Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1st Gen 5100s Question on 4th or 5th Notch, block in rear?

26K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  WaTrout88 
#1 ·
I've been a long time viewer of the forum but first time posting. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Bilstein 5100 upgrade (front and back) for my 2001 AC because it's about time and based on everything I've read I probably should have done this years ago. I've decided to keep the truck (only 130K miles since original in 01) and therefore it deserves an upgrade. In any event, I am debating on whether to go with the 4th or 5th notch on the front 5100s and if I would need a 1" block if I went with the 4th notch or the 5th notch to make it approximately even.

In other words, those of you that have this mod on your 1st gen truck, what do you recommend? Do you have any photos you can post? I've seen a lot of photos with the middle notch or the top notch but not any with the 4th notch.

Also, what is your experience thus far? Now that you've had this upgrade done for a while what are your thoughts on going with the full lift (4th/5th notch) in terms of ride quality and alignment issues, etc?

For reference, I have the TRD wheels with 285/70/16 tires all around. I don't have a current photo of the truck but it currently has a 1-2" rake (back higher than the front) and it appears that the passenger front side has less of a gap between the fender and the tire than the driver's side. About a 1" difference.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. When I get a chance I will post a "before" photo and then an "after" photo once I decide and get the installation completed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to add that it is a 2WD Access Cab SR5 V8.

#5 ·
I have a 2004 2WD access cab and went with the 4th notch and 1" blocks (check out the photo in my "Garage"). That put the front about 1/4" lower than the rear and it looks good. If you go with the 5th notch, you'll either want 1.5" (tapered) blocks or AALs, which will also give you about 1.5" from what I hear. Getting the front shocks installed at the 4th notch was a real PITA. I'm not even sure if I would be able to squeeze them in there with the 5th notch. Some have had clearance issues with the 5th notch on certain years/models. Another reason to go with the 4th notch, is that the rear 5100s are rated for 0 to 1" lifts, so if you went with the fifth notch, you would need to exceed that range because you would need to go with a 1.5" lift.

#6 ·
mossman77: Thanks for the advice. I've been leaning towards the 4th notch and 1" blocks so this helps a lot. Your truck looks good. Not too much of a lift but enough to notice a difference. How is the ride? Also, I noticed you also have a rear sway bar installed. How is that working out you for you? Do you recommend it? I don't do any real serious off-roading so I've also considered that upgrade as well. Thanks.

#7 ·
dmcarpio, I'm getting ready to add 5100's all around and an add-a-leaf in the back. I don't know what shipping costs will be, but those items at wheelersoffroad.com are the cheapest that I've found.

Check it out. The gentleman who works there (or owns wheeler's) posts here as well.

#8 ·
Ride is good. A little bouncy but I expected that. I'll be putting 5100s on the rear this weekend so that will supposedly dampen things a bit. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad at all. I don't have a rear sway bar. That is listed as a future mod

#9 ·
I have had both 1" blocks and the Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL set and I can tell you that the AAL is by far a better ride. Keep the overload leaf in and you'll see about 1.7-1.8" of rear lift over stock height.

The rear 5100s are more than capable of handling the lift provided by the 3-leaf AAL's.

I have my fronts set at the top (5th) notch. Pics in my garage.

#10 ·
Blocks supposedly give you a stock-like ride whereas the AALs will stiffen up the back end. I forget, does anyone make shackles for our 1st gens?

#12 ·
Antipas: Thanks for the heads up. I think you are right. Wheelersoffroad.com is the cheapest when you consider they don't charge taxes. The second best I found was AJUSA which had fronts and backs for about $350 with free shipping (plus tax).

#14 ·
I have had both 1" blocks and the Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL set and I can tell you that the AAL is by far a better ride. Keep the overload leaf in and you'll see about 1.7-1.8" of rear lift over stock height.

The rear 5100s are more than capable of handling the lift provided by the 3-leaf AAL's.

Agreed. I have 5100's on top notch and Wheelers AAL's in the rear and the stance and ride is perfect, much better than stock. The AAL's balanced out the suspension nicely and it tows and hauls much better. I would not use blocks.

#16 ·
Blocks supposedly give you a stock-like ride whereas the AALs will stiffen up the back end. I forget, does anyone make shackles for our 1st gens?
The AAL's will make your truck feel much more planted. They will not give it a harsh, stiff ride. Also if your lifting the front with 5100's you are putting more preload on the springs to achieve the lift, the AAL's balance that out. I drove mine with the 5100's installed with and without AAL's and the ride is better with.

#18 ·

Follow up question: Will the rear Bilstein shocks work with the Wheeler AAL?

#19 ·
They're spec'd for 0" to 1" lifts and AALs will give you 1.5" or so, but I think it would be ok.

#20 ·
They work just fine, myself and many others are running 5100's and Wheelers AAL's(Add a leafs).

#21 ·
This is all great. I'm basically going to go with the recommended setup as seen here as well in more detail: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/228795-1st-gen-lift-kit/ (for those of you that are interested). I already have the Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front and rear. Next I'm going to order the Wheeler's progressive AAL.

Question 1: I read somewhere that I should get the rear brake proportioning valve relocate kit ($15 at Wheelers). Do I need this if I just have a 2WD AC SR5?

Question 2: I've also read good things about the Helwig anti-sway bar kit ($270 at Amazon of all places: Amazon.com: Hellwig 7700 Rear Sway Bar: Automotive). I'm not planning on doing any hardcore off-roading and such. Any thoughts from those who have both the Bilstein/AAL and Helwig setup?

Below are some before photos:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Pickup truck

Land vehicle Pickup truck Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White

#22 ·
Yes, you need the brake valve bracket. Can't comment on the sway bar. I'm thinking of installing one myself but only if there is a significant difference

#23 ·
Yes, you need the brake valve bracket. Can't comment on the sway bar. I'm thinking of installing one myself but only if there is a significant difference
That's not necessarily true.

I have been able to manually guess-adjust the rear proportioning with the amount of threads left on the stock proportioning arm after a 1.8" increase in lift.

I've adjusted it over time (one 360 degree turn of the nut corresponds to an 11psi change in pressure...). I had to do a panic stop the other day, and the rears just barely locked up but control was perfect.

I think I will probably back it off 1 1/2 turn.

#24 ·
Ok sure, but it is much easier to just install the bracket and be done with it.

Those tires are huge. Go with 5th notch and AALs.

#25 ·
Thanks mossman77 and everyone else. This forum/thread has been very helpful. I just ordered the Wheeler AAL and the valve bracket. The Bilsteins are burning a hole in the box waiting to be installed once everything else arrives.

I will post picks and observations once I get everything installed.

#26 ·
I read 5,241 threads on the 5100 setup, but, may have missed the following, and did not want to start another thread.

What is the max lift height you can actually achieve at top notch? Is it 3", 2.5", or X? It appears top notch and AAL achieves a fairly
balanced level/lift when installed together, from what I have seen on the numerous posts.

Looking at suspension changes with new tires this summer, and starting with the 5100 as first option to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.