Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im looking fo some help / advice i have a 1989 4 runner with 122k ,,,

few issues im looking for advice on

1. i hear coolent flow behind dash when i rev the engine is this normal?
2. temp gauge at a idel in park it will go to half way (normal) no higher,but when i start driving my temp gauge falls to cold,
3.overdrive works great when temp gauge is n the middle,as soon as i start drivig the gauge falls my overdrive cuts out

it always has great heat,i dont loose any anti freeze, i put a new t stat in with no help

if anyone out there has any input on some causes and or fixes i would love the help, thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
shoot mustang67408 a PM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. Yes its fine.
2. Some do that its ok.
3. I dont know, always had a 5 spd.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
1. Yes its fine.
2. Some do that its ok.
3. I dont know, always had a 5 spd.
I am sorry but you are incorrect on 2 points.

This vehicle had a plugged water tube under the intake manifold. He replaced this water tube and now the truck is fine and all 3 points have been repaired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mustang,

I could only be wrong on two as the third was simply stating a fact.

Anyway both of my 3.0's have the waterflow sound behind the dash and other then hearing this occasionally I didnt know there was a problem. Could you please explain what I need to fix?

And for the third item my 4runner always does this my truck dose not but either way I dont have an issue, But if there is something I need to fix please explain this also.

We are all just trying to help.

thanks

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
mustang,

I could only be wrong on two as the third was simply stating a fact.

Anyway both of my 3.0's have the waterflow sound behind the dash and other then hearing this occasionally I didnt know there was a problem. Could you please explain what I need to fix?

And for the third item my 4runner always does this my truck dose not but either way I dont have an issue, But if there is something I need to fix please explain this also.

We are all just trying to help.

thanks
You're correct on the 3rd point, sorry my mistake.

There is air trapped in the cooling system. This can happen with a bad radiator cap or as what was wrong with the above truck mentioned in this forum. The water tube under the intake manifold is corroded and not allowing water to flow properly to the sensors at the back of the intake manifold. If you have the temp gauge problem this is a starting place to check. Remove the 90 degree hose at the back of the intake and see if there is water in the pipe, be careful, things back there get hot and become brittle and break easily. If there is water to both sides of the hose and pipe, then you may have another issue. Make sure you have a good radiator cap also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts