Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at new cm. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of 18 vs 20 in wheels. I like the trd package to have Bilsteins. It includes 18 in wheels. I will try to get Michelins regardless of tire/wheel size since I have had nothing but trouble w stock BFG's on my 04.
Appreciate any feedback.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
The 18 inch wheels have tires which have more sidewall than the 20's. This results in more sidewall flex which is good for off-road or bumpy surfaces but bad for on-road cornering. The opposite is true for the 20's; less sidewall helps cornering ability but can result in a rougher ride on some roads and you are more prone to scuffing wheels or breaking the tire seal in extreme offroading situations.

Hope this helps...:D :tu:

·
Registered
699 Posts
18" tires are usally cheaper to get then 20's and you'll have more selection with 18's

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I am looking at new cm. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of 18 vs 20 in wheels. I like the trd package to have Bilsteins. It includes 18 in wheels. I will try to get Michelins regardless of tire/wheel size since I have had nothing but trouble w stock BFG's on my 04.
Appreciate any feedback.
20's are two more inches of ugly and useless.

Not to mention that the tires cost more.

·
Registered
932 Posts
18" tires are usally cheaper to get then 20's and you'll have more selection with 18's
EEEH, wrong. Had both, way more choices in 20... price, not cheap, but selection, way better.
As for sidewall, go bigger, and you don't have the problem with less sidewall. I don't baby mine at all, and have no problems whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I've got a bent axle, but the rim is fine, go figure...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I've got the 07' DC 4x2 with stock suspension and factory 20" wheels. I liked the look. The ride is as good as our 05' Avalon. I don't off road or race so I don't need the TRD suspension, shocks, 4x4, or any other such stuff. I have not even looked at tires yet. I have 2200 miles on my truck and hope the tires will last 35K or so. Bottom line: get what you can afford. 18" wheels are standard and are included in the price. Any suspension mod is going to change the geometry of the truck and the ride will be different. Shocks, lifts, rims and tires affect handling and ride. So if you are going for suspension mods, buy it stock (cheaper) and mod away. I have seen 07' Tundra tires and rims on ebay as new take offs. This is another avanue to explore...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have seen more of a selection of 20" tires than 18" tires.I find the 20" bridgestone Alenzas to be good tires but some of the trucks are arriving with 20" Dunlops which are terrible on anything but dry pavement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hate to revive an old thread but i thought it would be better than making a new one.

anyway back on this topic, im getting close to making the choice, and i use my truck for more onroad, than off, however ride and logetivity of my tires is a big thing for me...

Pro and Con the 18s vs 20s

I have heard 18s are all around good, and that 20s use more gas and brake pads is this true?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Appreciate any feedback.
theres not really that big of a difference, the 18's are better for off road but 20's are ok too. And for the trd bilstein package, i think you should just buy the stock package and buy some better shocks, like bilstein 5100's

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
hate to revive an old thread but i thought it would be better than making a new one.

anyway back on this topic, im getting close to making the choice, and i use my truck for more onroad, than off, however ride and logetivity of my tires is a big thing for me...

Pro and Con the 18s vs 20s

I have heard 18s are all around good, and that 20s use more gas and brake pads is this true?
Go with 18's. Either way you will have more rolling resistance whether its with 18's and bigger tires or 20's with bigger tires and less sidewall. The difference is marginal. Also I just put on 34.8" Toyo AT's with huge sidewalls and my handling is still great. I guess they have pretty strong sidewalls because I think my cornering is just as good as stock. Oh also the ride is great on the interstate even with these big 67lb Toyo AT's. Oh and yes braking will be affected if you go with 18's or 20's. Again the difference in weight is marginal. Its a matter of personal preference.:cool:

·
awpooponya
5,700 Posts
Im with Woody...no matter what "logic" or "justification" you use...its really about good v ugly here...go with the 18's:tu:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im with Woody...no matter what "logic" or "justification" you use...its really about good v ugly here...go with the 18's:tu:
i think 20's look good in some cases but not often, get the 18's. better ride, better price. :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just replaced all four tires with bridgestone Allenzas. Great traction for most conditions. Debated getting the A/T's but would have lost about 12,000 miles on life with added noise. Ended up going with 60 up from 55. The ride is much smoother with a larger diameter. The one drawback is speedo is off about 1.75 mph. A plus I added about an inch in clearance. A side note: The 60inch tires were less expensive that the factory 55.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I REALLY need to know

if I get a set of 20 Limited rims, and get a 33-35" tire will that hurt my mpg and brake pad wear

VS.

an aftermarket 18" rim with a 33" tire??

·
Registered
609 Posts
out of curiosity, what makes the 20's "ugly"?

Nothing makes a wheel ugly. It's a matter of taste. I personally think the 18" trd wheels are UGLY. Sold mine and bought the 20" limited wheels cause I like them better. Its all a matter of preference. If we all liked the same thing, we would all be driving a truck like mine:happy:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree about the 18" TRD wheels. That's what I've got and I'm not the biggest fan of the aesthetics. There are definitely much worse looking factory wheels out there, however!

Anyone want to trade for the 20's? If you're near AZ, it could be a one day deal!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts