Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Making my decision to upgrade the muffler and seen lots of threads about Magnaflow.

I'm adding headers and want to change out the muffler when I'm at the shop. Looking for differences between the 18 and 22". Not looking for loud, but want to know something other than stock is on the truck. Has anyone used both sizes?

Also, seems like performance peddler is the go to guy, does anyone have the correct part numbers for the mufflers? I found something about it a while ago, but can't find the thread any more.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I believe the longer the muffler the quieter the sound. I just put on a 14" Magnaflow, 11226, and think it is a little quieter than my Flowmaster 40's and the drone is much better. I would like to have gone with 22" because I tow, but didn't have time to wait for delivery and Schuck's had this one in stock. Check out youtube and search for Magnaflow 18" and 22" to hear the differences. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I had a 22" on mine for a while, and it was hardly noticeable. I removed it and installed a 14" and now it's awesome. Still not that loud, but you can tell that something is there. The weird thing is that a buddy put my old 22" on a 6.0 Silverado and it sounds mean. It sounded stock on mine.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have to agree on the 14". I really love the sound of it, much better than the Flowmaster cat-back I had on it. It has a nicer growl to it and now that I put a tip on the exhaust pipe it sounds even better. The bonus is no more highway drone! Your buddy is probably pushing out more pressure with his larger displacement engine. Plus it seams every manufacturer has a unique sound. I can tell a mustang is coming down the road as soon as I hear the exhaust. My cousins Silverado has a 14" and sounds nothing like mine. (Mine sounds better :D)

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I've had both the magnaflow and Flowmaster 40 series in 14" length. My resonator is removed to. It is the one that is right in front of the muffler going towards the front of the truck. Both are loud but I think the magnaflow was just a little bit louder than the flowmaster.
I would go 18" just to make it louder.
Personally I think the chevy 5.3 sounds better with dual exhaust than the 4.7 tundra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts