Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading and asking questions on other threads. Thanks to MtClimber and Expo-Tundra for their help as well as Kevin71. My apology for butting into your lift thread. I look forward to hearing how yours works out.

I eventually came around to the idea of a minor lift to a 14 Sequoia SR5 4x4. I really disliked the loose, sloppy handling of the Sequoia from the beginning…. Probably because I was coming from an 06 with an Icon lift and Load Range E TA KO’s. I wanted a little lift and better handling, but not a $5k lift with its resulting CV boot, axle and tire wear issues. Totally loved that truck though and drove it for ten years. Really not interested in as much hard core offroading/challenges any more. Just want to be to get to remote places down forest tracks and desert mining roads.

LIFT INSTALL FAIL:
So today, as soon as I saw the truck when I went to pick it up, I knew something was wrong. The front was way higher than it should have been and much higher than the rear. I had given them the 1" Blitz Auto spacers from eBay for the rear and they had ordered the 5100's all around. I suspected immediately that the mechanic put the front shocks on the highest setting instead of the lowest setting. This was such a concern for me, that I printed them the installation diagram and circled the lower (.87) setting on the paper... The service adviser was skeptical, but took the paper and went to ask the tech - he came back shaking his head - his guy confirmed that he put it on the highest setting because that is what he thought was correct.

Two interesting things:

It looks pretty good and it rides great! Some of my concerns were ride harshness/quality and alignment at the maximum 5100 lift setting. Not an issue at all. The ride home was great. Alignment felt great and there was no harshness, just solid, clean response to large and small bumps. There might be a little more transmission of small road imperfections, but nothing significant to me. The overall effect is great with great steering response and flat cornering.

Could not be happier with the 5100's, but the shop has agreed to remove the fronts, change the setting and redo the four-wheel alignment at their cost. I have used these guys before and they stand behind their work.

For the record, the front wheel well at the max shock height setting is at 38.5 - the expected increase of 2.5 higher than the 36 inch starting point. The rear is at 37.5ish... which gives me a reverse rake of about an inch higher in the front. In order to have the back a little higher than the front for towing, I am having them put them put the front on the lower (.87) setting as planned. That should give me about a half to three quarters of an inch rake from front to back. I think this lift is partly just restoring factory lift/rake.

Currently running P275 65 r18 Michelin LTX AT2. Quiet and competent, but not available in M+S or 3PMS (snowflake). Will probably end up going with Geolandar G015 in the Load Range E LT275 70 r18 when the Michelins wear out. That extra inch of tire diameter will give another half inch of lift where it matters most - under the differential.

Before pic and a pic at the shop attached. Both front and rear wheel wells are at about 36" and you can see there is no rake at all.

In the shop pic, you can see lots of air above the front tires.

Will post some pics later in the week of the final profile.

Also attached pics of the ebay spacer

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey,
I'm in So Cal too. Just about to pick up an 10' Platinum 4x4.
So to be clear you used 5100's all around w/ 1' spacers in the back? (What are the Bilstein model #'s)

Question. I'd like to get the most lift with little to no rake and good ride. What setting should I set 5100's on?

Looks good. Thank You!

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
I'm in So Cal too. Just about to pick up an 10' Platinum 4x4.
So to be clear you used 5100's all around w/ 1' spacers in the back? (What are the Bilstein model #'s)

Question. I'd like to get the most lift with little to no rake and good ride. What setting should I set 5100's on?
/QUOTE]

Hey. congrats on the Platinum 4x4. I love my SR5. You might want to see if you have air bags on the back. I think this changes the part numbers for the rear. Lot of discussion about that on other threads.

Rears are B8 5100 #33-187200
Front are B8 5100 #24-239387

I used the 1" spacer from blitzauto on ebay.

Install was done by my local shop here in Long Beach. Total for installation, including parts and labor was $1150.

I ended up leaving the fronts on the middle setting which raised the front about 1.7 inches. The 1 inch spacer raised the back 1.5 inches. The back was just slightly higher than the front so I am now about perfectly level at 37.75 from the ground to the top of the wheel wells above the hubs. Running boards are about level at 12.75 inches from the ground.

I love the shocks. Improved ride was my main goal and should have done it immediately. The mild lift looks great. I think I actually had some sag and my lift compensated for that, plus a little extra.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just put a 2 inch spacer in the rear and thank me later. They'll probably even buy them since its cheaper than pulling the front apart.

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can thank you now... even though the 5100s are now the middle setting, the front is still a hair higher than the rear and I was researching larger rear spacers. Will be hooking the trailer up this weekend to lower the ball mount so the trailer is level and getting ready for a trip next weekend. Might have to wait till I get back to replace the spacer.

What spacer brand do you recommend? The 1 inch currently installed is from eBay.

Thanks.

Reactions: TacoTundra

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the 5100’s put on my SR5 at the lowest setting in front with no spacer at all. It has leveled the truck almost exactly, so now I am looking for a rear spacer to bring the back up more. Why do you say go to the 2” in the rear over the 1”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the eBay spacer. Ratio is 3:2.
Thanks. Wishing I had a garage..... apt living:eek:hwell:

FYI, Blitz Auto (ebay seller) = Elite Lift (name on shipping docs from Blitz) = www.protunesuspensioncom (notice address)

All have the same address: 4165 Vinita Court, Chino, Ca

Not saying there is anything wrong with this. Common to have multiple marketing channels/outlets. Just info.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Taking notes... :) Looks good! Glad you got yours sorted out. Hope to have answers on mine soon.

Reactions: tbrooks123

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taking notes... :) Looks good! Glad you got yours sorted out. Hope to have answers on mine soon.
How do you like the handling and ride quality with the Dobinsons? How would you describe the change from stock?

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you like the handling and ride quality with the Dobinsons? How would you describe the change from stock?
It rides awesome! Just around my usual local routes and known bumps, it absorbs them better than stock, but I'm not sure if anything is a fair assessment since the height is not where it's supposed to be.

Reactions: Expo_Tundra

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have been reading and asking questions on other threads. Thanks to MtClimber and Expo-Tundra for their help as well as Kevin71. My apology for butting into your lift thread. I look forward to hearing how yours works out.

I eventually came around to the idea of a minor lift to a 14 Sequoia SR5 4x4. I really disliked the loose, sloppy handling of the Sequoia from the beginning…. Probably because I was coming from an 06 with an Icon lift and Load Range E TA KO’s. I wanted a little lift and better handling, but not a $5k lift with its resulting CV boot, axle and tire wear issues. Totally loved that truck though and drove it for ten years. Really not interested in as much hard core offroading/challenges any more. Just want to be to get to remote places down forest tracks and desert mining roads.

LIFT INSTALL FAIL:
So today, as soon as I saw the truck when I went to pick it up, I knew something was wrong. The front was way higher than it should have been and much higher than the rear. I had given them the 1" Blitz Auto spacers from eBay for the rear and they had ordered the 5100's all around. I suspected immediately that the mechanic put the front shocks on the highest setting instead of the lowest setting. This was such a concern for me, that I printed them the installation diagram and circled the lower (.87) setting on the paper... The service adviser was skeptical, but took the paper and went to ask the tech - he came back shaking his head - his guy confirmed that he put it on the highest setting because that is what he thought was correct.

Two interesting things:

It looks pretty good and it rides great! Some of my concerns were ride harshness/quality and alignment at the maximum 5100 lift setting. Not an issue at all. The ride home was great. Alignment felt great and there was no harshness, just solid, clean response to large and small bumps. There might be a little more transmission of small road imperfections, but nothing significant to me. The overall effect is great with great steering response and flat cornering.

Could not be happier with the 5100's, but the shop has agreed to remove the fronts, change the setting and redo the four-wheel alignment at their cost. I have used these guys before and they stand behind their work.

For the record, the front wheel well at the max shock height setting is at 38.5 - the expected increase of 2.5 higher than the 36 inch starting point. The rear is at 37.5ish... which gives me a reverse rake of about an inch higher in the front. In order to have the back a little higher than the front for towing, I am having them put them put the front on the lower (.87) setting as planned. That should give me about a half to three quarters of an inch rake from front to back. I think this lift is partly just restoring factory lift/rake.

Currently running P275 65 r18 Michelin LTX AT2. Quiet and competent, but not available in M+S or 3PMS (snowflake). Will probably end up going with Geolandar G015 in the Load Range E LT275 70 r18 when the Michelins wear out. That extra inch of tire diameter will give another half inch of lift where it matters most - under the differential.

Before pic and a pic at the shop attached. Both front and rear wheel wells are at about 36" and you can see there is no rake at all.

In the shop pic, you can see lots of air above the front tires.

Will post some pics later in the week of the final profile.

Also attached pics of the ebay spacer
Glad to hear the 5100s worked out for you. Sorry you had to go through such a hassle with the shop but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. Truck looks great!

Regarding the rear spacers that same vendor sells 1.5" and 2" rear steel spacers so if you want a little more height in the rear pick up a set of 1.5" spacers and swap them out.

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Expo_Tundra thanks. Will post final pic when it stops raining.... might be a few days though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I 2nd EXPOs thought on the 1.5 or 2" spacer for the rear. I have the 5100s on the highest spring perch up front and the 1.5" ebay steel spacer in the back and My 08 is basically level with OEM springs. I may go with the 2" spacer in the future to give me another .66"+/- of lift in the rear since I load it up often. With the right offset rim you can fit 35"x12.5" with minimal trimming with that setup, I have not tried to fully flex the suspension with this setup though so it may rub more in an off camber situation. I only minimally rub on the left front track bar at full lock.

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Current (final?) lift pic attached. I like it a lot. Headed out to the desert this weekend for some backroad exploring.

Front: 37 3/4 ish --- 5100's at middle 1.8" setting,
Rear: 37 3/4 ish --- 1" spacer with 1168 SumoSpring coil spacer. Level and only a little drop in the rear when towing (might end up with a new 1.5" spacer eventually anyway)
Running Boards: 12 3/4

Tires: still has P275 65 r18 Michelin LTX AT2s with another 15K miles left on them. Will be replaced with 275 70 r18 to increase diameter 1 inch to 33.2

Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before and after pic for comparison.

Attachments

Reactions: Expo_Tundra

·
Registered
55 Posts
Current (final?) lift pic attached. I like it a lot. Headed out to the desert this weekend for some backroad exploring.

Front: 37 3/4 ish --- 5100's at middle 1.8" setting,
Rear: 37 3/4 ish --- 1" spacer with 1168 SumoSpring coil spacer. Level and only a little drop in the rear when towing (might end up with a new 1.5" spacer eventually anyway)
Running Boards: 12 3/4

Tires: still has P275 65 r18 Michelin LTX AT2s with another 15K miles left on them. Will be replaced with 275 70 r18 to increase diameter 1 inch to 33.2

Thanks for everyone's help.
Nice work! I hope if we all post results, the path will be paved for those that follow.

Reactions: tbrooks123

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do the 5100s provide any lift at the lowest setting? It's time to replace the stock shocks and I'm fine with the truck's current height with Revtek's leveling kit.

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do the 5100s provide any lift at the lowest setting? It's time to replace the stock shocks and I'm fine with the truck's current height with Revtek's leveling kit.
See attached installation diagram for the ones I spec'd out for my 14 Seq. Looks like the lowest setting is .87 inch. Also, attached some words on the topic from the Shock Surplus website.

Attachments

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tested out the truck in Anza Borrego Desert this weekend. Tows great even with the P rated tires. Trailer is about 2500 dry (3200 loaded). A little low in the rear, but not much.

Ride quality off road is excellent. Did a few miles to a hiking trail through a sandy, rocky wash that I have been on many times - with my 06 Seq with Icon C/Os and in the 14 Seq stock. I could never stand the harsh ride in either of those without airing down. The 06 with Icons handled the big dips great but was super harsh on washboard and rough stuff. The stock 14 just felt like the suspension couldn't respond to anything... just rattled over the top very uncomfortably.

I was prepared to air down, but started down the wash for a ways first. It rode and handled so well all the way that I never felt the need. Lots of 40 - 50 runs down the wash - super responsive and comfortable. Could not be happier. Some pics of the weekend below. Will try to get some video next time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts