Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Toyota adventurists, I am a new member and I have been looking for a procedure to replace the elusive EGR VSV switch on my 1997 RAV4 and came up with a post from another forum. I haven't tried it yet but I am on my way right now. I will return and let you know how it went.

Here's how to get to the VSV switch.
It's on the back of the engine, roughly in the middle. There is a plastic tube with 2 vacuum lines that run down to it. There is also one electrical plug on it.
1) Remove right wheel.
2) Unbolt the right tie-rod from hub, leaving the other end connected, and use some string or wire to tie up out the way. Turn the hub to the right to give a little more access.
3) Remove the brace that runs from the throttle body to the bottom of the engine (2- 14mm bolts). The upper bolt can be had from the top of the motor reaching down using a box wrench. The bottom bolt using a socket.
4) You should now have full access to the switch. I found it best to sit inside the wheel well and using your left arm, blindly reach in and feel for the switch and single bolt that holds it in place. Try a 1/4 drive with a 12 mm 6 point socket.
It's realy hairy in there so make sure your down on the bolt before you attempt to turn it, you'll easly round it off. I chewed mine up pretty good b4 it broke loose and had to put a new one in.

Hope this helps guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just removed the switch successfully using the tecnique posted prior to this one. However, I didn't remove brace from the throttle body to the bottom of the engine and I didn't use a box wrench. Once the right front wheel (passenger side) was removed and tie rod wired out of the way, I could see the switch with a flashlight. I was able to remove the 12mm bolt with a 3/8 rathet, a long 3/8 extension (24"), a universal joint, and a 12mm socket. My local dealer wants $101.00 for this? What a rip. I'm gonna test this guy and head for the wrecking yard if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts