Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7 four cylinder engine. It currently has 90 M miles and I would like to changer the fuel filter (I think the original is still on the car) Has any one out there had experience in changing this filter? It's tucked up underneath the intake manifold and looks almost inaccessable. I would appreciate any tips or help on how to perform the fuel filter replacement.:ts:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fuel filters on Toyotas are designed to never need servicing. You can replace them, but it is not necessary. I know the book says to do it, but we don't recommend it. It's an unnecessary expense.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I've never had a car that I couldn't change the fuel filter on.
I know Toyota does not recommend changing the fuel filter but on a ten year old truck with the quality of fuel you get these days,:)
I thought it would be just good insurance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What are you people saying?

You must replace the fuel filter at least every 30K miles or 2 years, maybe less depending on the quality of the fuel you buy. I changed mine at 20k and was full of a black sludge just to look at it gives me the creeps, now I'm changing it every 15k or 2 years. No filter is going to last the life of the truck, My guess is toyota missed it and that's why they don't mention it. My advice is that you change it right away, it's not expensive anyway...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree..That the filter needs to be changed regardless of what Toyota recommends.
However the filter is tucked so tightly under the intake manifold on the 4 cyl. engine thats it looks next to impossible to even get a wrench on the inlet and outlet fittings.
If someone out there has successfully changed the fuel filter on their 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma I would certainly appreciate any tips or techniques you can suggest as to how to go about doing the job.
Take off the drivers side wheel and reach through the fender apron???
Thanks' in advance for your help.:ts:

·
Registered
1 Posts
After over 200,000 miles on the original filter I finally just paid a mechanic to do it. My current thought on this problem is to find a spot on the stock fuel line and splice in a stainless steel fuel line and utilize "high performance" fuel filter. Not for the performance issue but just for the ability to relocate the filter to a better, more accessable place.
I am still doind research on this mod though, to determine if there are any drawbacks to this.
I quess another option would be to get a filter set up from the later model tacomas that have the fuel filter down by the frame rail but this would again involve splice the stock fuel line.

kary

·
Registered
199 Posts
The fuel filters on Toyotas are designed to never need servicing. You can replace them, but it is not necessary. I know the book says to do it, but we don't recommend it. It's an unnecessary expense.

Hope this helps!
Are you sure about that. I was told to change when you have problems but wait till then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts