Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning!
My 2009 Tundie, Big Red, decided to turn on it’s maintenance required light on today at roughly 181,000 miles.

At 178,893 miles, I had all the following done: brake fluid flush, fuel injection and induction system flush, transmission fluid flush w/ synthetic, differential service, replaced spark plugs, replaced rear shocks, front wheel alignment, cooling system flush, power steering flush. The shop was pretty pleased with how great of shape it was for it’s age. I’m guessing most of this is what the maintenance light is for.

There’s no info on the Tundra website for maintenance at this ‘young age’. 😊 What should I be expecting to be checked or replaced at this point in Big Red’s life?

Thanks in advance!
Becca

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 1st gen, 2002 and am not familiar with the newer ones. Someone on here has the answer for you I am sure. Have a Blessed day...Chap

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my 08, the light comes on every 5K for oil change interval. When you reset it, it just counts out another 5K. Nothing too smart about it, and I didn't see that on your list.

Maybe you did that a couple thousand miles before, and it just now hit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning!
My 2009 Tundie, Big Red, decided to turn on it’s maintenance required light on today at roughly 181,000 miles.

At 178,893 miles, I had all the following done: brake fluid flush, fuel injection and induction system flush, transmission fluid flush w/ synthetic, differential service, replaced spark plugs, replaced rear shocks, front wheel alignment, cooling system flush, power steering flush. The shop was pretty pleased with how great of shape it was for it’s age. I’m guessing most of this is what the maintenance light is for.

There’s no info on the Tundra website for maintenance at this ‘young age’. 😊 What should I be expecting to be checked or replaced at this point in Big Red’s life?

Thanks in advance!
Becca

My 1st gen sequoia does not have that light... but I've read that it's there to recommend an oil change every 5,000 miles. It sounds like you might be well past that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As already stated, the "Maintenance required" light comes on after 5000 miles since last reset. Nothing magic about it. Regarding what maintenance might be due, Just check the maintenance schedule. The sequence will start repeating after 90K 100K or maybe 120K. Whatever the number, once it starts repeating, just follow that repeating schedule. Well, that is if you know all of the previous maintenance was done. If you don't know if a particular maintenance item was performed during a previous scheduled maintenance event, do that maintenance if it is important to the vehicle's longevity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my 08, the light comes on every 5K for oil change interval. When you reset it, it just counts out another 5K. Nothing too smart about it, and I didn't see that on your list.

Maybe you did that a couple thousand miles before, and it just now hit?

Had an oil change just a couple weeks ago. But thank you… do you think all women don’t know about how often they need an oil change? By the way, I change mine every 3k because he’s older and higher mileage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s great to know that most guys on this page think women don’t know about oil changes and the sticker the tech places in the upper left corner of their windshield.
I was raised on a ‘71 Chevelle SS and a ‘87 Monte Carlo SS, of which I helped work on both. Don’t speak down to me, please. Do you think I’d be here about an oil change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tundie Chick, I don’t think anyone was speaking down to you. The maintenance light comes on every 5,000 miles to let you know an oil change is due. If the oil is changed prior to the maintenance light coming on and if the maintenance reset procedure wasn’t done the light will come back on once it clocks 5,000 miles from the last time it was reset, usually at the last oil change. I hope the following helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t wasting your time every 3k miles. My dealership service my 08’ Tundra every 5k miles and all checks are done by the dealership I bought the truck from. It doesn’t matter how high your mileage is. I tow my 34 foot TT and I travel from state to state with my truck and I have roughly 191k miles and still going strong. Stick with what the dealership service department advised you to do. H20_Man has a good list to follow. I’m sure the service department follows the same list. It’s pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good morning!

Thanks in advance!
Becca
If you have a 4.7L engine, you may want to check when you last changed the timing belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don’t wasting your time every 3k miles. My dealership service my 08’ Tundra every 5k miles and all checks are done by the dealership I bought the truck from. It doesn’t matter how high your mileage is. I tow my 34 foot TT and I travel from state to state with my truck and I have roughly 191k miles and still going strong. Stick with what the dealership service department advised you to do. H20_Man has a good list to follow. I’m sure the service department follows the same list. It’s pretty straight forward.
Thanks for your opinion. I choose what I do to and for my truck and this is what I prefer. I drive about 80-100 miles round trip a day plus will be driving across my state weekly for work very shortly.

And who uses a dealership service department for an oil change? That’s highway robbery right there. Y’all have a lot of preconceived notions of ‘the little ladies’ out there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
People are just trying to help with information you requested. My Tundra is not gender specific. But as you say you choose. Thanks for asking, it got some good info shared... Chap

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
People are just trying to help with information you requested. My Tundra is not gender specific. But as you say you choose. Thanks for asking, it got some good info shared... Chap
I do, and I have used my dealership for oil changes and other service on my trucks for over 20 years.
good for you, H20. This forum apparently treats women as if they don’t know about trucks and basic maintenance. Like it’s the 1950’s all over again. Very sad.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Where exactly did anyone on this thread treat you differently based on gender? I did see a few say its just the maintenance like that comes after so many miles and a lot of people dont know about that or how to reset it, men or women. If they did know how, there wouldnt be so many threads on here about how to reset it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where exactly did anyone on this thread treat you differently based on gender? I did see a few say its just the maintenance like that comes after so many miles and a lot of people dont know about that or how to reset it, men or women. If they did know how, there wouldnt be so many threads on here about how to reset it.

Several implied that I have no clue about basic maintenance (or Google) and that I probably just need an oil change. I’ve been driving since the 90’s… so I know a bit about oil changes.
I was merely asking about the 180,000 mile maintenance schedule after searching online for it for quite a while, as there is no 180,000 schedule.
But that’s alright… y’all can go and treat some other lady like this, just not me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry that you were disturbed because people wanted to share their knowledge and experience in regards to a question you asked. Advice or suggestions are not a questioning of the "askers" knowledge or capabilities. If that were the case no one would ever ask a question and manuals would be burned at the stake. It is sad that you decided to take suggestions as a assault. I am sure it was not intended that way... Chap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts