Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good morning!
My 2009 Tundie, Big Red, decided to turn on it’s maintenance required light on today at roughly 181,000 miles.

At 178,893 miles, I had all the following done: brake fluid flush, fuel injection and induction system flush, transmission fluid flush w/ synthetic, differential service, replaced spark plugs, replaced rear shocks, front wheel alignment, cooling system flush, power steering flush. The shop was pretty pleased with how great of shape it was for it’s age. I’m guessing most of this is what the maintenance light is for.

There’s no info on the Tundra website for maintenance at this ‘young age’. 😊 What should I be expecting to be checked or replaced at this point in Big Red’s life?

Thanks in advance!
Becca
Becca, I have a 2008 5.7. I get that message every 5k as a reminder that something needs to be done. Yours might be the same.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,406 Posts
good for you, H20. This forum apparently treats women as if they don’t know about trucks and basic maintenance. Like it’s the 1950’s all over again. Very sad.
I'm not seeing that, but you can choose to ignore comments like that because life is to short to go there.

Best of luck to you, and keep on truckin'

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Good morning!
Big Red, decided to turn on it’s maintenance required light on today at roughly 181,000 miles.

I’m guessing most of this is what the maintenance light is for.
Several implied that I have no clue about basic maintenance (or Google) and that I probably just need an oil change. I’ve been driving since the 90’s… so I know a bit about oil changes.
I was merely asking about the 180,000 mile maintenance schedule after searching online for it for quite a while, as there is no 180,000 schedule.
But that’s alright… y’all can go and treat some other lady like this, just not me.
Where are you reading all this negativity towards you and assuming its because you are a female?
You started this thread and mentioned the light twice. Several people stated that it just comes on every so many miles so isnt that just and answer to your own question?
The first time my 05 had the light come on I had no clue what it was for or how to reset it so I came on here and looked it up. So does that make me dumb is some way because I didnt know what it was?

I think you're reading something into this that isnt there but feel free to quote those implications and enlighten me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure why people trust just anyone (mostly teenagers) at lube shops to change their oil & more?
I actually know to many people that ended up with a stripped drain plug in their cars oil pans to even consider that. A few people I know had to pay over a grand to replace their oil pan after taking their cars to Walmarts or lube centers since its impossible to prove who actually did it. Some traded their car in over it..
I read online where a lady took her Honda to Walmart and the idiot forgot to put the oil back in it. She got a block away then actually returned in it after seeing her dash light on...lol
She had to file a lawsuit to get a new engine, Im certain Wally had at least a dozen lawyers fighting her on it and Idk the outcome or if there's even been one yet?? Honda said her engine was toast, imagine that?
Trust me, paying a dealer a few bucks more to change your oil right is a very small price to pay considering the consequences.

Personally I stop in my local parts store & buy a high grade oil filter (vs low grade shop filter) and get full syn oil vs who really knows what they put in one???.
Then I crawl under mine myself and change it. Been doing it on my Tundra almost 400k miles now.
Ive been doing it on all my cars for 45yrs. Well' except in 1999, I had two failed back surgeries (back to back) so I paid for oil changes a couple times that yr.
I dont trust tire shops at all either. Not since Pep-Boys over torqued all the wife's old 1995 Camry lug nuts installing tires yrs ago.
I went to put new brakes on it a week later and two lugs broke loosening them. I stopped and checked their torque rating & it was over 200ft lbs (specs 90ft). It was higher, thats just where my old SO torque wrench stopped was 200ft lb.
I drove it back to PB and they said "BS" thats impossible, we could never do that.
They busted 13 more lugs out of the 20 total removing the wheels. They learned a new guy they hired brought a big industrial impact gun in for the job, been using it on cars over 3 weeks.
Now Im sure the PB manager called all those owners up & told them they'll never get their wheels off & all their lugs/nuts need changed out. May lose a wheel or two or have some wheels cracked/bent. Yep yep I'm sure that PB manager did just that at PB expense & him losing his job for not watching over the shop better?..not!

Sears installed a set of tires and I almost lost my right front wheel out on the interstate 2 days later.
Some real winners work in car shops folks.

Lesson learned-
"Always" check my lug torque anytime a shop ever removes a wheel and "Everything" I can do myself just do it my damn self. Just say'n.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have been doing all my repairs & maintenance for 42 years on 7 vehicles.

Had my wheels/disc done the same to by an Alignment/Tire shop I didn't know upon my rebuilding Entire Front Steering Suspension and self alignment just to check specs.
How was I to know?
They were gypsy frauds with the best new Hunter rack.
Professional Frauds alright.
My Baby was driving like the Lexus Truck I bought in 2005, just a little beefier, perfectly.
Then these yahoos proceeded to bungle the entire simple job while keeping me there almost seven hours...in the sun. A racket.
Here's what followed.
Didn't take before or after align specs, as requested, did not TOUCH Alignment Cams(had paint marker cheats, unmoved), jacked it up on lbs, tightened lugs to over where I stopped at 160lbs and switched to big breaker bar(checked with my old school Craftsmen as well as newer digital), drove into/over their own high curb accelerating out for 'test drive', tried to steel my old lugs while skulking up my new ones, and doing the tire balances with those stick weights which mostly flew off driving 30 highway minutes to a friend's which had my front end losing control almost to point of slowing to 35 mph on I-75, showing me I had been entirely screwed over.

As I was watching slo mo me getting screwed.

NEVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had an oil change just a couple weeks ago. But thank you… do you think all women don’t know about how often they need an oil change? By the way, I change mine every 3k because he’s older and higher mileage.
What the hell? How did you get to this conclusion? You didn't mention your last oil change. You didn't mention that you don't follow the recommended oil change schedule, only that you didn't know what the light was for.

The light is for oil changes at the normal interval. Full stop.

Hit the reset on it every time it comes up, and ignore it if you want. It should line up with your oil change schedule every 3rd time it comes on.

It would be a good idea to do some Blackstone testing on your used oil to see if changing at 3K is really doing anything other than wasting 1.67x the oil and filters you need to purchase and dispose of before they're used up. Even changing 5K miles seems excessive after testing, but I do it because that is what the manual says. These aren't dinosaur devouring 60's SBC engines. Maybe you'll learn that you can give the environment a little break.

If it seems like I'm talking down to you now, it's because you're an ungrateful sexist who lashes out at individuals trying to answer your question asked with insufficient background information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure why people trust just anyone (mostly teenagers) at lube shops to change their oil & more?
I actually know to many people that ended up with a stripped drain plug in their cars oil pans to even consider that. A few people I know had to pay over a grand to replace their oil pan after taking their cars to Walmarts or lube centers since its impossible to prove who actually did it. Some traded their car in over it..
I read online where a lady took her Honda to Walmart and the idiot forgot to put the oil back in it. She got a block away then actually returned in it after seeing her dash light on...lol
She had to file a lawsuit to get a new engine, Im certain Wally had at least a dozen lawyers fighting her on it and Idk the outcome or if there's even been one yet?? Honda said her engine was toast, imagine that?
Trust me, paying a dealer a few bucks more to change your oil right is a very small price to pay considering the consequences.

Personally I stop in my local parts store & buy a high grade oil filter (vs low grade shop filter) and get full syn oil vs who really knows what they put in one???.
Then I crawl under mine myself and change it. Been doing it on my Tundra almost 400k miles now.
Ive been doing it on all my cars for 45yrs. Well' except in 1999, I had two failed back surgeries (back to back) so I paid for oil changes a couple times that yr.
I dont trust tire shops at all either. Not since Pep-Boys over torqued all the wife's old 1995 Camry lug nuts installing tires yrs ago.
I went to put new brakes on it a week later and two lugs broke loosening them. I stopped and checked their torque rating & it was over 200ft lbs (specs 90ft). It was higher, thats just where my old SO torque wrench stopped was 200ft lb.
I drove it back to PB and they said "BS" thats impossible, we could never do that.
They busted 13 more lugs out of the 20 total removing the wheels. They learned a new guy they hired brought a big industrial impact gun in for the job, been using it on cars over 3 weeks.
Now Im sure the PB manager called all those owners up & told them they'll never get their wheels off & all their lugs/nuts need changed out. May lose a wheel or two or have some wheels cracked/bent. Yep yep I'm sure that PB manager did just that at PB expense & him losing his job for not watching over the shop better?..not!

Sears installed a set of tires and I almost lost my right front wheel out on the interstate 2 days later.
Some real winners work in car shops folks.

Lesson learned-
"Always" check my lug torque anytime a shop ever removes a wheel and "Everything" I can do myself just do it my damn self. Just say'n.....
My dealer
Good morning!
My 2009 Tundie, Big Red, decided to turn on it’s maintenance required light on today at roughly 181,000 miles.

At 178,893 miles, I had all the following done: brake fluid flush, fuel injection and induction system flush, transmission fluid flush w/ synthetic, differential service, replaced spark plugs, replaced rear shocks, front wheel alignment, cooling system flush, power steering flush. The shop was pretty pleased with how great of shape it was for it’s age. I’m guessing most of this is what the maintenance light is for.

There’s no info on the Tundra website for maintenance at this ‘young age’. 😊 What should I be expecting to be checked or replaced at this point in Big Red’s life?

Thanks in advance!
Becca
My dealer, who I bought my 2010 new from, did all my oil changes from new. When the oil drain got stripped at about 150k miles, they offered to fix for a fee. I demanded they do it for free since they did all the oil changes. They did it for free and provided me a rental while waiting for the part to be sent in. The part of the pan with the drain is actually quite small and fairly inexpensive from aftermarket suppliers. It’s not a big job.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts