Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just found this site and hope you guys can help me out here. My '86 Toyota PU has a 22RTE engine and I just had the head gasket and timing chain replaced at 230,000 miles. While I was at it, I replaced the cat converter and muffler and most of the pipe. Within 100 miles of this service, the turbo has stopped giving me boost. We tested the impeller and it builds to the correct pressure and seems to work fine. When I drive, though, I can't hear the usual whine and there is no burst of acceleration to press me into the back of my seat. But the boost light comes on and everything "acts" normal. Is there some sensor or diverter or switch that I am unaware of? I am hoping there is a guru among you that will educate me in this fine work of art. Thanks.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
look for a boost leak or wastegate problem (not sure if these use gates or not)
Yes, it has a waste gate.

Why did you do the headgasket? Leaking coolant ? Overheated?
Was the head surfaced? rebuilt?
was it ok at first and got worse in 100 miles? or

was it not so good after all the work was performed ?

I have seen non Toyota timing chains cause retarded timing even tho all the marks were correct. They have the dots on the gears in the wrong spot.
Is the distruibutor in correctly?
Timing set properly with TE1 and E1 jumped
TPS functioning properly, if the idle contacs are stuck, it will think your idleing even tho your accelerating and not advance timing and may even cut fuel.

Over size exhaust will reduce back pressure and the turbo will have nothing to push against.(if ist to big)more than 1/8" over stock is too big.
High flow cats may cause this too, or plugged cats (even tho they are new) something might have happened to them, if the timing was off or something else is wrong.
Sorry so many questions

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turbo's need next to nothing for an exhaust. The bigger the better for turbo's. Ideally you'd want the biggest and least restrictive exhaust (or even no exhaust) on a turbo engine. Without any kind of restriction in the exhaust your turbo would definately spool much faster, and make it overall more efficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts