Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to do a short simple write up of a simple, pretty much bolt in master cylinder and brake booster upgrade. After fighting with sub-par braking, I finally pulled the trigger on what JJC originally did. He's the one that originally did the R&D and swap, so credit is due there. But a T-100 MC and brake booster can be bolted in directly to the Tundra. The only thing that will have to be cut/modified is the pushrod on the new Booster that hooks to the brake pedal. If I remember correctly, a 1/2" of thread needs to be cut off because it is too long. Also, the old Aluminum spacer between the stock booster and the firewall will not need to be re-used because of the thickness of the new T-100 booster. You will need to buy 2 more nuts and lock washers for the master cylinder to bolt to the booster. Just take in one of the 2 old ones to ace or your favorite hardware store and find the same correct size. Also, the wires for the fuild sensor level need to be extended. The stock plug and the T-100 are the same, so just extend the wires to the correct length and plug in and go.

I got both the MC and booster from Rockauto.com

Brake Booster: A-1 Cardone Re-manufactured part #532791 w/o Abs - $245.99
Master Cylinder: DORMAN Part # M390149 1 1/16" bore w/ABS 1 ton - $87.79

Here are the part numbers that JJC used:
On the booster - I just went to Advanced Auto and picked up one for a 1996 T-100, but my research shows that the following are all the exact same booster -

1994-1998 Toyota T-100 & 1995-2001 Tacoma - Napa # NBB 532776

For the MC - I went with a 1996 T-100 HD. The Taco 1" works pretty good, but I definitely prefer the feel of the 1-1/16" with my four 1/2-ton GM calipers. Here's what I have for the 1-1/16" -

1994-1998 Toyota T-100 - Napa # TS 112710 (remanuf) / # UP 390149 (new)

The T-100 booster is a dual diaphragm setup, as opposed to the single diaphragm setup a stock tundra has. Pretty much the dual setup means less pedal input to get the brakes to start engaging. The master cylinder is 1 1/16" and the old tundra MC is 13/16", so its pushing more fluid. All this means better braking :D. jjc has the same setup on his tundra and he says it stops better than stock. So hopefully I will have the same outcome.

Got my brake parts today. Also Inchworm received the adapter plate and they already machined it out and it will ship back out today also. So hopefully I will have all that stuff by friday next week.

Here are a couple of pics. I got everything bolted up and I bench bled the master cylinder and started to bleed the brakes, but it was getting late and cold so I called it a night.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can you do an update on this? I'm pretty unhappy with the pedal drop on my 02 AC and wondered if this is the cure. Any negatives to this mod?

·
Registered
18 Posts
by chance is the Tacoma and T100 booster the same? only master cyl is different?
I buy used stuff on ebay. found a T100 booster or $50

·
Registered
77 Posts
I looked into parts availability for this upgrade, and I thought I read something somewhere that implied that this upgrade isn't compatible with ABS. True or not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
not compatiable with ABS unles you get an abs MC.
update: the T100 MC and taco booster went in great. easy swap. a lot better braking except I still have to pump the brake, air in rear lines prolly. cant bleed it that much. cant open rear bleeders. rusted bad :/
but when pumping the brake to stop can defiantly tell theres a lot more pressure

·
Registered
77 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts