Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Tundra Limited, V-8, w/TRD and 4WD. I now have about 64,000 miles on the truck. Recently I've noticed a kind of high-pitched, tinny-sounding rattle as I'm accelerating. The noise seems to start just below 1800-rpm in each gear. As the transmission shifts up and the RPMS drop below 1800, the tinny-rattle sound returns as the engine RPMS pass through 1800 RPM. It's very annoying (although it's not very loud...just noticeable). I hear it as the AT shifts upward in each gear, but it's not really noticeable in fourth (which I guess is OD). If I put the transmission in neutral and apply enough throttle to get up to 1800 RPM, I don't hear it, which makes me feel it's transmission related.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of thing?

I apologize in advance if someone has addressed this before, but "tinny-sounding rattle" didn't get me much in the search function.

TIA - JG:ts:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dont condem the trans yet. I have seen many rattles that will happen at a set rpm, but only if the vehicle is under a load. In nuetral it will not happen, but once the trans is in gear and the torque is applied it will cause vibrations through the entire vehicle. It could be something as simple as a mounting clip loose screw causing your noise. Might want to get a friend in there and have them track down what area exactly the nosie is coming from before you start swapping in parts. I once spent 6 hours chasing a intermittent rattle on a G-wagon at work. I tore everything aprt trying to find it. I had the shopforeman driving while I literally was hanging out the back listening for the noise. After several hours of loosening and retorqueing all the suspension and body components I could find, I was able to track it down to the POS brushguard around the rear tail light. Only under load, the body would shift just enough to touch the bracket and cause a slight ratlle. But you could only here the noise while inside the truck and on the gas uphill. That was a waste of a day. Still pissed thinking about that.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Could be somethings come loose in or around the exhaust system. Could be external (heat shields around headers or piping) or internal (baffling/core tubing in cats, resonator or mufflers) .

Larry

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be somethings come loose in or around the exhaust system. Could be external (heat shields around headers or piping) or internal (baffling/core tubing in cats, resonator or mufflers) .

Larry
Thanks to 04DSGTUNDRA, ejsharp, drewbush, and LGL002 for your replies. I'm thinking a ride in the back bed with the missus driving might give me a chance to hear better where this darn noise originates. It's tinny-souding enough to make me think it's some piece of thin sheet metal which supports an exhaust bracket, shroud or something of that nature. I suppose I could take it to the dealer, but what fun would that be?;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ever have any luck figuring this out? I have that same RPM related sound - also only when driving. I had a local shop listen to it and he was pretty convinced it was some internal exhaust component that had come loose.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I second Steak and eggs. The gasket for that muffler seal is made from a roll of band steel... something like a clock spring fully unwound.

If the clamp is broken the loose vibrating end of the steel band could give you the sound you speak of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2002 Tundra Limited, V-8, w/TRD and 4WD. I now have about 64,000 miles on the truck. Recently I've noticed a kind of high-pitched, tinny-sounding rattle as I'm accelerating. The noise seems to start just below 1800-rpm in each gear. As the transmission shifts up and the RPMS drop below 1800, the tinny-rattle sound returns as the engine RPMS pass through 1800 RPM. It's very annoying (although it's not very loud...just noticeable). I hear it as the AT shifts upward in each gear, but it's not really noticeable in fourth (which I guess is OD). If I put the transmission in neutral and apply enough throttle to get up to 1800 RPM, I don't hear it, which makes me feel it's transmission related.

I apologize in advance if someone has addressed this before, but "tinny-sounding rattle" didn't get me much in the search function.

Hard to know without being there and listening to where it is comming from, but I gave a 2000 honda civic to my nephew (16 drivers license safe car...you know how that goes) and it had a metal rattle almost a buzzing sound at around 1500 - 1800 Rpms which turned out to be the exhaust heat shield getting loose.

I would check your exhaust out and see if the mountings are still tight.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sad to say, it could be anything. Had a truck many years ago that would buzz on a cold start when the choke was closed. I spent hours trying to find it. It ended-up being a loose license plate screw on the front bumper. Good luck.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Mine also does the same thing but i have not spent the time finding it. My noise come from the drivers side front around the brake pedal so i think it's a heat shield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts