Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backed into a cement wall in an alley while coming out of a friends house. Driver side of the chrome bumper is slightly pushed in (not folded) and raised up. The bottom corner (where the bumper and bed meet) has paint broken and wants to flake off.

Planning on taking my bumper off and using a rubber mallet, wood block, and rubber mat to shape the chrome bumper back. Any suggestion for the paint damage and probably crease in the metal on the actual body panel??:confused:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Pics?

It may be easier to push out/re-shape the bumper on the vehicle if you have right tools using the frame for leverage. Also, the best you could do for the paint is buff it out as best as possible and make your own determination if you want it professionally fixed considering you've got a crease in the body panel.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Backed into a cement wall in an alley while coming out of a friends house. Driver side of the chrome bumper is slightly pushed in (not folded) and raised up. The bottom corner (where the bumper and bed meet) has paint broken and wants to flake off.

Planning on taking my bumper off and using a rubber mallet, wood block, and rubber mat to shape the chrome bumper back. Any suggestion for the paint damage and probably crease in the metal on the actual body panel??:confused:

goo luck shaping the chrome bumper. its made of a higher tensile strength steel and takes a lot of force to dent and shape. i couldnt even get a dent to pop out of my front bumper with a hammer by hitting at hard as i could with it off the truck.

as for the body damage, creases suck and are harder to fix but can be done professionally at a body shop sometimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get pictures this afternoon when the weather lets up (hopefully). I was planning on using the wooden block method and a rubber mallet. I've read on diff't threads/forums that its possible, but difficult still. As far as the paint goes, i'd rather not get it professionally done because money is super tight at the moment. To be honest i'm not sure what you mean by "buffing out" the chipped paint. Could you explain??

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'll get pictures this afternoon when the weather lets up (hopefully). I was planning on using the wooden block method and a rubber mallet. I've read on diff't threads/forums that its possible, but difficult still. As far as the paint goes, i'd rather not get it professionally done because money is super tight at the moment. To be honest i'm not sure what you mean by "buffing out" the chipped paint. Could you explain??
I know the tight money feeling.

As for what was meant by buffing out the paint, I think he meant to chip
And knock off all the loose paint and see how far it will extend from the point of damage

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Appi

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Is it just chipped or chipped and scratched? Generally if the bumper is pushed in, the edge of the chrome bumper will scratch the clearcoat in addition to chipping off some of the paint. The idea is the buff out the white scratches leaving you with either bare metal or a primed surface from where it was chipped.

One of the reasons I asked about posting some pics.

If you can't afford to get it professionally done, you may be able to just touch it up to prevent it from rusting over. It may not look that great, but better than leaving it bare. There are some kits out there that can assist in avoiding the bubbling effect of applying touch up paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the large pictures, but i uploaded directly to imgur so you could see it in quality. What do you think??

·
Registered
93 Posts
OUCH, That stinks man, sorry to see it, I wrecked my truck 3 days after I bought it................well, a fedex truck wrecked it, he pulled up behind me while I was backing up and didn't see him and hit him, damage was about the same as yours, ended up costing me$1000.00 out of pocket and insurance paid 2500.00, hope you can do it yourself, wont be easy, but good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woah!! I didn't think it was much of any damage at all. Just a dent in the bumper and a little crease in paint. I'm definitely going to live with it. Nothing is wrong with the alignmnent and it drives just like the day i got it. Just cosmetic!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Woah!! I didn't think it was much of any damage at all. Just a dent in the bumper and a little crease in paint. I'm definitely going to live with it. Nothing is wrong with the alignmnent and it drives just like the day i got it. Just cosmetic!
Thats what I thought to, I bout sh** myself when I got the estimate, Mine might of been a little worse, I think most of the cost half of it anyway, was the bumper, it got replaced and it was a factory bumper, I told them I didn't want a after market. The body looks like you could fix yourself,just take some time and try and get it all straight, the bumper, you will never get that fixed with a hammer, look for one on ebay or somewhere, might even try a salvage yard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not too worried about the body. It's not even that bad! I'll try and take some better pics when i take the bumper off tonight/tomorrow. You bet your legs i'm gonna try and get that dent out of it haha. I got a mallet, a wooden block, and a grudge. Lol. I just want it to look decent for the time being. I may get a new bumper eventually. But it isn't imperative.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
From looking at the pictures, I would be more concerned about rust developing where the paint is damaged than I would be about fixing the dented bumper. The bumper won't get any worse, but the fender probably will, and it eventually will cost you more money. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Sorry to hear about this happening. I had a similar thing happen to one of my cars many years ago.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I had almost the same issue. Got a new aftermarket bumper for about $300 and had the rear quarter done for about $800. The bumper is easy to remove and replace yourself if you want to fix it. Or maybe take it to a body shop and see what they can do with it. They have a lot more specialty tools than us average guys do and might be able to fix your bumper for a lot cheaper than you think. And all its going to cost is 10 minutes of your time to go to a shop and ask what they can do. Estimates are free after all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may do that when i get some free time actually.
As far as the rear panel goes. (Depending on what they say that is...) I'll chip off that paint a little bit, take my dremel with sand attachment and shine it up till it's nice and purrty. I gues then i'll match the color with a paint kit and put clear coat on it. I don't think the actual pushed in part will be too noticeable with the bumper reformed. At least i hope.
As far as i can tell, the procedure for sanding down and repaint is pretty easy. At least Popular Mechanics writes it up like it is...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:
I got the bumper off and hammered it out with a mallet and wood block. Took pics along the way and before and after that i'll post. Next step is to figure what to do with the body panel. It is actually worse than what i thought. Pic link are below(IMGur album so you can view all pics of the body). Any suggestions???

tundra dent repair - Imgur

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yup, just like mine looked. You really should consider taking it to a body shop. Not so much to pound out the dent but that spot will start to rust and spread. Take it to a body shop and get an estimate. It doesn't cost anything to get one and it might be cheaper than you think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to the body shop after work tomorrow. I've read that you can put a sander attachment on a dremel and sand down the area and buff till shiny. Then put paint prep on and paint from the dealership. Let it dry for 4-8 hours and reapply paint. Wait some more. Then you put on your clear coat and good to go!
I did try and hammer out the dent, it worked a bit but the paint started to flex and flake. The main thing besides that, is that the bumper is still bent. Not in the area of impact, but the whole thing. =[ Upload pics now to post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2006 DC SR5 Tundra.

6 bolts on top. Size 12 ratchet.

4 bolts on bottom. Size 12 ratchet.

Took the tailgate off to give some more room and a nice little shelf.

Got all the bolts out. 2 left on the towing package. You can really see the dent on the left side.

Before.

After. You can see how the plastic part doesn't fit flush on it. Two of the clips got broken so i'll probably purchase another plasic part at a later date. Also, the bumper is bent still like i said. I have NO idea how ot straighten the bastard out. But it looks so much better imho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts