Toyota Tundra Forums banner

18" Wheels vs. 20" Wheels

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Dutch_holland 
#1 ·
I searched the forum and I don't think this is a repeat topic....sorry if it is..

If I was looking for the smoothest ride (in general) out of a '07 2wd Limited (no TRD Off Road), would I choose the standard 18" alloy wheels or opt for the 20" alloy wheels.

Thanks, as always, for any feedback!

#3 ·
18's will ride smoother than the 20's. Assuming same overall diameter for both wheels, the smaller the rim, the more rubber to absorb the blows.

Example, my summer 17's and winter 16's are both 30.5 diameter. The 16's ride a little smoother, but are less responsive due to shorter sidewall.

#5 ·
Has everything to do with tire size. Most of the time, not always, 18's will be smaller, ie-31" tire. Most 20's will be 32" or 33" tires. If you do the math, the sidewall is the same, giving the same ride. I've had both 18's and 20's on my truck. couldnt tell a difference in ride. The 20's have close to 33" tires, the 18's had 31" tires, both had about 6" of total sidewall.

#7 ·
The tundra I bought has the 20" chrome factory wheels and the one I test drove (mine was in the showroom) had 18's and I could not tell one bit of difference. A little rougher than my Dad's 01 tundra but that probably has to due more with the fact that the payload and towing increased.

#10 ·
I ment wreck the ride.........
So, yours with 18"s looks better than mine with 20's? ;) What's the difference? 99% of anyone out there wouldn't even see the difference if you didn't point it out to them. I would prefer 18's myself, and tried them for a while, but had serious rims balance issues, and just put the 20's back on. I think it looks better with the 20's, but don't like the $$ for the tires:td:

#12 ·
Like others have said above, 18s will ride better then 20s.

Also, don't forget that as the rim size increases, your choice of tires decreases. Equally important, remember that the same tire in a larger rim size typically costs more, and many time it costs substantially more.

#13 ·
Actually, I've found there are more choices in 20 than in 18, and the prices are about the same, except for BFG KO's, they're ridiculous in 20, 325 each. I'll probably put 20" Pirelli Scorpion AT's on next time, $120 each. The Nitto Terra Grapplers in 18" I had on last year were $230ish each, and I didn't have a whole lot of other choices.

#20 ·
Jasbus, chill dude! Jesus, side by side pictures and stating I think mine looks better:cool: , reread my post. I didn't want the 20's because I didn't want the truck to ride like a brick!!! Not saying yours does, but I wasn't going to shell out the $$ to find out.

There, is that better:rolleyes:

#21 ·
20's are diffinitely harsher on irregular, bumpy roads. The trade off is they handle better. On smooth rodes they excellent. I initially wanted the aluminum Enkies, but glad I got the chrome 20's for me I think they look great on this truck, plus they came with 275/55 which are wider than most standard tires available, and hey the 5.7 needs all the width you can put on the ground.:D

#22 ·
Well your roads don't heavy and crack in the winter like ours. right now this time of year the roads are bad, and because of this 20's are no advantage in the handeling department. They just bounce clean off the asphalt. Hard to corner when your shufling towards the ditch.

#23 ·
Jasbus, chill dude! Jesus, side by side pictures and stating I think mine looks better:cool: , reread my post. I didn't want the 20's because I didn't want the truck to ride like a brick!!! Not saying yours does, but I wasn't going to shell out the $$ to find out.

There, is that better:rolleyes:
Dude, I was just stating that side by side, you can't tell much of a difference in looks. Not yours looks better than mine, visa versa, I think your truck looks great....
Having said that, and having both 18 and 20" rims on this truck, there was no ride difference, in case you wanted to know. LIke I said before, I would personally rather have 18's myself, and did try it, but balancing issues made me just put the 20's back on.
Are we civil again?:D
Oh, and I'm not Jesus, just try to be like Him when possible, thanks for recognizing that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.