Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 with 98K miles. I am the original owner and the car has been great and trouble free.

About two weeks ago I installed new NGK Laser Platinum, # 3452, Spark Plugs. I did not remove any parts to get to the spark plugs closest to the firewall.

At the same time I switched to Costco Regular Unleaded from Chevron Supreme Gasoline.

Now I have a Fuel Consumption Problem, 19 to 20 MPG from the high 20s. The engine runs fine and the check engine light is not on.

I have read the forms and noted various fixes such as O2 Sensors, EGR, PCV, VSV ...

If there is a need to replace any of these sensors and valves, then should the check engine light come on first?

Any other recomendations?

Thanks for the help.

***** I just got a Pocket Scanner and it came back with an error code "P1300". *****

Could I have done something wrong with the spark plug installation???

Thx. again,

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Try switching back to the Chevron Supreme for a while and see if that does it before potentially wasting your money on sensors/valves that may not need to be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and will do on the fuel...

***** I just got a Pocket Scanner and it came back with an error code "P1300". *****

Thx. again,

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks and will do on the fuel...

Thx. again,
Yes.

P1300 = Igniter Circuit Malfunction No. 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back and disconnected the battery, pulled every spark plug checked the tips for any unusual color, reinstalled, double checked all connections, and checked the working area for any unplugged or loose vac hoses and electrical plugs.

(The spark plugs all looked ok)

I cleared the code and it has not come back.

Filled the tank with Chev Sup....well see.

Thx for the help.:ts:

·
Registered
9 Posts
better MPG also try...

1. Throttle plate cleaner (2.99 can)

2. Seafoam (4.99 can) > 1/3 in Gas Tank, 1/3 Oil, 1/3 Brake Booster line

3. Change your oil to a Mobil 5W-20, or Castrol 5W-20 (don't worry flash point is safe)

4. Buy a Flex Extension and change out the 3 Rear Plugs.

5. Increase your Tire Pressure 3-4 lbs higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts