Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

2006 Tundra Access Cab w/ 4.7L V8, automatic, 45K miles.

Just did a normal oil/filter change (valvoline 5w-30 full synth w/ fram extended guard) about 100 miles ago and now notice a tapping noise that appears to be coming from the engine. I don't know if the oil change has anything to do with it. Oil level is fine. Checked all the stuff that I could've knocked loose or disconnected when I did the oil change but couldn't find anything.

The noise only happens after the truck is warmed up and in forward or reverse. The noise varies with engine rpm. I had someone sit in the truck holding the brake while in gear so I could hear it outside. Driveability does not appear to be affected at all. Idle seems fine. From what I've read on the forum it doesn't appear to be exhaust since it only happens when it's warm. Put long screwdriver up to the valvecovers but didn't notice any loud spots. I've always ran 87 octane. Transmission and timing belt have not been touched yet.

Any ideas? Sound clip attached. Would appreciate any assistance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump...still have the tapping noise. It's not THAT loud. Can't hear it from inside the cab when the windows are closed. Difficult to hear w/ window open while truck is on the road at speed. Again, sound only appears when truck is warmed up and in gear. If I'm idling at a stoplight or pulling into my garage and the window is open I can hear the tapping. Noise varies with engine speed.

I should've posted this in 1st gen forum...anyone know how to move this thread? I didn't want to double post and I can't seem to delete this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Not sure about the tapping. I could hear a very light, almost delicate, tapping when sitting next to a wall which seems to be common with these engines. Since I installed my exhaust I cannot hear it. If what you have sounds like a diesel engine tapping then you need to track it down. Mine taps loudly in cold weather until it warms up because of a cracked header (great excuse for a set of DT's if they would respond to my emails or probably JBA's).

On the oil change get rid of the Fram and do not ever use Fram again. Your engine is a several thousand dollar investment and a few more bucks gets you the best. Fram filters are the worst oil filters money can buy.

Just realized you attached a sound clip and listened to it. How close to the truck did you hold the microphone? Sounds like you are in the engine bay with the engine.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Highwaylizard - Thanks for the response. I do have a pair of headers I've been meaning to install so I guess I'll start there. Weird because it only happens once the engine is warmed up and in gear. Thanks for the advice on the oil filter. I think I paid a little over $11 for that one...supposedly a longer life filter than their regular orange one. Guess I'll check out Wix next time, I know I've seen them somewhere...maybe at Checkers/O'Reilly.

I took the sound clip with my camera and yes it was near the engine with the hood open (had my trustworthy wife sit inside and hold the brake while it was in gear). I should probably post a clip of what it sounds like from outside huh? It's not too clackity clack like my neighbor's F350. Just figured since the noise only happens under such specific conditions it would be more obvious (but not to me). Guess I feel a little better now. BTW - timing belt was never changed yet.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Even with the hood up, if your truck is warmed up the tapping should not be that loud. That is pretty bad and I would have it checked out before it gets worse. Also, after listening to it a second time you seem to have a deeper knock going on, can you confirm that? You may be referring to that knock sound as tapping. Sounds deeper than just under the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill3508 - Yup. I was trying not to use the 'k' word but you're right. I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it to the dealership. Hoping the worst that could happen is that they tell me I need to change the timing belt (5 yrs old). I know, could be worse than that. At least they can check it safely. I have reservations about lying down under the truck when it's warmed up and in gear...even if the drive wheels are in the air. Just had our 1st baby so besides being extra cautious also don't have much time to do stuff right now. Guess I finally have a reason to visit the dealership.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? Let us know what they say also.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truck still has about 45k on it. I read on the forum that the timing belt interval is 90k or 5 yrs. Mine is the latter. Hope to have some time in the next week or so to leave it at the dealership. I'd like to have a tech listen to it as soon as I pull in rather than taking my word for it and letting it cool down. Hopefully it'll be something simple like a loose harness or heat shield. I wouldn't mind paying of that diagnosis...I should be so lucky. I checked all that stuff when the truck was off but never while it was running. Made another sound clip (attached) from the driver's seat, in gear, hood closed, window open, and mic near the side mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would think your timing belt is probably okay. Unfortunately that sound is probably something internal. Sounded on the video that knocking sped up with the rpm's. I'm not really familiar with the yota top ends so I can't really give a diagnosis. Some of the LS2 GTO's had problems with lifters going bad, but it was more of a tick/tap than yours. Yours still sounds deep to me. Let us know what the tech says.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. As I noted earlier, the noise definitely varies with rpm. I tried seafoam to see if it would free any sticky lifters but it didn't help. I did notice a very light film of oil (not dripping or anything) at the lower right of the timing belt cover. Again, I really appreciate your time and input. Will keep you posted. May not get to drop it off for a week or two.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE! bill3508 - good ear...you were right about the sound being internal.

Finally took the truck to the dealership to get checked out. Just got it back (fixed) recently. Per service rep (NICE guy), took awhile to get the parts here. My wife liked the loaner Camry better anyway. Truck runs as good as it did before except NO MORE TAPPING/TICKING NOISE! Tech isolated it to the no. 1 cyl. After a partial teardown w/ the engine out they confirmed a "worn wrist pin". Best part was that it was covered under the 5 yr powertrain warranty. Didn't even know I still had a warranty when I bought the truck used.

While the tech was in there he noticed the waterpump was leaking...COVERED! Since he was already in there replacing stuff I asked if they could do the timing belt at a discount. Just wish he could've installed my headers too. Looked so much easier with the engine on a stand! At least he agreed to crack the passenger side bolts for me (driver's side was already removed).

Hope I never have to replace that starter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts