Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of searching regarding this topic over the past couple days in anticipation of installing my new aftermarket headunit and backup camera. As I'm sure you know, the reverse signal wire is used to alert your aftermarket headunit when the truck is shifted in revers so that the screen automatically displays the view from your back-up camera.

During my research the results I was finding were vague and inconsistent at best. The only thing anyone seemed absolutely sure of is that you can run wire all the way back to the tail lights and tap the positive wire there. Since I had already very neatly ran the camera video and power wires from back to front in a wire loom, I was not inclined to cut it all down to add the additional wire.

I finally found a post on another site that seemed reasonably specific and confident that the wire was under the driver's side kick panel and was the black wire with the red stripe. Since there are a few of those under there, I pulled out the multimeter and went to work.

The correct wire was black with a red stripe, but also has silver rings around it. See the photos below for reference. I hope this helps others who are completing the same project.

IMG_20130813_200204_839_edit.jpg IMG_20130813_200235_149_edit.jpg IMG_20130813_201258_292[1].jpg

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for posting. Ive been putting off that same project.

·
2,152 Posts
Just be careful, as electrical wiring can vary QUITE a bit between different years...'00-'02 seem to be very close, and '03-'04, and then '05-'06. Wiring can vary quite a bit depending on the motor/trans combo as well. This fits in with the major styling, motor, and tranny changes over the '00-'06 1st Gen years.

For example the '03 EWD shows the R/B for the reverse lights going thru a couple connectors behind the glove box, AND its different between the 2UZ/5VZ...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Better double check with a multimeter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my 01 Sequoia Limited.

Reverse lead is located under the driver's side kick panel. A red wire with black stripe with silver circles. See pic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my dads 2006 to tundra, which I've always loved. It's needed some attention and I'm finally getting caught up in everything that needed to be taken care of.

I just installed a camera today, and this was absolutely helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got my dads 2006 to tundra, which I've always loved. It's needed some attention and I'm finally getting caught up in everything that needed to be taken care of.

I just installed a camera today, and this was absolutely helpful.
So, in your 2006 Tundra, was it the same wire? Red with black stripe with silver rings around it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 04 DoubleCab, I found the reverse wire in the back of the instrument cluster. It was on the connector closest to the passenger side and was the wire 5 spots in from the left. A black/yellow wire. Wire to the left was park, wire to the right was neutral, then drive, then 2 then L. Guessing it was the wires that light up the gear indicator in the instrument cluster.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
cpuguy06
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing