Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time posting, long time lurker. Time for my 200k timing belt and water pump service. Is there an alternative to the trd 160 thermostat or am i stuck getting one on ebay.
Thank you

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Nick, for the last couple of years I've been running an OEM (180 degree?) thermostat from Toyota. I believe mine failed and was causing the temperature to rise. I've also replaced a couple of radiator caps. If you find an extra 160 degree thermostat, would you let me know where? I did see some generic ones on eBay but not sure if they will fit.

Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
I picked up one of the TRD 160 degree thermostats tonight. I thought they were NLA like everything else for the supercharged 4.7's. The dealership tells me you can still buy S/C belts and pulleys, period.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Mark,

I bit the bullet and bought a trd 160 degree thermostat on ebay. Not sure if you can list ebay links on this site, but a search on ebay will return a couple listings. I think they are all from the same seller in Irvine Ca

Regards

·
Registered
178 Posts
The link should be no problem, although it will be short lived and 'when they are gone they are gone'. I probably should have bought two of these thermostats...

s-l1600.jpg

Toyota TRD Sports Thermostat Supercharger 160 degree for Engine 2UZ-FE V-8 4.7L | eBay

Nick, if your original thermostat is still good, I'd keep using it and save the new one for later. I believe my thermostat failed in the open position so that the coolant just flowed through the radiator and back into the engine, without dissipating heat and causing the engine temp to rise.
Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion, plan on putting new thermostat along with my 200k timing belt water pump change...save old one...just in case of new one failure down the road. Not sure i will have this Tundra at 300k miles....waiting for 3rd gen to come out , that 5.7 is a beast and you dont have the extra maintenance of a supercharger...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello Nick,
My new thermostat, that I bought on eBay, arrived today!
Wow, that was quick -from CA to GA in 4 days.
Thanks for mentioning that you had seen them on eBay. The last time I looked, none were to be found.
When you install the thermostat, remember that the tiny bleed hole with brass valve goes up at the highest point.
Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Nick,

Its pretty straight forward. Gaskets and instructions are in the box under the thermostat, in Japanese - fortunately I went to Japan once.

Drain about one gallon of coolant from the radiator (petcock on lower left-drivers side).
Remove 3 bolts on thermostat housing (follow the large radiator hose on the right side of engine to housing).
Remove old thermostat, install gaskets on new thermostat, install with little 'bubbler valve' up and reverse the steps. ie. install bolts, top up coolant. Start engine and check for leaks.

I like the red coolant that Toyota carries in their parts department. Don't spill any coolant or oil on your belts.

Also, we might be smart to buy a spare supercharger belt (~$45). It and the pulley are the only things that Toyota still stocks for our units.

The Toyota dealerships run timing belt specials fairly often. It seems like the belt change was either $169 or $269, a water pump would have been extra but they said mine looked fine. I recently read a post where a shop installed a new timing belt and tensioner -that failed on start up; bending 6 valves...
Don't go there...

Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
The new 'spare' thermostat arrived today, so hopefully I'll never need another.

On the other hand -I noticed that the new radiator (4 years old) has started leaking on the left side down low where it attaches to the support...

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts