Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a description on how to remove the cluster from this vehicle?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The beauty of Toyota, and that includes Lexus, is they have standardized everything they do to be the same way. The Lexus might be more high end so maybe more gadgets or nicer trim pieces but thats probably about it. Do a youtube search of any Toyota cluster removal and I would bet yours would be almost identical.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cheapskate, yeah I saw that video earlier but for some reason this one doesn't have the two hidden screws like seen there. Although I was able to see how it came apart from an ebay ad photo of one that fits a 95. It found it comes apart by taking two screwdrivers and push in through a slot up at the top and wala it came loose! Now comes the fun part, trying see if I can fix. Thanks for your help my friend!
Conk

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Whats wrong with the cluster? There are companies that will re and re them and for not a huge amount of money. Years back my folks moved from Canada to the States and i had to remove their cluster and have it converted. Took maybe half an hour to pull going really slow but the turn around time to convert the speedo was like a day.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speed indicator is intermittent. I'm trying to sell this car for a friend and so the other day was showing it to someone and the speed indicator was not working. So I was going to check the vss via OBD II and wouldn't you know it... it starting working again. I had the cluster almost all the way out yesterday, but decided to hold off until I can get a read out on the vss when it quits to see if the signal is working or not. Part for that on rock A. is $39. so I was only hoping. I was told if the odometer works when the speed indicator does not, then the vss is probably good and to look at the cluster for problem. I've never messed with a cluster before so I was going to look for the obvious i.e. sticking needle (may need lube) or loose ground connections on circuit. I'm not proficient at soldering on boards like this so I'd probably make it worse! How much you think someone would charge for a fix and do you have any suggestions where to send it?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
When my folks needed theirs converted I was the one who pulled it out, it was simple enough, but sent it out for the change over. It was probably 18 years ago i did and cant remember the price but i dont think it was a lot. Even today I have a serious doubt it could be any more than a few hundred bucks for even the worst problem. Just google something like speedo repair if you cant fix it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts