor. Denso is the brand. They're about 65-70.00. Not so sure what he means by a mounting bracket but
you can buy toyota dealer parts online for 25% off or go the used route. Labor on the window should be about an hour not two.
and the o2 sensor can be done in 15 minutes. Try a body shop for labor on the window. They'll use a mitchell manual for the
time and their rates are usually much less than mechanical rates. Hope this helps. just looked at online prices.... 78.00 for
the regulator and 226.00 for the motor. If a body shop tells you the glass channels are torn up replace them too, they can
cause a lot of wear and tear on the regulator and motor if they bind the glass.
Mahalo Shootlist. The invoice calls it a "window mounting motor bracket" and the part # is 85720-0C010, if that helps.

Buying parts online, is there a place you recommend? It may cost a lot to ship to Hawaii, so if there was one in OAHU, that would be much better/cheaper I'd think.

I will look now for a parts place in Oahu, but half to leave to work soon. I'll check back after work, THX!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, first of all, a Toyota dealership will always be more expensive. Take your diagnosis to an independant mechanic for quotes and what they would charge. I mean...they charge you $100/hr labor! That's HUGE! I bet an independant mechanic would charge about $50-60 /hr labor.

Parts thru a dealer are usually expensive too. Those other mechanics can quote you parts costs other than Toyota parts.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As far as parts costs....my fav site is Rock Auto. You can get a Denso oxygen sensor for about $60-70 each, depending on which sensor it is. I hope with paying for the diagnosis, they tell you exactly which sensor it is.

A window regulator would cost $70 on there. Then a new motor is about $40-80 depending on which part you want to go with.

RockAuto Auto Parts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. Don't let those guys rip you off like that. Go to an independant shop or several and get estimates before you commit to anything. Your ac might need to be serviced so ask them about it when you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts