Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have started squeaking when coming to a complete stop and I was wondering if it would be under warranty since I only have 17k miles on the truck or if I should suck it up and put the brakes on myself. I'm never seen pads/shoes go out this quickly before.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine started goin out at about 18k and by 20 they were at 1/16th of an inch. I called Toyota and told them that my brakes were gone at 20k and they said, "bigger truck, more brakes needed more often." not under warranty.I paid $180 for the front brake pads with installation at Johns Import Service on Miramar Road

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Mine squeak too, but there is more than enough meat still on the brakes. Odds are you got kind of metal debris lodged in there causing the squeak. Pull a wheel off and look at the pads.

·
Registered
374 Posts
toyota of fort worth replaced my pads and turned rotors for free with the ball joint replacement. i guess it is all in how you approach the service manager.
i always go into the conversation with the attitude that I expect more from a toyota. especially since i have owned them for 16 years.

fyi........my new ones squeak too. you can always put a shim kit on it that toyotal has a TSB for and load them up with the anti squeal grease.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
load them up with the anti squeal grease.
Definately. Don't use the spray-on blue stuff, get the shim kit from Toyota and use the anti-sieze looking goop that comes with each shim kit. Works like a charm. You can even reuse your old shims if they're fairly clean...one piece seems to be stainless, the other IIRC is not, but usually last a while if you're not in the rust belt.

Also if you find you need to change the components, it's a very easy DIY, not worth the 200-250 for a shop...all you need is a 1/2" drive torque wrench and socket wrench, a socket (I forget if it's 17, 18, 19mm), a jack stand, a (useable) jack, and a couple hours.

-Sean

·
Registered
136 Posts
also try beveling the leading a trailing edges of the brake pads. What happens when you brake hard or drive long, pad dust builds up and squeaks against the rotor. I use Bendix pads that are pre-beveled and i have had no problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also if you find you need to change the components, it's a very easy DIY, not worth the 200-250 for a shop...all you need is a 1/2" drive torque wrench and socket wrench, a socket (I forget if it's 17, 18, 19mm), a jack stand, a (useable) jack, and a couple hours.

-Sean[/QUOTE]

right on. brakes are easy. just replace in the opposite manner that you took apart. give yourself about 2-3 hours for novices. shims do wonders when cleaned and lubed up for the squeal.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't get a squeak everytime I stop just sometimes when I'm slowly coming to a stop I will get a squeak for the last turn or two of the wheel. I'm going to check it out tonight but it sounds like the drum brakes are making the noise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
squeaking brakes is usually just dust. Worn out brakes at 17K is not the brakes, it's driving style...unless you are towing in the mountains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My truck has just passed the 9k mile mark and has been squealing since around 8k. I plan on talking to toyota about it when I get the ball joint recall done. I will let you guys know what happened.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My truck has just passed the 9k mile mark and has been squealing since around 8k. I plan on talking to toyota about it when I get the ball joint recall done. I will let you guys know what happened.
same here! I'm at 12k almost but my brakes have been squealing since 8-9K!:eek: :mad: :td: The pedal feels mushy and I feel like the brakes have a hard time stopping the truck. Thinking bout just replacing them on my own. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got my recall work done today.. They did an awesome job alignment too.... The even took off all brakes and fixed my squeaky problem. Toyota baby woooooo!!:ts:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of your squeeking brake problems are probably the rear drums. They just need to be adjusted. You can do it yourself pretty easily or just have the dealer do it when your in for an oil change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts