Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and I don't think this is a repeat topic....sorry if it is..

If I was looking for the smoothest ride (in general) out of a '07 2wd Limited (no TRD Off Road), would I choose the standard 18" alloy wheels or opt for the 20" alloy wheels.

Thanks, as always, for any feedback!

·
Registered
435 Posts
18s ride better than 20s. That much is certain, but I suppose it's up to debate just how much smoother the 18s are. Some claim the difference is small, but that can also depend on things like air pressure, suspension type (TRD or normal?) and the surface you are driving on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
18's will ride smoother than the 20's. Assuming same overall diameter for both wheels, the smaller the rim, the more rubber to absorb the blows.

Example, my summer 17's and winter 16's are both 30.5 diameter. The 16's ride a little smoother, but are less responsive due to shorter sidewall.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the information. I sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Has everything to do with tire size. Most of the time, not always, 18's will be smaller, ie-31" tire. Most 20's will be 32" or 33" tires. If you do the math, the sidewall is the same, giving the same ride. I've had both 18's and 20's on my truck. couldnt tell a difference in ride. The 20's have close to 33" tires, the 18's had 31" tires, both had about 6" of total sidewall.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I went from 16" to 18" and notice a bit of a diff. I didn't want 20" , didn't buy the truck to wreck it.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The tundra I bought has the 20" chrome factory wheels and the one I test drove (mine was in the showroom) had 18's and I could not tell one bit of difference. A little rougher than my Dad's 01 tundra but that probably has to due more with the fact that the payload and towing increased.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I went from 16" to 18" and notice a bit of a diff. I didn't want 20" , didn't buy the truck to wreck it.
I'm not even going to ask what that means. To each their own as the saying goes..

·
Registered
932 Posts
I ment wreck the ride.........
So, yours with 18"s looks better than mine with 20's? ;) What's the difference? 99% of anyone out there wouldn't even see the difference if you didn't point it out to them. I would prefer 18's myself, and tried them for a while, but had serious rims balance issues, and just put the 20's back on. I think it looks better with the 20's, but don't like the $$ for the tires:td:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Like others have said above, 18s will ride better then 20s.

Also, don't forget that as the rim size increases, your choice of tires decreases. Equally important, remember that the same tire in a larger rim size typically costs more, and many time it costs substantially more.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Actually, I've found there are more choices in 20 than in 18, and the prices are about the same, except for BFG KO's, they're ridiculous in 20, 325 each. I'll probably put 20" Pirelli Scorpion AT's on next time, $120 each. The Nitto Terra Grapplers in 18" I had on last year were $230ish each, and I didn't have a whole lot of other choices.

·
Registered
932 Posts
In an A/T tire I should add...:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Whats the largest tires people have gone with on a stock set up without rubbing? Doesnt matter which gen. but mention if it's a TRD.
Search the forum...this has only been brought about 50 times since the truck has come out. 285/75-20 and 285/65-18 I believe are largest anyone has put on without rubbing.

·
Banned
159 Posts
33" tires would be the largest without some type of lift. Personally I like less wheel and more tire, so I would go 17" wheels w/33's tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does going bigger than stock diameter on the tires screw up the computer in the truck or anything else?Will the engine strain with the bigger tire and heavier rim?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Jasbus, chill dude! Jesus, side by side pictures and stating I think mine looks better:cool: , reread my post. I didn't want the 20's because I didn't want the truck to ride like a brick!!! Not saying yours does, but I wasn't going to shell out the $$ to find out.

There, is that better:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts