My wife's 98 Camrys window and door locks have not been working for the past 5 years. I've checked fuses and tried to direct hot wire each door with no luck. We even took it to the dealership which wanted to charge us $80/hr to find the problem and then however long it took to fix the problem, my wife elected not to go this route. Over the past 5 years, I have replaced the master door switch, fuses and relays. I have researched and researched with no luck. Finally, while out in the woods hunting last week I decided to search again and I found a post (I will have to insert the link here when I find it again) I don't know how I ever missed this post, but a guy said that the older Camrys were bad about having broken wires in the boot between the chassis and the drivers side door. I removed the drivers side kick and door panel and located the two plugs that fed the wire harness and unhooked them. I proceeded to fish them and the rubber boot back through the door itself (see picture attachment) Once I had the complete harness hanging out of the speaker hole in the door, I noticed ~ 6-8 completely broken wires and 4 that had the insulation cracked. I ran to the parts store for a roll of 16 ga wire and solder. I systematically cut the broken wires and inserted a jumper with solder and shrink wrap tubing. Once all complete (~3.5 hrs) I hooked the harness adapters back into the slots under the kick panel since the harness was long enough I didn't bother threading it back through the door quite yet, rather directly into the kick panel area through the open door. I ran inside and had my wife grab her keys and go out to the garage and give it a whirl while I stayed inside and grabbed a quick bite to eat. I patiently waited for her return and once she did, I knew immediately that it was a success. I went out to see myself and after 5 long years of no drive through service for her...lol, they were finally working again. I spent the next 1.5 hrs passing the wire harness back through the door jamb and then the boot and through the chassis. I ended up spitting the boot and wrapping it around like wire loom and then wrapped it with black tape. I buttoned everything back up and everything still functioned perfectly. She is very excited as am I. I want to thank the person who posted this and made my wife and I happy.
75.7 KB Views: 62