Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously guys, I know it is a truck...a large truck...but c'mon man...15.5 MPG?!?!? I'm running an AFE Pro Dry High Flow air filter, run mid grade 89 octane gas, have tried all the major detergent brands (Shell, Chevron, BP, etc.) and I CANNOT manage to top 16.0 MPG even with cruise set on the interstate. Tire pressure is 35 psi.

How in the world are ya'll getting 17.0+ MPG out of your truck? What am I missing here?

No need to flame...I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Charcoal filter has been removed and I've even run a couple cans of SeaFoam through the engine...still 15.5 MPG.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery was disconnected after the AFE filter install and charcoal filter removal. That has been a couple months ago.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Bleeh, just ignore the mileage and monitor quarter mile times instead. :heh:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't drive 52-57...72 mph to and from work with the cruise set.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hell I get 18.3 with a supercharger as long as I don't get crazy and that's doing 70 mph. Now driving 55 on the interstate I get 24 to 25 average.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
With the varying mileage reports on some of these trucks have any of you checked your plug gap to see if they were off. Seems like people here are either have a truck that gets good gas mileage(for a truck) or gets terrible mileage. The early Dodge Durango's had very similar issues and it came down to the plug gaps being very badly off from the factory. Just wondered if anyone had checked that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I get 19 to 21 MPG avg out of my 5.7 DC 4x4 every day on the highway. Just keep it on the instant MPG screen and keep it above 20 instant as much as you can. You will get a feel for it eventually and notice with only a very light letup on the gas you can go the same speed with much better results. Just watch the screen and it will teach you what you could be doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My truck is 2 wheel drive so its 300 lbs lighter mostly in the nose. I have just under 2000 miles on the odometer. I have had no trouble getting over 18 mpg doing through TN and KY. which are pretty hilly...

Not sure what to tell you. other than unload some extra weight if at all possible.....

You can reset your fuel avg. computer in the dash then calculate off of the actual miles you drive and the fuel you fill up with.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Try the plugs first. I have a lead foot, alot of rolling mass in my tires and I get 14.5 to 15.5 in town. 17.5+ on the highway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What is the specified plug gap?

Also, ideal plug color/pattern? Wonder if some vehicles are caking the plugs with carbon (burning rich, large gap).

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
What tire pressures are you running. At anything below 40 psi you will start to lose some gas mileage.
Mine is registering 16.5 average right now and that is almost all short trips of less than five miles lately. It gets better if I travel more distance and get some expressway miles in there.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Agreed I ran at factory recommened pressures and lost tons of mileage. If you cruise at 60 you should be able to get 20 easily :) I get about 18.9 doin 80 RCSB

1 - 20 of 175 Posts