Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 96 Avalon with origional delco AM/FM cassette radio. I bought a new radio and ran into a brick wall when trying to get info on the pinouts for the speakers. None of the colors or connector diagrams fit what I have.

There are 2 antenna wires, one normal size and one thin size.

The radio plug had 15 pins and is one solid unit (white). The colors do not match the manual at all. I found the Battery, Switched 12v and panel lights but cannot figure out the speakers for the life of me.:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Thanks,

SteveEJ/Tennessee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. That helps.. Now since i am using a system with a built in Amp I need to find out where it is located so I can plug the harness into it.. Looks like it may be behind the glove box.. Am I right? SteveEJ/TN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the real question is where is R2 and R3 located so I can unplug them from the amp and plug in my wiring harness. I have a Automatic on the center console. The pages were not included with the PDF's you posted. BTW.. Where do you get all of the tech info?:rolleyes:

Thanks again..

SteveEJ/Tennessee
:ts:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to bypass the amp and go straight to the speaker wires at the kick panels. Thanks anyway..

SteveEJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a '96 Avalon that I decided to install a new radio last year. I bought the stereo from Crutchfield (with the best customer service in the world). I took the old one out and ran into the same wiring issue you had. I then called Crutchfield back and as soon as I mentioned Avalon, the guy stopped me in my tracks. He sent me a different diagram than the original. It turns out that the amp is behind the glovebox. I had the entire right side of the car torn out. The only problem is, the air bag is right there as well. I just removed the amp all together and wired in my new stereo. It sounds MUCH better then the original.

Unfortunaly, I have had a computer crash since then, so I don't have the documentation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also trying to install a new stereo in my 96 Avalon to replace original radio and cd player. The wiring diagrams from several sources also do not match my wires. I have determined all but the correct pairing and polarity for the 8 speaker wires, which are: red with 1 hash mark, red with 2 hash marks, blue, green, brown, black, white, and yellow. The attempts at testing ohms and running low current to the wires give confusing results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, my name is Daimion, and I just put a system in my 97 Avalon, ran into a brick wall when it came to the speakers. But since I looked at the diagram, I noticed those colors in the side panels by the floor near the pedal in the drivers side and under the feet duct on the passenger side, I ran the speakers from there, and dropped a sub in the trunk, sounds amazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 96 Avalon and considering replacing the head unit and speakers. I'm having difficulty removing the speaker covers to see what size the speakers actually are. What size are the front and backs? I'm guessing the sub in the rear is 8'. Also, do you have to order a custom piece to get a head unit in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, so it sounds like you guys have all had the same headaches I have....I just ran my aftermarket and everything works great ecxept....I have no sound at all...I mean I even ran my ipod interface and the head unit thinks it's working but I am getting no sound at all....all I can assume is that I need to disconnect the factory amp in my 96 xls before the new head unit will work...any experiences with this one???? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright. So earlier, I came on this forum to look why my setup wasn't working. I have 1998 Toyota Avalon with the 7 speakers. I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP238 with the standard wiring harness. When I went to try to install, I found that that I had the premium audio system. So I went back to the store, returned the harness and got the one for the premium audio. The premium audio harness contains 4 RCA jacks instead of a bunch of wire like a regular harness. Save yourself the hassle of stripping the RCA's and get a stereo with pre-amp outputs (mine did).

I hooked it all up, powered up but sound no like everyone says. Well, I didn't know I actually had an amp, and from that I didn't know that I had to send a signal to the amp to turn on. All I had to do was hook up the antenna turn on signal from my Kenwood to the blue/white amp signal from my wiring harness. Boom! Everything worked! :)

Here is a link to thee wiring harness that I bought.
Toyota/Lexus Wiring Harness For select 1992-99 models with factory amplifier at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im trying to install an AUX input into my factory AD1700 with cd unit.
I've seen many attempts yet no ones accomplished it. Im looking for a quick way since i dont want to upgrade my head unit or buy an interface. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought 1996 toyota avalon, i am trying to replace the radio with a double din cd player, do anyone have a complete step on how to install it and connect the wires? I tired but don't even know if i should remove the dash board or just force the factory radio out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there,

I am sort of in the same situation as you all were...(about 9 years ago)..
I am trying to replace my toyota's avalon 1996 stock audio player with this one I bought from amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3QC096/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I ran into plugging issues with them.
1. The default one has more wires than necessary and some are completely different colors.
2. the Antenna does not fit in the new audio player.

I am completely new to this and just want basic functionality.
Could you guys help me with what to leave out and what to connect to..?

thanks!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts